Looking for ideas ... my poor bus!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VyckieG

Reaction score
I have a 1996 BlueBird that my ex and I converted - I call her "Trippy" and she is the best. She has a powerful engine and runs smooth, super comfortable and just all-around fun. 

When I was in the PNW, I lived in my bus for about a year and a half - kept me from being homeless when my partner became abusive and I had to leave for my kid's and my own safety. 

For now, I have moved back to Nebraska until my son finishes high school. I'm really not happy to be here - it's too cold and the fishing sucks - but, I tell myself it's only for another year and a half and then I can hit the road and go anywhere I want. 

Here's the thing: I can't drive my bus. It's a manual transmission, which I do know how to drive, but I have a genetic bone condition which makes it impossible for me to "manhandle" a big ol' school bus. (Actually it's a mid-sized bus, but still too big for me to drive.)

So, for now, Trippy is grounded - just sitting in my backyard like a spare bedroom - waiting for the freezing cold Nebraska winter to hit. 

I've been trying to sell her - but maybe it's the time of year, or the fact that Nebraskans don't get the awesomeness of a skoolie, or maybe I have her a bit over-priced? Whatever the reason, I am truly worried about my bus just sitting parked, unused all winter. I don't really know what extra preparations or precautions to take to make sure she's still in awesome condition next spring. 

My plan for the future is to buy a van, or maybe just a good-sized hatchback and make it liveable so I can take some shorter trips while waiting for my son to graduate, and then becoming a full time nomad. 

Maybe I can trade my bus? I don't know what to do with her in the meantime - I really do feel like she needs to spend the winter in a more mild climate. 

Suggestions? Advice?

Here's a link to where I've listed Trippy for sale - I hope it is alright to post - not trying to sell her here - just honestly need ideas for what to do with an awesome bus that I can't drive. 

https://conversiontrader.com/listing/skoolie-tiny-home-party-tailgating-bus/

Idk about schoolies much but im betting its over listed by a factor of 2. When I last looked around 9 months ago most schoolies were asking around the $5k mark give or take.

Join a forum for "schoolies" or is it "skoolies". There will be people in that forum wanting to buy a bus.

Elbear1 said:
Idk about schoolies much but im betting its over listed by a factor of 2. When I last looked around 9 months ago most schoolies were asking around the $5k mark give or take.

For an already converted bus??? Wow.

Vyckie, your bus is too big for me, but it looks really nice, and IMO, your asking price is not that much. I've seen nice conversions for sale for more than your price. If I were looking for a nice bus in that size range, I'd think $11,000 might be a decent deal, considering all the work I personally wouldn't have to do.

Test the market some more, before you drop your price.

I don't know about diesel maintenance, but Nebraska farmers park their diesel tractors over the winter, there must be a method for doing it. Whatever price the market will bear, it will bear more in spring, as long as it is running well.

When selling anything if you want it gone fast you lower the price. Somebody looking for a schoolie sees half a dozen right away for around $3-6k they probably wont look at yours.

Asheville to san juan california. You have to research over a period of time. Seasons matter, markets matter. Over priced ones stay listed for a LONG time and will be seen more often. Last winter there were 5 within 150 miles of me all under $6k.

I can see why my post may seem to be asking why my bus isn't selling, and I do appreciate the responses. Actually though, I really am looking for advice on how to take care of the bus this winter so she doesn't suffer from my inability to properly maintain a school bus.

Maybe there's a place where I could store her for the winter in a more temperate climate? Or maybe I could rent her out for the season to someone who is able to go south for the winter?

If I could find someone with a van who is willing to trade - that would be ideal.

maki2 said:
Join a forum for "schoolies" or is it "skoolies". There will be people in that forum wanting to buy a bus.

x2

Not only are you more likely to find someone who wants to buy a schoolie but you'll also find people who can tell you how to winterize it so as to keep it in shape for in the spring.

Here's the link: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/

VyckieG the biggest consideration to winterize a rig is the water....  Water expands when it freezes and can cause serious damage to water tanks, radiators, and engines.  So.. dump all the water from the fresh water, gray, and black tanks and put the special antifreeze made for RV water systems into the fresh water system.  You will need to circulate some of the antifreez into the water lines to keep them from freezing up.  The water system antifreeze will need to be flushed out next season and before using the water system again.  Next is the engine coolant.  It needs to have sufficient antifreeze concentration for whatever the lowest temperature is expected for your area.  A mechanic can test it with a simple device and let you know the safe freeze point for the coolant.  If you expect to start the engine in cold weather you might need an additive for the diesel fuel to keep the fuel from gelling.  Also ask the mechanic to purge any water from the diesel fuel water separator if it isn't an automatic system.  Then go get some poly-polypropylene long-johns and a big jacket for the bus owner...

VyckieG said:
I can see why my post may seem to be asking why my bus isn't selling, and I do appreciate the responses. Actually though, I really am looking for advice on how to take care of the bus this winter so she doesn't suffer from my inability to properly maintain a school bus.

Maybe there's a place where I could store her for the winter in a more temperate climate? Or maybe I could rent her out for the season to someone who is able to go south for the winter?

If I could find someone with a van who is willing to trade - that would be ideal.

One obvious place is to post it right here in the "MarketPlace" forum.

"I can see why my post may seem to be asking why my bus isn't selling, and I do appreciate the responses. Actually though, I really am looking for advice on how to take care of the bus this winter so she doesn't suffer from my inability to properly maintain a school bus."

VyckieG -
I don't have any advice on this topic.
I'm SO glad that Doubleone came forward with all of that really good advice and you finally got at LEAST a partial answer to your actual question.

I really just wanted to say hello and offer a "virtual hug" and just let you know that I sympathize. You're not alone. It's frustrating and so disappointing when life puts these obstacles up in our paths. If you need to vent or anything, please feel free to reach out. I know I'm a stranger, but sometimes it's easier to talk to someone who's a little distant from your actual situation. :)
I hope very much that the time goes quickly for you and you can get back on the road.

One point I wanted to make on your vehicle - do lots of research, and IF you can afford to be patient, stand firm if it feels right, and itemize in your ad all the updates and amenities you did! I've seen so many videos where a person went even as far as ACROSS THE COUNTRY for the right vehicle! Also, post in every ad you place that you're looking to get into a van and are willing to barter for one!! Don't forget Craigslist and even LetGo (I found probably 20-25 differnt rigs in 5 minutes of scrolling on LetGo alone!)! The more reach you have, the more likely you are to find just the right buyer!
That's all I can add to that.

I wish you all the best in all of this. Hang in there!

Brandy

This is marketing advice, it is blunt in some instances but please don't take it as being unkind, it is meant to help you get a fast sale at a good price.

If you want to get that kind of money for it go get some matching spray paint and fix that flaking paint on the exterior. Or at least do a contrasting band of color on the front edge of the hood. You won''t get your asking price when it looks like a high mileage fixer bus with a poor quality paint job. The goal is to have it look very well cared for and that means no peeling paint. When they see that paint in the photo they will be thinking how much money and time it will take to fix it. You do not want them thinking...but I will have to fix stuff, that price is too high. The effort it takes to improve the paint job will be well worth the time and the cost of paint. It needs a "curb appeal" makeover. Then post all new photos of the exterior.

The other issue I see is you have it posted locally in more than one place on craigslist. The way you have done that might lead people to think it is a scam. I am not saying don't do that. I am just saying you need to be clear about why it is listed in more than one location.

Your craigslist add is too "wordy". Too much to read leads to drop out readers. Try to condense it down while still giving the vital statistics. Too much information can be a turnoff and loose potential buyers. If someone is truly interested they will ask for more information and then you can send them the long version of the story.

Best wishes for achieving your goals.

Thank all of you so much for your responses! I am trying to reply to individual posts, but for some reason, my phone is not letting me. I'll figure it out though!

Looks like I have a serious buyer from Portland who wants the bus, so ... fingers crossed. Thanks again.

List it on eBay. Put s high reserve so it will never sell but you'll get a good idea of what the market price actually is