Truck with trailer or RV?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zhoo Zhitsu

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Nissan Frontier 4 banger. Should I sell it and buy and RV or Get a trailer? What's better and why?

Zhoo Zhitsu said:
I have a 2000 Nissan Frontier 4 banger. Should I sell it and buy and RV or Get a trailer? What's better and why?
<div><br></div><div>What's better for what?</div>

vonu said:
Zhoo Zhitsu said:
I have two dogs and myself, so space. Also, what more cost effective?What has better fuel economy? Etc....ad infinitum.

<FONT size=3>There are a couple of websites that kind of walk you through the process of choosing which type of RV might be best or at least give you some food for thought.</FONT><br><FONT size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<br><A href="http://www.rv-dreams.com/choosing-an-rv.html" target=_blank><FONT size=3>http://www.rv-dreams.com/choosing-an-rv.html</FONT></A><br><FONT size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<br><A href="http://rvbasics.com/techtips/which-rv-is-right-for-you.html" target=_blank><FONT size=3>http://rvbasics.com/techtips/which-rv-is-right-for-you.html</FONT></A><br><FONT size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT size=3>Many bloggers have detailed their decision process in their blogs.&nbsp; Different forums are also a wealth of information.</FONT><br><FONT size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT size=3>I have a truck (ok, it's not really a truck, it's a Ford Ranger)&nbsp;and am sort of lookin at travel trailers.&nbsp; But I'd much prefer a Class C due to space issues with my dog riding in the cab of the truck.</FONT><br><FONT size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<br>

This might be a good place to address something Cyndi had in her blog: people selling RVs that put no pertinent info in their ads and act like you are bothering them when you ask for more pix or simple, basic info like mileage or engine size or length or if the damned thing has a generator...or not. Cyndi, I totally relate to your rant on this topic as I find the same thing over and over and it drives me nuts as EVERYTHING is hours away from me and because of my fragile dog (from a stroke) I need to have lots of info and lots of photos before I try and make a 6 hour roundtrip. I'm tired of ads that read:<br><br>" 1994 Bozo Brand Class A...ready for camping, sleeps 5, new tires...great deal, lots of room for shotguns and quilting supplies...here's a pic of the toilet and the trailer hitch...never smoked in it, call Bootsey or Clyde at xxx-xxx-xxxx"<br><br>I'm also having trouble deciding just what I Really want or need...never have trouble making decisions, but this perplexes me...Class A...B...or C????? I know I want something in the 24-27 foot range but that's as far as I've got...surprising I can't seem to get to a consensus of all the opposing thoughts in my apparently deficient brain!!!!! Getting close when I see the 26 foot rear bed 1990's Born Free Class B's...but rare or 1400 miles from me!<br><br>

It can take time Dust. I spent a better part of a year looking for one.&nbsp;I know how annoying it is to have to ask them for details, but don't ever let that bother you. I learned a lack of details usually meant they're lazy or hiding something. Don't let their attitudes bother you. Ask them as many questions as it takes to satisfy you. It's your right to do so and your money. No harm in making them squirm a little.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>Wish I could offer you help with the distance issue, but can't. I had a lot of seemingly great trailers sell out from under because of that.</div><div><br></div>

<FONT size=3>Dust, in this case misery is not loving the company!&nbsp; I'd love to hear that&nbsp;you found the perfect vehicle!</FONT><br><FONT size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT size=3>Steve, I agree with you that the lack of information stems from lazy, or hiding somethng...usually after I make the minimum of an hours drive to go look at something it seems to be that they're hiding something.&nbsp; And that's also the same reason the vehicle is still available by the time I get there!&nbsp; And you can just add ignorance to that.&nbsp; The rig was inherited or only recently purchased and the sellers are clueless.</FONT><br><FONT size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT size=3>AJ, If you read this, I haven't forgotten about your beyond kind and generous offer.&nbsp; It's slow going recuping my savings, but we're getting closer.&nbsp;</FONT><br><FONT size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT size=3>Khaosinc, ditto that!&nbsp;</FONT><br>

Zhoo Zhitsu said:
vonu said:
Zhoo Zhitsu said:
I have two dogs and myself, so space. Also, what more cost effective?What has better fuel economy? Etc....ad infinitum.
<div><br></div><div>Evaluating a mobile abode on the basis of fuel economy will move you into a tent. &nbsp;A two man tent would probably sleep you and two dogs. &nbsp;If the dogs are big enough to carry packs, you might not need to carry one yourself. &nbsp;You can go places on foot with two dogs that no one can go with any fueled vehicle, well beyond the easy or likely reach of whatever you wish to avoid. &nbsp;The problem then comes in feeding all of you, especially the carnivorous pack animals:) &nbsp;If you are the least bit mechanically inclined and/or have tools, you could build a pretty nice place to live into the back of your fuel-efficient small pickup truck. &nbsp;That's the route I'd take, FWIW.</div>

cyndi said:
<font size="3">There are a couple of websites that kind of walk you through the process of choosing which type of RV might be best or at least give you some food for thought.</font><br><font size="3"></font>&nbsp;<br><a href="http://www.rv-dreams.com/choosing-an-rv.html" target="_blank"><font size="3">http://www.rv-dreams.com/choosing-an-rv.html</font></a><br><font size="3"></font>&nbsp;<br><a href="http://rvbasics.com/techtips/which-rv-is-right-for-you.html" target="_blank"><font size="3">http://rvbasics.com/techtips/which-rv-is-right-for-you.html</font></a><br><font size="3"></font>&nbsp;<br><font size="3">Many bloggers have detailed their decision process in their blogs.&nbsp; Different forums are also a wealth of information.</font><br><font size="3"></font>&nbsp;<br><font size="3">I have a truck (ok, it's not really a truck, it's a Ford Ranger)&nbsp;and am sort of lookin at travel trailers.&nbsp; But I'd much prefer a Class C due to space issues with my dog riding in the cab of the truck.</font><br><font size="3"></font>&nbsp;<br>
Thanks for the links. I like Cattle Dogs too. In fact I have two.

vonu said:
Zhoo Zhitsu said:
vonu said:
Zhoo Zhitsu said:
<div><br></div><div>Evaluating a mobile abode on the basis of fuel economy will move you into a tent. &nbsp;A two man tent would probably sleep you and two dogs. &nbsp;If the dogs are big enough to carry packs, you might not need to carry one yourself. &nbsp;You can go places on foot with two dogs that no one can go with any fueled vehicle, well beyond the easy or likely reach of whatever you wish to avoid. &nbsp;The problem then comes in feeding all of you, especially the carnivorous pack animals:) &nbsp;If you are the least bit mechanically inclined and/or have tools, you could build a pretty nice place to live into the back of your fuel-efficient small pickup truck. &nbsp;That's the route I'd take, FWIW.</div>
Sorry, non of this is in my wheel house. I have little interest in living in a tent. I plan on working and training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu all over the United States, Canada and possibly South America. I have a trade where clients handing me a crisp stack of hundreds is not uncommon. It's only a matter of time before I drive to the state that needs the most work and make a big payday and the either buy a RV or trailer. Until that happens I need to know RV or Trailer to start my journey?

Zhoo Zhitsu said:
vonu said:
Zhoo Zhitsu said:
vonu said:
Zhoo Zhitsu said:
Sorry, non of this is in my wheel house. I have little interest in living in a tent. I plan on working and training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu all over the United States, Canada and possibly South America. I have a trade where clients handing me a crisp stack of hundreds is not uncommon. It's only a matter of time before I drive to the state that needs the most work and make a big payday and the either buy a RV or trailer. Until that happens I need to know RV or Trailer to start my journey?
<div>You could put a shell on the truck and keep on truckin':)</div><div>Alternatively, you could get a small 5th wheel and keep the truck you already know.</div>

Putting a camper shell on your Nissan will increase the gas mileage.&nbsp; I put one on an 85 Nissan (2.4 L) I had and it gave me 3 MPG more on the freeway !<br>

CP said:
Putting a camper shell on your Nissan will increase the gas mileage.&nbsp; I put one on an 85 Nissan (2.4 L) I had and it gave me 3 MPG more on the freeway !<br>
<div><br></div><div>I guess Mythbusters didn't use a 85 Nissan...</div>

vonu said:
<div>You could put a shell on the truck and keep on truckin':)</div><div>Alternatively, you could get a small 5th wheel and keep the truck you already know.</div>
<br><br>There isn't a fifth wheel that a 2000 4cly Nissan Frontier can haul. If I remember correctly, as I used to have an Xterra, his towing capacity is just over 1000lbs. Good luck towing anything bigger than a popup or tear drop. Uhaul wont even rent him anything but their smallest trailer and it is too heavy when loaded.<br><br>If I had a small truck, I would get a flippac.&nbsp; <br>

One of the basic considerations in trailer vs motorcoach concerns the amount of time the unit will be parked in the same spot. If you're going to be constantly on the move, a different location every night, or if you're going to park late and leave early (on a regular basis) then you'll probably lean towards&nbsp;a self-contained motorized unit; An A, B or C. Else you have to deal with constantly pulling a trailer, or&nbsp;hooking up and unhooking a numerous amount of times. Everytime you want to drive without the trailer, you have to uncouple it. &nbsp;If you've&nbsp;got a permanent place to park, you can drop a tailer there and leave it, you'll get better space and value out of a pull behind unit.&nbsp; A motorcoach you just unplug (if you've electric available) and drive. Once you've made up your mind about a trailer or a motorized coach,&nbsp; you can start looking at more specific options.<BR><BR>Dust: if you're looking for over 25' you can probably rule out a B. There are few A's in that size range as well, though they are available. While an A probably has a superior ride and more durable chassis, the C will have more available to you in that size, and it will be easier to find mechanics to work on it (more available and probably at a cheaper rate) since it is a basic&nbsp; passenger style van that's been modified.<BR><BR>Dogs in a B? No.<BR>

What homeless said: you won't find a 5th wheel your little Nissan can pull. You might construct an in-bed unit if you're the least bit handy, but watch the weight.

Personally if I had your little 4 banger that gets awesome millage;<div>find a small Alaska style camper that fits in the back,</div><div>find a small slide in, yes they are out there,</div><div>3rd - Find a truck cap that is same width but longer, you can mount it up on wooden sides and make a floor for over the cab. This is a small home build slide in style! Any decent carpenter can do that, you do work in construction right?</div><div><br></div><div>Build in a sleeping loft over the cab for you, keep the dogs out with some netting, build a sitting area, kitchen area with a small stove,&nbsp;Coleman&nbsp;3 burner or just use two One burners, small sink etc. Shower using hoola hoop setup, see this site.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>You can easily pull a small utility trailer as well for some of the extra stuff, or make it the field kitchen etc, storage shed whathaveyou... Now before the pundits jump on this, well I done saw one similar last week drive by me, I thought how smart is that, very smart. With the&nbsp;homebuilt&nbsp;slidein and trailer he probably still gets better fuel&nbsp;mileage&nbsp;than my Astro Van. (sorry no pics they were going the other way!)</div><div><br></div><div>Small utility trailers can be built with&nbsp;Aluminium&nbsp;frames or steel frames with&nbsp;Aluminium&nbsp;studs to keep the weight down. Even my&nbsp;homebuilt&nbsp;utility trailer can be pulled by a 4 banger car, my buddy did it with no problems, up and down hills. Mine is light, built that way. Uhaul trailers on the other hand a designed to be pulled by people who only move every 2-3 yrs, have never driven anything bigger than a Volvo and do not know how to drive at all. Uhaul trailers are big,&nbsp;heavy&nbsp;overbuilt for a very good reason, they are idiot proof!&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>My little utility trailer is 6' long by 4' wide, wooden floor and walls on a steel frame with a tarp and wooden roof. I can move it around just by picking up the tongue, it also has a wheel lift in the front if needed. Your best to learn to pack it right, then you can have more stuff in it, with proper balance!&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>I have also seen very small 5th wheels that a 4 banger could pull, but honestly they were only good for a single horse. A waste of space in my opinion.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Even if you only put a regular truck cap on the back and raised it up it would be a very workable arrangement. Look for ones that have built on Ladder Racks, they are much more workable. Remember that the little Ranger is basically a Mazda, so buying parts is easier unless you have the American engine, then it is Ford only, but most of the 4 bangers are Mazda. Try googling this, here is a link...</div><div><h3 class="post-title" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 17px; line-height: 1.5em; background-image: url(http://www.blogblog.com/rounders3/icon_arrow.gif); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; display: block; border-top-style: dotted; border-right-style: dotted; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-left-style: dotted; border-top-color: rgb(187, 187, 153); border-right-color: rgb(187, 187, 153); border-bottom-color: rgb(187, 187, 153); border-left-color: rgb(187, 187, 153); border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-left-width: 1px; padding-top: 2px; padding-right: 14px; padding-bottom: 2px; padding-left: 29px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; background-position: 10px 0.5em; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; "><a href="http://lightweightcamper.blogspot.com/2005/03/lightweight-pickup-truck-rv-camper.html" target="_blank">Lightweight pickup truck RV camper</a>&nbsp;little article right there</h3></div><div>Good luck</div>

Here is another like using Google<div><h2 class="teaser-title" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0.5em; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.1; font-size: 1.3em; color: rgb(73, 73, 73); font-family: Arial, sans-serif; "><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#336699"><a href="http://www.mobilecheap.org/tag/homebuilt-camper" target="_blank">A Homebuilt Pop Up Camper</a></font></h2></div>

Hey Seraphim-<br>Good points on the mechanical side but the class B I've fallen in love with is a Born free President and it is 26 feet with a rear bed AND a sofa AND 2 chairs...so they Do exist but are rare and I guess 26 is about the limit...this one is at a dealer in San Antonio and I'm in Virginia and unable to travel right now so dang...from what I can tell the 26 foot class B IS a rare animal indeed. Zap made some good points on another thread in favor of the class B over the older C's. So to Zhoo, it IS a dilemma trying to decide which way to go...but as posters on this thread have covered...moving alot means go motorized. Dust<br><br>

<P><FONT size=3>Looked up your camper - not to pick nits but all the Born Free's I've seen&nbsp;are Class C's: the original van body has been replaced with a different wider body. If the side of the unit flares out wider than the the driver and passenger doors, it's a C. But if you like it, who cares what it's called?</FONT></P>

Latest posts