Trouble With my Transmission--What to do?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New to me vehicles sometimes have friendly ghosts and mean gremlins that like to make noises to upset me on the way home after I have bought it but not during the test drive!

Bardo makes a good point about U joints.    Not that big of a job.

Aftermarket U joint with a grease fitting.  Best choice for replacements.

64-15158.jpg

Diagram of drive shaft showing U joints

bardo said:
I'm not convinced you have transmission issues. as hdr said there are plenty of other things that can cause that. a bad trans mount, needing a fluid change, universal joints, etc. Get a second or 3rd opinion.
<-------->
Middle seventies, I was traveling in my Oldsmobile when the tranny started making obnoxious noises. I took it to a shop to get checked out because I was not at home, and the mechanic there told me I needed a new transmission. This didn't sound right to me as I had just put it in the car not too long previous, so I crawled under there to check it out myself.
 One set of U-joints later and I was back in business. Those were the shops that gave mechanics a bad name. Thief comes to mind. :dodgy:

This world isn said:

I updated on the 19th: my mechanic did not find anything wrong. It's driving fine but I remain alert.

I would have a good transmission shop (check yelp/google ratings and comments) do a full transmission fluid flush and filter clean. They will see if bits and pieces of the transmission are wearing out, if your mechanic friend didn't drop the transmission pan he did not check well enough to be sure. A slight grinding in first does sound like the transmission. A fluid flush is good anyways if it hasn't been done in a while (or at all). Have a transmission cooler added while your at it.

Latest posts