Tribal Travels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So where are we meeting online at?<div><br></div>

Saguache and I were discussing using using Google+: you can create a circle of friends called "Tribe" or "Nomads" (whatever you want to call it) and include the names of other van dwellers. When you post to that circle, everyone in the circle receives it, but it's not publicly viewable.<BR><BR>Saguache: I'll set it up tonight when I'm home.<BR><BR>

This sounds like a great plan, Seraphim. Include me. I used to hang at a survival blog that had a google maps app that allowed people to place themselves on it so that others could find them if they needed help or wanted to meet. It was a secured site that only members could see. And you could hide yourself or remove yourself as you wished.&nbsp;<div>You also could add GPS and be tracked if you wanted.</div><div><br></div>

OK.

I set up a an email account on gmail just for this purpose. If you get an email with 'malahk' in the user name, that'd be me. Couldn't get 'seraphim' - it was already used.

The neat thing about gmail is anonminity - it doesn't ask for any other connections. Just a name. When you set up the account, there's a tab that will set up google plus for you.

To be added, just provide your email to someone already in the group. That person can send your email address in a bulk post to other members, who will add you to their circle.

Google plus is nice because it doesn't have all that crap associated with FB. I really don't care about anyone's virtual farm lol.

Journeyman

Can you pm me the email address on your google+ account? Then I'll add you.

I think a better idea is a Yahoo group. You can get all group messages emailed to you, or you can go to the group home to read and post. There is also an archives of all past messages and the ability to post photo albums.<br><br>It will do everything a gmail account will do and much more, and of course it is free. Just an idea. Bob<br><br>

Google+ is like Facebook, but you create a group of friends called a circle. When you post information, you can post it just to a particular group of people.

It would allow everyone to communicate information to the tribe of VanDwellers without posting it to the entire world. If I were going somewhere and wanted to meet up or travel with a group dof people for a bit, or advertise my gps location, I could do so without telling the whole world.

Saguache could explain the mapping features of google better than I; I've not used them much, but ilocations could also be shown on a google map for other members.

Just permits group communication with privacy, where a forum post is open for the public to view.

Just create a google + page and let one of the members know the email address you used to create it. It can be published to the group, and they add your name to the circle created for VanDwellers . Then, when they post info to that circle, or you do, everyone in the group will get it.

@ freenez2

I added your email to the group, but you need to go to Google and open a google+ account with that email address to participate.

Anyone else? It won't work unless a good number of people make the attempt.

The email address I'm using is malakh.araqiel AT gmail.com

Add it to your circle.

It's another 'angel' reference lol.

Katie. Sign up for a different gmail address and use that for google +. It won't make the connection with your current email address and won't affect your blog or other places. That's why I acquired a new gmail address based on the word Mal'akh

<P>Who may I send my new google email to? I tried to look for a group "Nomads".&nbsp; </P>

<p style="margin: 0px;"><span style='font-family: "Verdana","sans-serif"; font-size: 9pt;'>Yahoo&nbsp;is a good idea, as Bob said, more features.&nbsp; Goggle is excellent also.</span></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"></font><span style='font-family: "Verdana","sans-serif"; font-size: 9pt;'></span></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><span style='font-family: "Verdana","sans-serif"; font-size: 9pt;'>Another thought. Could a topic on this forum or another forum attached to this one with private membership by invitation.Your membership committee (lack of better words) could invite&nbsp;fellow travelers&nbsp;to join and not end up with anyone being able to post, view and converse non pertinent info. Not talking a secret group with special handshakes and such but I would not want to announce to the world I’m staying at such and such or longitude and latitude. However I would want to share this info and pertinent info to help someone find great spots to visit as a member of the group. Kinda like Follow the Drinking Gourd but not have to worry about your back. (Poor example maybe) </span></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><span style='font-family: "Verdana","sans-serif"; font-size: 9pt;'></span>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><span style='font-family: "Verdana","sans-serif"; font-size: 9pt;'>4x4 ....WOW what a fantastic looking campsite!!!!!&nbsp; Now that is what I'm talkin' about.&nbsp;</span></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"></font></p>

hey! i just did a quick check of some of the options for the forums. it appears we can have an invisible, password protected forum that could be invitation only, after we have determined that a member is not a spammer or a carrier of sharp things.<div><br></div><div>that said, i have mixed feelings about a secret type forum here. i have some issues with exclusion, no matter how sensible or necessary it is. it may be best kept separate from this website, with it's policy of "everybody welcome".</div><div><br></div><div>what do all of you think? i am on my way out the door, but will be back in a couple hours. the countdown to my move is winding down, and i have a zillion things to do. so hash it out a bit and let's cover all the options!</div><div><br></div><div>kate, who is leaving thursday.</div>

An easier alternative, certainly.

Diane. The google idea doesn't seem to be a hit lol. Kates solution is easier

An easier alternative, certainly.

Diane. The google idea doesn't seem to be a hit lol. Kates solution is easier

The more I look at feature sets I'm inclined to propose that we use <a href="https://www.google.com/latitude" target="_blank">Google Latitude</a>. &nbsp;Again it would require the following:<div><br></div><div>1) Google Account shared with everyone you'd like to hook up with</div><div>2) That members of the group periodically update their locations (you must log into the app to update)</div><div><br></div><div>The really cool thing about it is its only used for sharing your location information (with a link to your profile). &nbsp;Its nice because it will work like this for most platforms (iOS, MS, Andriod, etc.), and you can hide if you so feel like it (just turn off the app).</div>

Where did this carvan plan leave off? I am heading to North Dakota in few days from Milwaukee, any van dwellers along the way?&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>In case of my first road trip goes sour and i need to call in the&nbsp;Calvary?</div><div>\</div><div>~G</div>

I am interested too but it seems to have fallen off. Anyone?<br>Bri<br><br>