Truck camper shell for van hightop

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_elijah_gardner

Reaction score
A while back there was a van for sale that used a camper shell from a pickup as a hightop for a van. It looked really good. I'm trying to find a picture of a setup like that to no avail.

I'm not really thinking about doing it. I'm in a discussion with my brother about it. If anyone has a picture of a setup like this it would be appreciated.

I don't have a pic but wow, I'm trying to wrap my mind around how nice that could be. Please post it here if you find it on your own! Would love to see it.

Is it my imagination, or were the first high-tops actually fiberglass boats attached upside down to the top of the van??

103ea633d7b1947bfee5a5d103f48de1.jpg

Is this the one? I found several on Pinterest but this one looked most like what you described.

No it isn't. It was an actual pickup truck shell. I can't believe I didn't save a picture of it. It was in the trading pot here. The CL ad has since expired and there isn't an archive.

The camper shell was installed by a camper shell company and was color matched to the van. Looked super nice. It didn't go the whole length of the van just the 8 feet the truck bed would have been.

I can't find any pics and have looked for days. It seems like a plasulable DIY hightop.

This is a 5 minute photoshop job.  The more I keep thinking about it the more I'm tempted to buy a craigslist topper and put it on my van.

Attachments

• poorphotshopvan.png
    poorphotshopvan.png
    771 KB
I don't see why not with some planning. People make all kinds of stuff to suit their needs.

Like these:

bugonbus.jpg

vanonbus.png

Attachments

• bugonbus.jpg
    bugonbus.jpg
    7.9 KB
  • vanonbus.png
    vanonbus.png
    114.3 KB
Yes, used minivans are about a dime a dozen*. If you cut the top off, it's narrower and shorter than a full size, plus your attic has windows, and is, well, designed to be a vehicle roof.
Well, maybe just a little harder than just typing it out on keyboard, LoL

*Nickel a gross sometimes

UptownSport said:
Yes, used minivans are about a dime a dozen*. If you cut the top off, it's narrower and shorter than a full size, plus your attic has windows, and is, well, designed to be a vehicle roof.
Well, maybe just a little harder than just typing it out on keyboard, LoL

*Nickel a gross sometimes

I thought about a minivan roof a while back. It would take a lot of fab work to make everything match up after I started measuring I noticed windshield sits lower than dide windows and lots of metal to fill in. Also weighs a lot. My van is already really heavy.

I think a shell from a smaller truck like a long bed toyota would be a good fit. 

I did notice my van is about 4 inches wider than my silverado so a full size truck shell will work.

I just need a little convincing to ruin my van for the sake of solving if its a feasible idea.

mr_elijah_gardner said:
This is a 5 minute photoshop job.  The more I keep thinking about it the more I'm tempted to buy a craigslist topper and put it on my van.

Looks like you'd have trouble with the aerodynamics of that photoshop job.  I'm loving this idea though.  I wonder if there is some way to improve the aerodynamics.

mr_elijah_gardner said:
I just need a little convincing to ruin my van for the sake of solving if its a feasible idea.

And I'm sitting here hoping that Mr. Gardner would try it first.  I volunteer to be moral support!  You can do it Mr. Gardner!!!

I know there's some pics of it done on google images.
I actually debated doing exactly this to one of my old Astros.
Just have to figure out how to close in one end really.
My concern is that it will look off and draw too much attention.

I've seen pictures of it. Sure can't find any now. I'm going to do it. I plan to do a whole writeup of the process. If it doesn't work then we will all know. I can always save the old roof metal and weld it back in. If it does could be a great solution! I think it may take some creativity but is doable.

Looking at camper shells on CL and doing some planning.

Anyone wanna donate a camper shell to the cause in Southern KY?

I'd close in one end of the truck topper and mold to fit BEFORE cutting the van roof. Then set in place and have a look see.

Gideon33w said:
I'd close in one end of the truck topper and mold to fit BEFORE cutting the van roof. Then set in place and have a look see.

I'm looking for a shell that has a front window. I think the roof ahold flex enough to seal.

Obviously lots of planning and pre fitting. Looking for the right shell first.

I've got pictures of one I saw in Colorado that show how poorly it can be done. I won't post them for a few reasons, but suffice to say it looked very crude. But, it serves its purpose so the owner is probably happy. I think with skills and care it could be pulled off nicely, but it wouldn't be an easy project.

An Astro owner used a fiberglass pickup topper as the basis for a Westfalia style pop-up. He only used the upper part of the topper, above the windows, and then he still had extensive fiberglass work to finish the project. Very professional results.

What about a cheap, used, jon-boat turned upside down?

Hey we're in uncharted waters, no pun intended, right?

Anyone willing to try that with photoshop?