Trikes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Optimistic Paranoid said:
In NY, if you show up for your motorcycle road test with a trike, you will get a limited M endorsement, which only allows you to ride trikes.  Take the test on a regular two-wheel motorcycle, you get a full M endorsement that allows you to ride trikes as well as regular bikes.

Yeah every state is different.

I believe Oregon requires it the other way around, getting a MC license first, then a sidecar/trike endorsement is added after you pass the SC/T course.

Here in Texas, all trikes and sidecars are motorcycles, period.

Texas added a new class of vehicle called the autocycle. This provision was added after Polaris began marketing the Slingshot.

In Texas, you must register the Slingshot as a motorcycle, it says that on the license plate, but does not require the operator to take or pass a MC course. It can be driven with a regular operators license.

This was done because the Slingshot does not meet the definition of a car OR a motorcycle in this state, and the Texas Transportation Code was changed to allow them here.

The politicians were 'swayed' into changing the laws when free demo rides of the Slingshot were provided in Austin.

:cool:

I believe that here in Oregon, they're all classified as motorcycles...trikes, and hacks.

I've 'tried' several different trikes, and have hated every one of them!! (well...I've never tried a VW trike though) :/

Hacks are fun though! :)

...but I'm sticking to 2 wheels for as long as I possibly can. (I have several)