Trouble getting 8 hours of sleep

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobilesport

Reaction score
It seems hard to find a place to park where i can get there earlier like 10pm.
Most places it seems you have to show up late and leave early, so Im only getting 4----5 hours a sleep and its messing me up.
I usually get parked about 12:30 or 1am
I set my alarm for say 6 am and then got to move to different location and then lay down and rest for about a hour and then go to work at 7:30 am.
Anybody dealing with this? 
Btw sleeping less then 8 hours is not a option for me , most my life I would stay up 2 --3 days at a time or sleep every other day other times , I would stay up and mod my vehicle. 
I'm 47 now and if I stay up its different then it used to be , I have to sleep 8 hours and eat healthy , I really feel the difference when I do.

I hear ya.
I'm in a somewhat similar situation, in that I have to be up and out of my spot by 5:45 am.
I've never gotten up early like that ever!
I am lucky that I can probably get to bed around 10 pm, I find it is usually more like 11pm or 11:30 that I can finally shut down for the night.
Basically I park in a gated industrial compound, although both gates are not always locked, and I do have a key to the gate since I work in the building.

I guess I get 5-1/2 to 6 hrs sleep a night, and I do find a nap late afternoon, 20- 40 mins, helps big time.

I would really love to be able to sleep in in the morning, but I haven't found the place for it yet.

BTW, I'm early 50's and yeah, it's a different game from my youth! Ha

How is it you're getting chased out of places in 4-5 hours? I've said it before, but I never plan ahead and I've never been woken up. And this is after being in San Diego for two months where it's illegal to sleep in a vehicle and all the lots are posted against it. I use common sense and sleep whenever I want. Where are you parking?

It is really hard when night after night that happens. I am lucky the woods are only 15/min away, but I had a night from hell at Walmart parking lot a few nights ago. Horrible to go all day after nights .like that.

I don't know if u would be comfortable saying what area u are in, people may have ideas. Hope it gets better.

TMG51 said:
How is it you're getting chased out of places in 4-5 hours? I've said it before, but I never plan ahead and I've never been woken up. And this is after being in San Diego for two months where it's illegal to sleep in a vehicle and all the lots are posted against it. I use common sense and sleep whenever I want. Where are you parking?

Im not getting chased out , I don't get hassled because I arrive late and leave early , that's my problem , I have to arrive late and leave early ,
I think its especially important to leave early , There's only but so many good parking places .
I've lost a few good parking spots by sleeping in one or two hours , buissness owner or manager shows up and wondering what I'm doing there , at that point I might as well be camped in front of somebody's residents  creating that same uncomfortable feeling thats going to make them report it.

I don't know if that would work for you but years ago when we were urban parking we would find nice neighborhood with lots of vehicles parked on the street. On these kind of places no one knows what car belongs to who (or is it whom :p ). We'd get there around 9pm and leave around 6am. We were always careful not to use lights unless necessary and not for long. Your city might have this kind of neighborhoods.

It sucks not to be able to sleep well.

Nicole

Avoid using your computer/ mobile device when your laying down before bed too. The light from the screen tricks your brain into thinking there is daylight and its more difficult to fall asleep. That way it may be easier to fall asleep more quickly when you do get parked and settled for the night.

Strange, I've been car camping in many different settings across the USA and never had that problem. More likely for me is finding myself in a small town that rolls up its sidewalks at 7 pm, causing me to go to sleep early out of boredom. In those towns the only cars cruising around past 10 pm belong to the police department.

What circumstance prevents you from parking for the night around, say, 9 pm and entering dreamland shortly thereafter? It would seem crawling around a neighborhood late at night looking for a place to curb camp would be more likely to arouse suspicion than crawling in the evening and parking just as dark falls.

Alas, if your rig resembles that of a Dust Bowl migrant and you sleep naked on the roof, you will be unwelcome in most places and will have to play the cat and mouse game in dark parking lots and trash-filled alleys. But why not look a little more low-key, so that an overworked manager does not become so offended by your presence that (s)he drops everything to chase you off?

I stay in about a 2 mile radius from were I work  only but so many spots and I don't want to risk losing these close spots .
I think the more you travel the easier to find spots.

I keep hearing people say they need to arrive super late/move early in the morning but I've never done that and never had a problem. When I have been hassled it's been shortly after I parked, not 6+ hours later.

Find a spot where it's plausible for someone to be parked all day and nobody is freaking out about the last good spot being taken, such as across the street from an apartment complex. Many people have a second car they keep there or they have a non-standard work schedule.

[size=small]I've been lucky thus far in the past couple of years of fulltime vandwelling. Here's why:
[/size]

1. Parking lots for fitness centers work best for me.

2. Readjusting my sleep schedule allows me to go to one of at least five fitness centers in my immediate work-related regional area. I.E.: I'm out of prison, I mean WORK, near 4:30 pm... I find a quick spot nearby (fitness center parking lots or a trailhead) & hit the sack by 6 at the latest, making sure I don't stuff my face with sweets, caffeine or anything for that matter.

[size=small]3. Earplugs + a fan blowing in the summer works wonders.[/size]

[size=small]4. NOT constantly dwelling on the anguishing thought of whether I will be getting 5, 6, or 8 hours allows me to actually sleep. Anxiety is nullified by means of not worrying about it (for me). If I don't get that 5 hrs. sleep, I don't worry. It's not the end of the world for me. After all, there's a good chance that I'll sleep like a king the next nite. 
[/size]

[size=small]By adhering to these simple lifestyle-changing processes, it allows me to succeed quite well.[/size]

[size=small]**On a side note, I was offered a new job this late winter which quadrupled my earnings (compared to my previous job). I moved up to a bigger van, offering me all the creature comforts a king could ever need. Let's hope that the new employers don't find out about my counterculture lifestyle! [/size]

I've been trucking 21 yrs. Years ago truck drivers were more respectfull of your sleep. Today because elogs, idiots use that as an excuse to tear through the truckstop doing 40 mph. There was a driver is Tulare Ca who was ran over and killed by another driver who was in a hurry. Never looking for pedestrians. Anyways, its gotten harder and harder to sleep in some if these places. The closer I am to a major city, the more idiotic they get.

When I don't have a choice as to where to park, sleeping pills are my best friend. I sleep though everything. No $hits given when I'm knocked out. The only catch is they make me groggy the next day. I have to pound down an energy drink to wake up. I'm robbing Peter to pay Paul, so to speak. But its the only way I can sleep in noisey areas. My sleep is important when guiding an 80,000 lb missile 700 miles a day, and dodging texting/distracted drivers. I saw a couple having "Relations" buck naked at 90 mph on time. I saw a other guy in bumper to bumper traffic reading a news paper. [emoji16]

I have 10 yrs left and wonder if I will last that long. People are growing ruder by the day at these truck stops. [emoji20]

RANT OFF...

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Milk Hauler said:
I have 10 yrs left and wonder if I will last that long.  People are growing ruder by the day at these truck stops. 

As a four-wheeler I've stayed at truck stops several times, most recently in Las Vegas. Most of the time, I am able to find a spot outside the truck stop, where things are quieter, and I won't get in the way. I notice several truckers and RVs doing the same thing, parking along the road past the truck stop, where hardly any trucks pass by.

Getting a big pack of ultra-comfortable earplugs is also useful. I use (and re-use) Hearos Ultimate Softness Ear Plugs. Once I slept in my SUV parked next to the fence for the 101 outside Ventura California. With those earplugs, I slept as good as if I was in miles from anywhere, and woke up with a kick-ass ocean view.

well at 68 A BOTTLE OF GOOD WHISKEY helps couple shots (2 finger) in bed by 8PM up at 4-5 AM. unless you allergic to whiskey god rest your soul
this should work for you.

Does anyone talk to the local people who own pieces of property on the edge of town (usually), maybe sitting on 5 acres or so, and ask if you could park in the furthest spot from the house, saying that you don't need hookups, you don't make noise, you don't leave trash, you don't drink or use drugs, you don't need to approach the house, etc? if you offered them $150/month (cash), it sounds like a lot but it's only $5/day.

TrainChaser said:
Does anyone talk to the local people who own pieces of property on the edge of town...

Or what about the parking lot at work?

When I was working the graveyard shift I would be dead tired just before getting off work. I would rush home and then couldn't sleep for the next two hours. What I figured out was I was in such a hurry to get home that I woke myself up. The more time I took getting home, the sooner I could sleep. Maybe try driving to near where your spot is for a half hour,put on some nice music, then go to your spot slowly.

I just thought of Boondockers Welcome. This is a listing of people who are willing to give others a few days R&R on their property. If there are a few in your area, maybe you could get them to agree to let you stay on a regular basis. I am already a member there, so if you PM me a location and I will take a look for you. You will need to become a member to contact them, but that is just $20 a year.

Mobilesport said:
It seems hard to find a place to park where i can get there earlier like 10pm.
Most places it seems you have to show up late and leave early, so Im only getting 4----5 hours a sleep and its messing me up.
I usually get parked about 12:30 or 1am
I set my alarm for say 6 am and then got to move to different location and then lay down and rest for about a hour and then go to work at 7:30 am.
Anybody dealing with this? 
Btw sleeping less then 8 hours is not a option for me , most my life I would stay up 2 --3 days at a time or sleep every other day other times , I would stay up and mod my vehicle. 
I'm 47 now and if I stay up its different then it used to be , I have to sleep 8 hours and eat healthy , I really feel the difference when I do.

your health is more important. do what you have to do to stay 8.

Still haven't heard an explanation of why you can't get settled in by 9 pm.

In mine eyes, you're overthinking all this.

Just find your spot and get to sleep. Quit fooling around.