My greatest fear

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara in a Prius

Reaction score
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]My greatest fear is [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]not for my own personal safety, but [/font][/size][/font][/size][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]that after winnowing down my possessions to a few hundred items, what fits in my Prius, my car is going to get broken into when I go for a hike or go to the grocery store. [/font]

^^^That is what insurance is for. Never had a problem on the road but I generally stay away from large metropolitan places.

That is a concern for me too. You have to hide things without making it look like you hide thngs. I try not to leave my vehicle unattended too long.

Tony\ said:
I try not to leave my vehicle unattended too long.

This is why it's my greatest fear. I want to go places and do things – not worry that I should get back to my car. :(

My intention is to keep the front visible and uncluttered, and the back impossible to see.

Doesn't everyone put reflective window insulation on their windshield when they park? Better to blend in with the other vehicles (stealth), and do what they do.

Also, some models are just more popular to steal. My chevrolet pickup was always getting "stolen." It never moved from the spot it was parked cause the anti theft system was just that good. But I would have to put the steering column back together. Never lost any belongings though.

You may also consider getting rid of anything that isn't cheap & generic, just in case something does get stolen. Not being attached to it, you can pick up another one next time you are in town.
-crofter

Whenever someone says, "That's what insurance is for", I roll my eyes.

Every time you file a claim against your insurance, your bill goes up.

Everything goes up. I don't even know what an old Nickle candy bar goes for these day but probably close to a dollar.

Here is the trick. Grow too old to go on long walks.
or...Pick places where there are crowds of people all parked together with lots of people coming and going. You can get your hikes in that way. Today everyone has a video camera in their phones. It's way to risky to break into a car in those conditions. Same for shopping.

Insurance is good, but the hassle can be worse then the monitory value. Try to pare down to where your car isn’t screaming come see what I got and have places where things go to accomplish this.

BelgianPup said:
Whenever someone says, "That's what insurance is for", I roll my eyes.
Every time you file a claim against your insurance, your bill goes up.

No insurance (or not filing a claim) is more expensive:
 - paying to repair the damage a break-in causes.
 - replacing what was stolen.

Insurance is still your best protection against loss.
An 8' boa constrictor sunning itself on your dash is probably second  :p

My insurance company (American Family) hasn't raised my rates for claims that are not my fault.

Not many things say "There are probably pawnable tools, equipment and other good shit in here" more than a cargo van. Yet after eight years on the road I've had no thefts. Shopping center parking lots, trailheads, hotel parking lots, movie theaters... wherever.

That's not to say there's zero chance of your car being broken into, it's probably just a lot less likely than many people fear.

Perhaps one of the surest ways to prevent theft is to travel with another nomad. You can take turns watching each other's rigs.

B and C said:
^^^That is what insurance is for. Never had a problem on the road but I generally stay away from large metropolitan places.
It would depend on how expensive it is? Under 1000 and we would be better off paying it ourselves. We have a 1000 dollar deductible on our policy.

1. Rates do increase, because that is what companies do to recoup their losses. It is what they do. Some will let one go, but then nope. And changing companies is not going to save you anything 'cause then you are a person with, for lack of a better word, higher risk then some one who has not been broken in to. It is all recorded on web sights and they all watch those things.

2. Do this enough times and you are someone no company wants to insure, You can get canceled. 

That said if it is enough of a loss claim it, yep that is what insurance is for. But make sure you report it to the local police first so you have a police report to hand over to the adjuster. They usually ask for one.

We have tried to make sure things are covered and things don't look like much value and we usually have a dog in the car. Son has had a couple break ins, but he lives and parks in downtown Seattle so.... he usually knows better then to leave ANYTHING in his car. Not even sunglasses or smokes or unopened drink cans.

I watched a video by a guy who sleeps in his Prius who has a big stuffed dog in this passenger seat. LOL. In my view, that's more likely to get your window broken (to save the dog) than scare folks off.

Breakins can. happen but much more frquently in large metropolotan ateas than in small towns and wilderness camping areas.