Tucson Mobile Mechanic/Info Needed - 1984 Chevy 350 Engine Tuned Back In

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jacks18614 said:
With a 40 year old chassis there is a good chance the frame is not in the best shape. Now hitch a trailer with who knows how much tongue weight then apply the fulcrum effect with a massive overhang and there is a fair chance the emergency brake cables are being stretched to the point where the brake shoes are in contact with the rear drums.

No sound of metal on metal. Tested by mechanic running along side of vehicle while I drove.

Thank you

Wendy is asking for a mechanic, not for us to diagnose the problem over the internet. highdesertranger

WendyD said:
... until I hit 20 mph after a block or so, at which point, it gluggs like it can't get enough gas, or air mixture is incorrect.
I was able to drive at highway speeds without the trailer, yes.

How old is the gas? Has it been sitting for a while and not been driven? When you tried to pull the trailer were you going up a good sized hill?

The symptoms you describe just don't add up. If it runs 'fine' on the highway, pulling a small trailer shouldn't affect it that much. Have you ever weighed the trailer and/or the MH? Many people carry excess weight in their MH's and don't realize how much. Many Class C's that size have 454 or 440 engines and a 350 is a little light for a lot of weight.

I would drive it to a shop and have them look at it instead of trying a mobile mechanic. If they verify that it's running 'fine' as you describe, then start looking at the weight issues.

highdesertranger said:
Wendy is asking for a mechanic, not for us to diagnose the problem over the internet. highdesertranger

You're right. Old habit. Delete as necessary.

highdesertranger said:
Wendy is asking for a mechanic,  not for us to diagnose the problem over the internet.  highdesertranger

Thank you so very much...!

slow2day said:
How old is the gas?  Has it been sitting for a while and not been driven?  When you tried to pull the trailer were you going up a good sized hill?  

The symptoms you describe just don't add up. If it runs 'fine' on the highway, pulling a small trailer shouldn't affect it that much. Have you ever weighed the trailer and/or the MH?   Many people carry excess weight in their MH's and don't realize how much.  Many Class C's that size have 454 or 440 engines and a 350 is a little light for a lot of weight.

I would drive it to a shop and have them look at it instead of trying a mobile mechanic. If they verify that it's running 'fine' as you describe, then start looking at the weight issues.

Thank you