Truck camper without a truck bed?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RS4_12

Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1451940593449.jpg
can you buy truck campers like this picture? I was thinking that this would be nice incase I buy a truck with a flatbed or no bed so I don't have to go looking for one.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1451940593449.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1451940593449.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 36
I'm pretty sure that job was done by a creative guy with an angle grinder and a camper body.

So, yes, you can buy something like that if you pay a guy with an angle grinder and a camper body.

It's essentially a Class-C RV. It's just that these days they tend to use van chassis rather than pickups, though there are still some of those being made.

MrNoodly said:
It's essentially a Class-C RV. It's just that these days they tend to use van chassis rather than pickups, though there are still some of those being made.
Oh ok that's what I was thinking. Is there still cab access from the back though? And do you still have to get stronger suspension that way?

Some of the truck camper manufacturers make models designed for Flatbed bodies.

Regards
John

PS:  Here's a pic of a restored 1972 Alaskan Camper on a modern flatbed:

Attachments

• Alaskan-America-restored-aluminum-flatbed.jpg
    Alaskan-America-restored-aluminum-flatbed.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 16
That appears to be an early Class C Motorhome. Either 1960s or 1970s. They were building on a truck chassis. If anyone is familiar with the micro mini that Dolphin and Winnebago made, you'll see they are quite alike. There a couple of truck camper manufacturers that will do a camper for a flatbed but they are quite expensive. What is nice though with the flat beds is that there is extra storage areas.

Snow Gypsy said:
That appears to be an early Class C Motorhome.  Either 1960s or 1970s. 

That Chevy/ GMC pickup is from the '70s.

One of the reasons most Class C manufacturers use van chassis is that with a shorter hood they can fit more living space into the over all length.

You could buy a truck service body and convert it - however I imagine a service body - new or used - is wildly expensive?

New service bodies run $7k to $10k, but in my area I see used ones on Craig's list regularly for $200 - $500 in decent shape except paint. I'm toying with the idea myself. I have an old '86 Ford work truck I'm thinking of putting one on with a pop up camper that's been gutted that I can get for free. My only hold back is the truck was built in the age of 55 mph speed limits and that is what it likes to do on the freeway. Maybe not such a bad thing to slow down a little, but it also currently only gets 10 mpg or so - I ideally would like to get double that.

In my area, service bodies can also be had for a few hundred dollars. Crazy cheap for what you are getting. Many are made to fit on extended chassis with the 1 ton dually axle, so be sure to measure length and width to make sure it fits your rig.

You can purchase campers that are made specifically for flatbeds. I'm making a custom flatbed camper because I don't care to fork out $30,000 for a new camper that isn't insulated as well as it could be and has amenities built in that I don't want like holding tanks and inefficient furnaces.

Latest posts