WHAT NOW!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People here have given many good ideas on how to live and get by. Nothing I can add to that. I did live in Tenn and NC for 7-years, and I swear I would start sweating in March and not stop sweating until November. The west right now is mostly up near the 100-deg mark, even in Reno where I live at 4900-feet. The buildings get hot, and don't cool down very much at night. You can only get really cool by going to 9,000-10,000 foot elevation.

In regards all of your "stuff", you can rent a small storage unit, say 5'x5', for what you want to keep and/or can't get rid of. Moving your stuff around may be a problem with the shoulder issue.

I did want to mention that about 30-years ago, I dislocated both of my shoulders (not at the same time, thank the heavens). Both were anterior dislocations, where the ball of the upper arm bone comes to rest in the armpit, and the arm muscles go into tetanus. After resetting (no surgery), I was told to keep the sling on for "6" weeks, but hopefully the doctors give different advice today. What happened is that, after 6-weeks with the sling, I developed "frozen shoulder" both times, could not raise my elbow more than a couple of inches. Scar tissue forms across the injured joints. I'm NOT a doctor, so moxadox might have something more accurate to say.

Afterwards, I spent a good year or so doing exercises to, as I see it, tear the scar tissue and re-establish mobility in the shoulder joints. I should hope that nowadays they follow procedures that help reduce the possibility of frozen joints. Just something to look out for. Good luck.

QinReno I am trying to use my arm as much as possible, but at the same time not use it to much for that reason. When I wake up in the morning or when I over use it, it is most painful. I know what you mean by the heat being awful everywhere. I think getting away from this 70 or 80 percent humidity will help!  :-/ Hopefully lol

@Starr, you had mentioned that you might need surgery, but if you're getting by with PT and exercising, then that's a good sign, I think. If the cuff is torn, and you're doing exercising while it's healing, then I assume that will help keep you from getting a frozen joint. As mentioned, I'm not a doctor, but frozen joint is something you might ask about. I was also thinking that since you let it go for a month, and weren't doing exercises, then a lot of scar tissue had already formed in that time.

After my 2 dislocations, I had pain for a good year as I recall, as I was doing my exercises and regaining shoulder mobility. I also know a guy who slipped on the ice last winter, and came down hard on his shoulder on a sidewalk I believe, and tore a lot of tissue in there. He had surgery, and now 6 months later, he has very poor mobility and a lot of pain, even with doing PT and exercises all the time. I believe the shoulder is the most complicated joint in the body, with many degrees of freedom. It will take a while to heal no matter what. Just don't let it freeze up like mine did!

If you're not doing so, it might help to use a sling at night to hold the arm on place. It's been 100-deg in Reno lately, but the humidity is low.

Latest posts