Truck-camper-shell Computer setups

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G0ldengirl68 said:
How they figure a Mazda B3000 V6 is a commercial vehicle is beyond me.

Actually, they wouldn't and if you stopped at one they would look at you and wonder,"Why is she stopping?"

They close in the evening and it's nice that they leave the scales on so you can check after hours.  I've checked in several other states but they turn them off when they're closed.

All pick-up trucks are registered as commercial in California. But you do not go through the scales unless a LEO suspects you are overloaded. Highdesertranger

I had to go through the scale to get a certificate to give to DMV, before I could get my registration.  There wasn't anything in my truck bed.  Maybe because I had a canopy on my truck they made me do that?

slow2day said:
Actually, they wouldn't and if you stopped at one they would look at you and wonder,"Why is she stopping?"
DMV says I have a commercial truck.  I thought maybe it was because of the canopy, but when I asked if it was removed, would I still have to pay for commercial, and they said yes.  I've never stopped in any State, including California, to be weighed so I will never understand California's laws on a vehicle is so obviously not a commercial one.

That's good news kklowell,

Depending on what Doug thinks, I want to keep it as simple as possible for both Doug and myself (dollars). Something I totally forgot about, I know I can be a real air-head, was the back/door, removing the tailgate. I talked to Doug about that and pretty sure, if I remember right, he said we could do that.
I don't know, but thinking about how in the heck to close and lock the tailgate from the inside is a mystery to me, so far ;)

G0ldengirl68 said:
DMV says I have a commercial truck.  I thought maybe it was because of the canopy, but when I asked if it was removed, would I still have to pay for commercial, and they said yes.  I've never stopped in any State, including California, to be weighed so I will never understand California's laws on a vehicle is so obviously not a commercial one.

It's all about the $ they want from you. In comparison, my '93 van in AZ is only $61/year and it's probably twice the weight of your Mazda. So do you have to pay higher commercial insurance rates also?

G0ldengirl68 said:
That's good news kklowell,

Depending on what Doug thinks, I want to keep it as simple as possible for both Doug and myself (dollars).  Something I totally forgot about, I know I can be a real air-head, was the back/door, removing the tailgate.  I talked to Doug about that and pretty sure, if I remember right, he said we could do that.
I don't know, but thinking about how in the heck to close and lock the tailgate from the inside is a mystery to me, so far ;)
Locking it wouldn't be hard...you could use a barrel bolt for that. Getting the tailgate closed from the inside...and climbing over the damned thing if I closed it first,  was my motivation for making the back with a door. If my topper didn't slant forward ten inches, making that back and door would have been simple and easy as pie if not for that 10-inch slant.

slow2day said:
It's all about the $ they want from you. In comparison, my '93 van in AZ is only $61/year and it's probably twice the weight of your Mazda. So do you have to pay higher commercial insurance rates also?
My full-coverage I have on the truck is so low, I don't think so.  30 bucks a month, and I think I have adequate limits all taken care of.  I think my agent is good and explained all my coverage to me, dollar-wise, what it payed like if I hit someone, I really get diddly for my truck to be replaced if someone totals me though.  Another story I guess.

I'm not ed'jee'cated on insurance s2day ;(

slow2day said:
Since you'll be going to OR you can stop at a weigh station.  Unless they've changed, you can drive onto the scale when they are closed and see what your vehicle weighs. They may not be real accurate for a lighter vehicle though.

(link to allstays locator map):

https://www.allstays.com/c/weigh-scales-oregon-locations-map.htm

As a recently retired truck driver who went through Oregon all the time, I'm noticing that they are starting to turn off the scale readouts when they are closed. Probably tired of giving free weigh outs to truckers. Not all of the scales, but some. Those scales are pretty accurate down to lower weights. It's because of one of the truck scales at a shipper that I got on the **** diet this year. LOL