Trouble With my Transmission--What to do?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mothercoder

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the 2001 Suburban I bought as a tow vehicle is having transmission problems (slight grinding on the first shift that I can't hear but can feel in through the gas pedal).  I can't put $2-3,000 into the transmission and still have enough for a decent trailer. Also still healing from shoulder replacement surgery so don't know if I can't handle hitching anyway.  I am now researching possible vans to trade for. Would have to be a straight trade or cash back to me. Or I would be okay financing a couple thousand for a good van. Thoughts welcome. Mostly just being reflective that while trying to make a decision, one may have been made for me

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]JI'm pretty sure the 2001 Suburban I bought as a tow vehicle is having transmission problems (slight grinding on the first shift that I can't hear but can feel in through the gas pedal).  I am waiting to get an appt for my mechanic to look at it but I can't put $2-3,000 into the transmission and still have enough for a decent trailer. Also still healing from shoulder replacement surgery so don't know if I can handle hitching anyway.  I am now researching possible vans to buy outright or trade for. I've listed the Sub on CL to see what the interest is. I might just sell it and live without a vehicle for a while.  I've done that before without a problem. A bit of a hassle but I can put the cash from sale, insurance and gas money in the bank and really take my time looking for the right vehicle. I hate being pushed into anything.   [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Thoughts welcome. Mostly just being reflective that while suffering from analysis paralysis, a decision might have been made for me.[/font]

could you trade it in at a dealer for a van?

For me personally, the physical ability to hook and unhook was a biggie! I just barely have strength to open a water bottle anymore! I also tried to think ahead to how I would be feeling in 3-5 years... I chose a high top so I wouldn't have to stoop and a van so I could just walk to the driver's seat. A little of that is my laziness, for sure, but I think my future self will thank me later!!

Gary68 said:
could you trade it in at a dealer for a van?

Possibly. They always low ball and I hate dealing with dealers. I'm going to have Carmax give me a buy quote on Saturday. I just don't want to feel rushed. It's been bloody hot and humid here and I don't relish dealing with taking a bus but a girl's gotta do what she has to do. I battled the winter before last taking a bus and survived.

AbuelaLoca said:
For me personally, the physical ability to hook and unhook was a biggie! I just barely have strength to open a water bottle anymore! I also tried to think ahead to how I would be feeling in 3-5 years... I chose a high top so I wouldn't have to stoop and a van so I could just walk to the driver's seat. A little of that is my laziness, for sure, but I think my future self will thank me later!!

I'm regaining strength and range of motion but my physical therapist keeps cautioning me that I may never be 100% again. I don't want a daily struggle and regret my purchase. I need something reliable. And yes, enough room to stand up would be good.

what ever you do don't tell the mechanic you have x amount of dollars to fix it. a vibration between shifts could be a number of things. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
what ever you do don't tell the mechanic you have x amount of dollars to fix it.  a vibration between shifts could be a number of things.  highdesertranger

Luckily  my mechanic isnt like that.  And the reality is I have zero dollars. Lol

Have it checked by a professional before you do anything else. Got enough fluid?

Before you offer it as a trade, find out what you could sell it for. It is often better to make two entirely separate deals. Dealers don't like you to know that, however. Yes, it is a little more work, but you know what Talks and what Walks.

I merged these threads, having them competing with each other will make it harder for you in the long run.

I will have it checked before I do anything. I'm waiting for my mechanic to let me know when I can bring it in. I posted it to CL and I'm going to see what CarMax says. I'm a "get all your info and then decide" kinda gal. :)

2001 Suburban is a good year for Chevy's, there are lot on  the road still, the 5.3 engine is great. If it is otherwise a good vehicle spend the $1500-$2500 to rebuild/remanufactured the transmission.
The problem here is the car itself in fair to good condition is only worth $2500-$3500 at best (with a good transmission). I have a 2001 Chevy Z71 truck with the 5.3, I meant to sell it years ago but it is so incredibly reliable that I probably never will.

I'm not convinced you have transmission issues. as hdr said there are plenty of other things that can cause that. a bad trans mount, needing a fluid change, universal joints, etc. Get a second or 3rd opinion.

do you do things like back off or add throttle during shifts? Do you keep the fluid full and clean? Do you make it constantly upshift and downshift on the highway like as if you were towing a heavy load? Because otherwise a trans isnt something that should be giving so many issues. Especially a GM 4-speed auto.

when is the last time you changed the fluid and filter?

I don't know that it's the transmission. Just my guess. Waiting to hear when my mechanic has availability for me to take it in. I bought the vehicle in February so I don't know how it was maintained prior to that. I bought this vehicle because of the reliability and thought it would be an awesome tow vehicle for a lightweight trailer. Still think that. I love driving it. Hopefully I'll have an answer next week about what the issue might be. The grinding/metallic sensation is so slight that I really have to pay attention to feel it.

Have you checked the transmission fluid?  Hope you get lucky and that's all it is. Or something else minor.

Jewellann

Grab a paper towel, pull out the dip stick, wipe with paper towel, check color and smell it. Smell foul? How's the color?

Attachments

• delete3.jpg
    delete3.jpg
    89.3 KB
Mechanic checked it out and can't find anything wrong. It's now shifting fine and no noise. Shrug.

CautionToTheWind said:
Grab a paper towel, pull out the dip stick, wipe with paper towel, check color and smell it. Smell foul? How's the color?

Thanks. Yeah, I know I come off a bit clueless but I do know what the transmission fluid should look and smell like.  :cool: