Travelling with a Bird

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsy-Zeke

Reaction score
I'm planning on leaving Maryland headind west in about 2 weeks and will be taking my Makaw named Merlin anybody else travel with a bird have any advice??

I often travel with my sun conure, Skittles. Normally there's no problem crossing state lines with most species. Quaker parakeets can be a problem though as a few states, like California view them as an invasive species and won't allow you to enter or travel through their state with one. The only state that I've had them ask questions about my Sun Conure is entering California. Some INS check points close to the southern border also ask questions to ensure the bird is not a captive, wild caught bird here illegally (darn those illegal immigrant parrots!).

It's a good idea to get a CVI (health certificate) from an avian vet before you travel extensively with your bird, as it would be horrible if a certain state decided to quarantine or worse destroy your bird because they are fighting some avian disease such as bird flu or Newcastle. About 15 years ago California was fighting Newcastle disease, slaughtering poultry and even suspected pet birds in some cases, with severe travel and quarantine restrictions, but that ended when they got it under control.

Here's a link to Ca bird entry requirements: https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/Animal_Health/pdfs/avian_entry_requirements.pdf

Chip

Thanks for the timely advice. I’m about to start out with my sun-jenday hybred. I’ll get a health certificate fo him before I head out.

I just read the California refs as to bring parrots in. There are no cvi regulations for parrots other than Quaker (monk) parrots are not allowed in California