Hello all...I could use a word of encouragement

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to be a full time vehicle dweller, (mostly boats, but RV also).
You are the parent of your children, not the other way around.
If you want to try something, as an adult you do not need to explain or justify to anyone else. You do not need permission.
If you disobey your children are they going to spank you?
I don't know if you should, or should not do anything. That is your job.

Good for you, and good luck!

If you don't find an actual travel/cooking buddy, there are other ways to connect with fellow nomads -- I'm not speaking from experience, but others here can fill you in on various gatherings, caravans, etc., which sound like a lot of fun. That way you'd have company without someone living in your back pocket. (Personally I'd recommend that more than taking a stranger onboard, but you know what's best for you.)

I can speak from experience that you can survive your own cooking. I'm a very lazy cook, but I've found enough easy meals to get by and actually enjoy.

Sounds like you're taking your time and not getting started till the worst of the cold is over. That seems smart. Have you thought about taking a couple of shorter trips before you take the full nomad plunge, just to make sure this particular form of new adventure really suits you?

And OK, I'm feeling a strong urge to say this: be careful about trusting strangers, e.g. letting someone you don't know well have the keys to your trailer. -- Is that insulting? You know how to take care of yourself. Just, be careful.

You also know you don't have to put your private email up here, right? people can private-message you through the forum.

Well by now I probably sound like a total worry-wort. Just want to make sure these things are said once, then you do what seems right to you. This is a friendly bunch and you can get a lot of fellowship (here, and apparently on the road too!) without giving away any more private space than you want to.

I think it was the other Roosevelt (Franklin). Yes, she's beautiful. Enjoy your new adventure!

think out of the box. If you're a good caregiver I'll bet there's single or couples seniors traveling around in big class A's or fifth wheels where you could barter caregiving for accommodations and travel with them. That's my long term plan except I will be going to the Philippines to recruit my caregiver and bring them in on a revolving tourist visa as my "traveling companion"

I’m nearly 59 years old. No complaints about life at all. I have a wife, two teen aged sons, and two border collies. I outright own my house on my acre and a quarter. We are happy and stable.

However, if I could find a sliver sides bus and refit it, I’d be happy to be on the road permanently. This idea is really complicated for my family right now, though.

I’m quite sure that I’d sell out and hit the road if I didn’t have the responsibilities to my family that I do have.

Well, that’s what I’d do. I’ve lived my life so far under the idea that it’s up to the living to keep on living, even after our loved ones die. Anything less than that, and more than one person died, as I see it.
Don't go all in when starting out. Ease into it over 1 or 2 years. Trust me, it's nice having a home to come back to.

Hi all,
I am just beginning to look for a van and seriously looking into van life. I'm 62, still working. I've worked all my life and never gotten above poverty level. I've always worked as a caregiver, which pays little, but I've enjoyed my work and I was good at it.
What has me down right now is my daughter constantly telling me what a bad idea it is for me to think about living in a van, and how because of my health and things this is crazy. She thinks I should rent a room somewhere, or get a room mate and rent a place. Both of these things are still very expensive for me, and I wouldn't feel comfortable. I feel like I would just be working to sleep in a place with furniture. I'm just feel discouraged. Of course it's scary to try something new, but I want to try. I want to spend my life living, not just staying "safer".
If anyone has been through this kind of thing with their kids and can share some encouragement, please let me hear from you. Also, anyone in the Pennsylvania region with tips for winter and summer...love to hear from you too. Anyone know about a decent van for cheap??? :)
Hope to hear from you! Blessings!
Phyllis
I know you asked for support. I hope not just a bunch of "go for it" replies. I would advise having a serious talk with yourself. What are your motivations and goals? What resources (possessions and income) can you depend on? Van life doesn't make all the problems go away. You will certainly get some new problems - as well as keeping many of the old ones.

The issues of people with a desire to travel with a reasonably fat wallet are far different than those facing people that are just trying to find a cheaper way to "get by" on limited resources.

I am not saying this is a bad way of life. For many of us, it is the best life. But, to avoid making things worse, be brutally honest with yourself.

Since it's been so long since the OP has been around, has anyone thought about PM'ing her to see if she's still considering this move or has gotten underway?

Cheers!

I find that you can reliably predict the future by past relevant behavior. I think the only safe place for you is to explore social services. Section 8 housing and habitat for humanity. Theres also food pantries etc as well as social programs. I am not being demeaning to you. Hitting the road will not be a long term solution for you I expect and I would offer this insight to anyone.

Welcome to the forum fellow Pennsylvanian. I was born and raised in central Pennsylvania and now I’m a 65-year-old nomad with a permanent address in Lebanon Pennsylvania. That address is just a mailbox. I part time do the van camping for many years That address is just a mailbox. I part time van camper and state park Campos for many year. Because of my health problems the state park doesn’t allow me to host anymore.

I’ve been full-time in this van now for a year. In order to stay cool I get up in the mountains. At this point I’m in Perry County in the Tuscarora forest on free forest sites and sometimes at a cousins cabin, still in my van but at her property. I spent the winter in Florida and was planning to spend most of the summer in Maine but gas prices are too high to do that. I had a accident that’s going to cost me $1600 to get the van inspected. Inspection runs out November. The van is drivable just not going to passed inspection.

My health problems are multiple I’ve had many people tell me I’m a fool for trying to do something like this. I was even in a personal care home for a year, it drove me crazy. I just had to get out.My family it’s not real supportive of what I do but I haven’t had a lot of resistance from them. Four of my five children don’t communicate with me so they don’t argue about my lifestyle. My mom is still alive she thinks I’m nuts. ( of course she’s right).

I’m not gonna go into all the details of my health problems but basically the message is similar to the others “if I can do it you can do it.” I don’t have AC in the van at all so it’s the mountains and the trees that help me survive the heat and it’s Florida that helps me survive the winter. PA state forestry department has many free campsites available. You have to have a permit and you can stay seven days at one side and then move on to another.

If you don’t mind let me know what area PA you’re in. If you don’t want that to be on this public forum you can PM me here. Maybe we’re close enough to get together. If you’re so minded.

My suggestion about your daughter is get her to see some of these videos of successful van dwellers. There are so many of us out here doing it. If she sees some examples she might lighten up and see the possibilities for you.

Be encouraged, stick around this forum, maybe even share this forum with your daughter. And again welcome to our forum
how do you PM on here?

Unfortunately, they were only active for a month (7 months ago) It would indicate they did not pursue getting a van. Hope they are doing well and managing.

Latest posts