Travel Trailer Quality Differences

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have 2006 23 foot hornet not counting tongue. Bought it new with hail damage on 2 sides.  We have full timed in it since new except one year. Cant complain about it at all. Only thing so far is a leak at slide that rotted floor ( took it back east for a year) other than that its been a great trailer.  We have worked in rv parks since the start and it seems the bigger the rv the less you see the people. We have 40 foots come in plug in and don't see them again until they unplug. One of the main reasons we have not went bigger.  Of all we have been in it seems the Artic Fox is about the best. Have never had one owner say bad things about them.  The trailer sits on our days off and we go out in the van.

tbair said:
Probably, but not really. You could replace the axles with heavier rating and upgrade leaf springs (assuming not torsion axle). Along with this you should upgrade links and shackles and perhaps beef up frame in that area.You also should look at tires and coupler ratings along with some stuff I am not even thinking of. Expensive and not really an engineered solution more of a guess. Additionally you would still be legally over weight since you don't get to change the weight rating of the trailer even with upgrades. Not a big concern but I suspect you would be better off trading off to a different trailer.

Oof!

I'm permanently parked now.  

What are the likely repercussions if/when I take it on the road? Am I looking at an accident, a minor traffic ticket, or a financial catastrophe?

I had read here about replacing an axle and thought I could do that, but if there are that many things -- and if I am STILL legally overweight no matter what I do ... that's a bigger problem than I anticipate.  And I don't have the money to go throwing these things around like used napkins ...

I had a 1988 Holiday Rambler Alumilite 21 foot double axel I wish I still had heavy but built like a tank, the problem with living in city like San Francisco is storage. just too expensive.

Dingfelder said:
Am I looking at an accident, a minor traffic ticket, or a financial catastrophe?
Personal campers, depends on the state you're travelling in once you get it registered wherever.

Enforcement of commercial traffic by DOT is another story.

In the event of an accident, if the insurance companies involved investigate, yep financial catastrophe, your company is off the hook, all the liability is on you, that's in effect how the USA regulates this segment.

I agree with everybody. A little older is better

My trailer is a 19 ft 1976 Prowler, it is built tough, has a ton of storage, and tows like a dream according to my friend who brought it home for me

Yes, it needs a few repairs but nothing myself or my friends I live with can't cope with. Only big change will be a composting toilet because the blackwater tank is split at the back and to either repair or replace it will be expensive.

Only bugaboo is getting parts, luckily I live in an area where these things hide in peoples back yards or front yards in the case of mine

By the way this is my second Prowler, I have a 21 ft in the back yard and its been there, left by a rent owing tenant, since 2004, so they also maintain their integrity. After 14 years of other temporary tenants and using it as storage, its still liveable and a friend of mine is living in it and added a porch to it. We are going to put a new power cord on that one as its a long way from the house and the power cord has finally reached the point where its degrading and heating up.

I think we may add some insulation to it as well and I know the roof leaks, time for a trip to Wal-Mart to get roof coating

We don't have Lowe's here, Home Depot, yes.

Definitely consider an older rig, but not so old you have my parts problem. Example, my 2 Prowler's have no problems with their floors, (the other is a 1974) but my friend Rob's 1989 Fleetwood Yukon has holes in the back corners (next project-fix his bedroom floor)

Cheers, Lois