Trying to get over my fears..widower from Ga.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the advice. I have been watching Jamie and Bob for some time. They both are a wealth of information. I did get a quote from my agent. Again, appreciate all your help !

I subscribed when he first started his channel - thanks !
I have learned a lot and continue to learn.
My agent came up with a decent number for insurance after all..just so many loose ends here. I am still working full time in a stressful career. Trying to remember the adage, one day at a time.
So now it's a matter of selling everything I own. That's all, when I get out there one of the first things I will do is go to an animal shelter and get a buddy. That is going to be a Wonderful day !!

Chogger said:
That's all, when I get out there one of the first things I will do is go to an animal shelter and get a buddy. That is going to be a Wonderful day !!

I'd suggest that you get the new buddy BEFORE you get on the road!

Reason being, a lot of shelters won't let a nomad adopt an animal...something about fenced yard, stable home life....that sort of thing. Some shelters will but a lot won't have anything to do with us....really sad because all the nomads I know with pets have them living astoundingly good lives!

I was only thinking of the little guy's well being. I plan on stopping in Flagstaff to purchase all my solar stuff and didn't want to leave him/her in my bus alone.
That is truly a sad state of affairs regarding the attitude of people toward nomads.
This will be my first long trip in my rig too and just a little apprehensive.
Does this forum have a short cut I can use on my android phone ?
Thank you so much for the reality check..so many loose ends and still working full time. I needed a voice of reason and like it or not your it...tag
HaHa
See you down the road.
P.S.
I have a new name for social media " BluesBoonDocker "

Chogger

If you download the 'Tapatalk' app you can use it to access the forum (and a lot of other forums too).

That's what I've always used to access the forum regularly. It does have some drawbacks though, and not all the features available on the forum desktop site are available on the forum via the Tapatalk app. Specifically, there is no edit feature, so if I want to change a post after i've hit 'send', I have to use the web browser and access the forum desktop version to edit it.

Also changing anything in the 'user control panel' can't be done on Tapatalk either.

If you care to inquire about changing your username on here, maybe ask an admin if it's possible. There's something to be said for continuity, if you're interested.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Chogger said:
I plan on stopping in Flagstaff to purchase all my solar stuff 
See you down the road.

I haven't seen the solar video you were talking about, my bandwidth & time are limited so I don't do a lot of videos. 

Have you done any shopping for solar? There are good deals on panels to be had from craigslist and from Amazon. I have 340w of solar on my RV that cost me less than $700 for everything except the batteries.  This RV had batteries already. 

I've seen panels on craigslist for way less that $1 a watt, not a bad deal if you are there & have the cash ( I bought a 100w panel in Reading Calif for $90 when I was passing thru). I bought an mppt controller from Amazon & the wires & connectors from a vendor in Quartzsite. Before I had the cash there were 120w panels in the Portland, OR craigslist for $100.

There is all kinds of dispersed camping in the Flagstaff area if you need to be near a town. Plenty just outside the Grand Canyon south entrance too (a 70-75 mile drive from Flagstaff).    

This forum ... I do this forum on my laptop, pdanet can connect your computer to the internet thru your android phone.

Being alone can be tough, living with a dog in a van in the summer can be tough too, there will be other times the animal can't go with you.  But lot's of people do it.
Good luck with the dog...

Rob,
Great advice ! When looking for solar on craigslist can you give me some pointers on what to avoid or better yet what type of panels etc would you recommend.
I appreciate your time and help..trying to get everything done in a few short weeks is a bit much.
Best,
Chuck

Chuck, before changing your name to AnythingBoonDocker, you might try boondocking first. Just saying. You might not like boondocking all that well. I have a van and prefer staying in NatlForest CGs, since they normally have shade trees, toilets, and dumpsters, so I don't need to store my poop for days in plastic bags. If you're 60 or so, you can get a Senior Pass and so CGs only cost about $10/night on average in the west.

In regards solar, there are a bazillion threads on this forum, and youtubes of course. Most people say monocrystalline, Renogy, and many also say MPPT. The first thing to figure out is how much you realistically need. Some people have 500-600W or more, and some like me only 100W. I have a panel that I put outside during the daytime. I just use inside Led lighting and run my laptop occasionally. But many other people have frigerators, TVs, microwaves, internet links, on and on.

Everything in this life is a tradeoff, and you need to try things a step at a time, and figure out what works good (not necessarily best) for you. People tend to reorganize things as they go. My 100W solar system already cost me $300-400 inc panel, controller, wiring, batteries, and inverter. 400-500W will be that much more in cost. Nowadays many are going to Lithium batteries, but I wouldn't have one of those in my van, due to safety concerns (this is debatable of course).

You can start small and do it so it can be expanded. I screwed up on this myself out of stupidity, but if you go with a standard recommended battery, UB121000, then you can start with one or two, and expand to more of these over time if you need to.
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Power-Group-12-Volt/dp/B01053JZ52

Chogger said:
Rob,
Great advice  ! When looking for solar on craigslist can you give me some pointers on what to avoid or better yet what type of panels etc would you recommend.
I appreciate your time and help..trying to get everything done in a few short weeks is a bit much.
Best,
Chuck

I know of no reason your original solar plans aren't reasonable. Bob wouldn't steer you wrong but there are other options.
This is something you need to study up a bit on and make your own decision. I've talked about this a bit on my blog and several others who know far more about this than I do chime in from time to time on these forums (JimInDenver comes to mind). A little reading and you'll know who really knows.

Slow down a bit Chuck, this (going nomad) was a long process for me & believe it or not you do have time.  Once you hit the road you'll see. 
A $20 blow up mattress from WM & some blankets from the Goodwill can give you a good night sleep in your rig... Even with the crap you want to take stacked around you in 10 gallon Rubbermaid tubs ... Oh wait, that was me!

My biggest lesson in all this so far has been "too much stuff", I'm still trying to lean that one   :)

Chogger said:
I was only thinking of the little guy's well being. I plan on stopping in Flagstaff to purchase all my solar stuff and didn't want to leave him/her in my bus alone.

I for one am very glad to see someone thinking of someone besides himself first.

Hurray to you for putting the needs of others before your own, even if it's "only" a dog.  To me, a pet is your charge.  He or she didn't volunteer for this relationship, you did.  And that means that you owe him/her, because that pet has nowhere else to turn to and nothing else to hope for but your kindness and intelligence.  You are the boss of benevolence and it can't come from anywhere but you.  In return for eager and unfaltering love and acceptance and a ton of fun, I think that's a fair trade.  I think of my dog all the time and hope everyone else thinks of their pet too, right up front where they should, even before themselves.

In my house, the animals eat first.

Welcome to you, Chuck.  You're going to do just fine.  Most of us don't have a cushion either.  You'll be able to save some scratch by living this way.  Way better off than renting a room somewhere.

Glad you're here.