Truck Camping on a Budget

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadbiker1

Reaction score
Here is my work in progress: Toyota Tacoma 4x4 long bed for additional bed comfort. As you see on photo from left to right I have my portable solar generator (solar roof system is on order), water supply can, 35qt dometic fridge with some very basic side mounted plastic cases.

Future project I hope before the 2017 RTR is my roof top solar 200 watt system, roof mounted solar shower, porta-potty with enclosure portable.

Still learning from fellow truck campers for ideas and upgrades.

Attachments

• 00R0R_hZFeZq1msLR_300x300.jpg
    00R0R_hZFeZq1msLR_300x300.jpg
    10.6 KB
  • 4x4 Camping.jpg
    4x4 Camping.jpg
    153.5 KB
Cool setup! what topper is that, brand, price? I am thinking about doing the same.

Great setup in the truck. Be careful with that water jug. I have the same one and once in a while it wants to leak where the valve stem screws into the fill cap. I should probably wrap it with some teflon tape and thread it back in tight.

Nice, but your missing one important essential item. Where's the bike? :)

Minivanmotoman said:

I saw a trailer hitch on the back of the truck so I didn't ask that question.

Nice job. Looks like an A.R.E. MX truck cap, I'm looking at those too. Walk in back door, pass through window up front for air flow (flips in for glass cleaning), 62 pounds, and plenty of roof space for solar especially if using the cab too. I like the lighting you have in there too. And yeah, flip that water jug up till you need it.

rm.w/aview said:
Nice job. Looks like an A.R.E. MX truck cap, I'm looking at those too. Walk in back door, pass through window up front for air flow (flips in for glass cleaning), 62 pounds, and plenty of roof space for solar especially if using the cab too. I like the lighting you have in there too. And yeah, flip that water jug up till you need it.

Correct! Still have plenty to improve but my No 1 was my cozy bed which I also plan to raise up a little higher since I did not go with the underneath storage plan. Therefore, I can use a full size mattress.  

I hope to have more improvement before the RTR. 

Thanks!

Minivanmotoman said:

My road bike is on top of the truck as I use a Yakima system above the drivers roof with a rack box as well.    :)

Motrukdriver said:
Great setup in the truck.  Be careful with that water jug.  I have the same one and once in a while it wants to leak where the valve stem screws into the fill cap.  I should probably wrap it with some teflon tape and thread it back in tight.

Thanks for the heads up. I was planning and placing face up during the drive. This position was only for demo. 

Thanks!

Thats a very nice topper you got there! Lots of flexibility. I'm full time out of a topper myself. A few things to consider;

- Is it just you or you + 1 that will be sleeping in the truck. If it's just you then I would really consider cutting the bed in half and leaving floor space so you can sit up with your feet on the floor.

- With that very nice entry system on your topper you had to sacrifice tour tailgate. Fair trade off but the tailgate is a sturdy horizontal work/cooking platform. You'll need to carry something to replicate that.

- Consider the addition of a high quality tarp that you can rig either with or without using the truck as an anchor point. Since truck campers live out of their vehicles more than in them, the tarp gives some definition to their campsite, provides shade and looks cool.

Great looking rig, you're gonna love it!
fa082df7c10ed75e28794c5082a7bd11.jpg

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

If you can handle my ugly mug for a couple of minutes I show my system.  I also use a half bed, but use the other side for more permanent storage.  The other half is a bed roll and my outside the vehicle sitting, and living space. I now have a Dometic in that 'storage' half. I cook off the tailgate.  I've added an awning since, but only use it when it is hot or raining. 

One thing I really like is the side opening windows - it makes access so much easier. 

It isn't stealthy, but I really like it.

Nice yard Mr. Tooley :) Do you use 4H as a fail safe, or do you use 2H and switch to 4WD when conditions warrant, given that 4L conditions are fairly obvious.

trailsailor said:
- With that very nice entry system on your topper you had to sacrifice tour tailgate. Fair trade off but the tailgate is a sturdy horizontal work/cooking platform.  You'll need to carry something to replicate that.

The A.R.E. Walk-In Door series can also flip open like that standard rear window on a cap, giving access to the full width of the bed.

rm.w/aview said:
Nice yard Mr. Tooley :) Do you use 4H as a fail safe, or do you use 2H and switch to 4WD when conditions warrant, given that 4L conditions are fairly obvious.

It's actually a 2wd, like the Toyota Prerunner.  Ford only made a few of them.  When conditions warrant I hit the gas and bounce.  I did lose a ball joint at 280k.`

I'm curious why you didn't go with the bed higher up? In my last truck with an 8' box and topper/cap, I had a platform that was mounted half way between the box and cap, thus giving a ton of storage underneath while still allowing for a huge bed. Headroom suffers a bit, but it's fine if you're just going to be sleeping and relaxing in there.

roadbiker1 said:
Here is my work in progress: Toyota Tacoma 4x4 long bed for additional bed comfort. As you see on photo from left to right I have my portable solar generator (solar roof system is on order), water supply can, 35qt dometic fridge with some very basic side mounted plastic cases.

Future project I hope before the 2017 RTR is my roof top solar 200 watt system, roof mounted solar shower, porta-potty with enclosure portable.

Still learning from fellow truck campers for ideas and upgrades.

Exact same truck model i have been looking at: 2017/18 access cab trd sport. You have the automatic? Any problems with your vehicle? What do you think about the closed xmission and the lack of low end grunt on the new atkinson engine?

Thanks,

John C