Transplanted Native Oregonian living in SoCal

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jadvisioness

Reaction score
Hey there.

It was recommended by a doctor that I move from my home in the beautiful and incomparable Pacific Northwest down to San Diego, CA. So, I've been here for almost a decade and, even though my health is a bit better, the cost of living is terrible and I miss Oregon.

I am on Social Security Disability and am looking for a van or RV to live in. I would also love to be able to travel up to Oregon to see my teenage son a couple or three times per year [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif](or at least more than once per year for a week!)[/font]. One of the dreams my step-father had was to see the Grand Canyon before he passed away and that didn't happen; I'm almost 50 years old and there are two things I would very much love to see before I do as well: the leaves turning colors on the East Coast and Egypt.

I love reading, writing, "computering", helping people, dogs and learning - I'd become a professional student if there was any money in it :D I am also an introvert and a HSP.

Yeah, LOL this sucks as an intro but I'm nervous, a bit stressed, and I'm not trying to win any contests or such so... /shrug.

Thanks for creating this place,
JAD

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I want a TARDIS simply because it can be my house but not take up so much space. I'd park it in my best friend's garage.[/font]

Welcome to the CRVL forums JAD! Your introduction is fine. :) It sounds like a van or RV would be perfect for the way you want to spend your life -traveling to Oregon, parking at your friend's house, and taking trips to see the sights. Good luck with your search for a dwelling vehicle. Keep us updated!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

yes, i bet COL in San Diego is very high! seems like if you were
in Eastern Oregon it would be a semi-similar climate? i love Oregon
and would be missing it too. good luck on getting to see your son
more often and welcome to the forum!
jim

txmnjim said:
yes, i bet COL in San Diego is very high! seems like if you were
in Eastern Oregon it would be a semi-similar climate? i love Oregon
and would be missing it too. good luck on getting to see your son
more often and welcome to the forum!
jim

Jim,
Thanks for the reply and the welcome :)  Yes, my income is near the Federal Poverty Level for 2012; I've had to move 5 times since I've been here and this marks the one where I don't have anywhere else to go really.

You'd think that about the climate but one thing I fight with is weather/climate/barometric pressure changes and San Diego seems pretty "even" in that area.

Would love to be able to get into something before the New Year but... 

Take care and be well,
JAD

JAD, have you thought about moving to AZ or NV? Maybe not to a big city like Phoenix or Vegas, but to a smaller town. COL, taxes, rents, gasoline would certainly be less than most places in CA. Eg, I'd love to live in Lake Havasu City or Prescott. Just a thought.

You might not like the high humidity in the east, and AZ is kind of like Egypt in many respects, :). Hot and dry.

Welcome to the forum. You came in while I was busy with survival and change issues in North Idaho. So glad I'm out of there now. Just drove through some beautiful areas in Eastern Oregon to get to where I am now in the Klamath River Valley... I used to live here and my son still does.

Hello. I am in a similar situation here in NY with regard to rent and income. I am also a little scared. I will say this though. Ever since I started thinking of car/van dwelling, I notice it more now. Here in the city, I never realized how many stealth vehicle dwellers there actually are until I was actually looking for it. I will be walking down the street in my neighborhood and see a minivan or suv and then realize its a camper. We are definitely not alone. Just wanted to say hello to another newcomer and say I think we will be ok. Seems to be a great deal of info and support here.

Qxxx said:
JAD, have you thought about moving to AZ or NV? Maybe not to a big city like Phoenix or Vegas, but to a smaller town. COL, taxes, rents, gasoline would certainly be less than most places in CA. Eg, I'd love to live in Lake Havasu City or Prescott. Just a thought.

You might not like the high humidity in the east, and AZ is kind of like Egypt in many respects, :). Hot and dry.
/chuckle. Nope, haven't thought about moving to "the beach without the water" as someone I know calls the desert states.

I've actually never been to AZ but I've been through NV. ... I'm a forest person and an ocean person and prefer to be near either of them, preferably both. I was in SLC for several months and DID NOT do well there, but considering the daily thunderheads, I'm really not sure if it was the weather or the "deadness" of the area - and I was there during the city being ripped up for the Olympics so I'm sure that had something to do with it as well.

At some time I'd like to travel through and see the national parks and perhaps the years will have changed my mind :)
JAD

travelaround said:
Welcome to the forum. You came in while I was busy with survival and change issues in North Idaho. So glad I'm out of there now. Just drove through some beautiful areas in Eastern Oregon to get to where I am now in the Klamath River Valley... I used to live here and my son still does.
Ah, yes :)  I have family, close and distant relatives, all over the state; I've visited a time or two most places. I was actually born and raised on the coast and didn't get to travel much. Mostly up the coast and over to PDX, Eugene and Salem. Although I have been to the Shakespeare Festival a couple of times and the Wildlife Safari.

I hope things are going better for you now. Take care and good luck :)
JAD

hopeful70 said:
Hello. I am in a similar situation here in NY with regard to rent and income. I am also a little scared. I will say this though. Ever since I started thinking of car/van dwelling, I notice it more now. Here in the city, I never realized how many stealth vehicle dwellers there actually are until I was actually looking for it. I will be walking down the street in my neighborhood and see a minivan or suv and then realize its a camper. We are definitely not alone. Just wanted to say hello to another newcomer and say I think we will be ok. Seems to be a great deal of info and support here.
Aaaww, that's so very kind of you :)

Yes, I'm definitely feeling anxious and a bit scared as well but... I'm really hoping for good things, really good things, I just have to be a bit more patient with my situation, I guess.

/huggs to you!!
JAD

Jad if you ever want one of your posts deleted PM a Moderator.

give the desert a chance it is really beautiful if you look. the vast openness is amazing. the smell after a rain storm and how incredibly clear and clean everything is, the silence during a snow storm. the smell of sage and juniper, the sky, ah the night sky cannot be put into words the milky way stretching from horizon to horizon it will awe you. the call of a lone coyote or the singing of a pack of them. the hoot of the great horned owl at night keeping your camp safe from critters. the screech of the red tail hawk during the day or a golden eagle passing between you and the sun with the shadow startling you. I could go on and on. go there with an open mind just don't go in the middle of summer. lol

highdesertranger

Jadvisioness said:
/chuckle. Nope, haven't thought about moving to "the beach without the water" as someone I know calls the desert states.
 ... I'm a forest person and an ocean person and prefer to be near either of them, preferably both. ............
At some time I'd like to travel through and see the national parks and perhaps the years will have changed my mind :)
JAD
Far be it for me to try and take the girl away from the beach. :p I just figured maybe cost of living being 25-30% cheaper might be a deal. Even in CA, I should think smaller towns would be a bit cheaper. But you might have to move to the central valley between Bakersfield and Redding. Yukk in the summer time.

One nice thing about the 1000 mile long area between CA and eastern Colorado is you are surrounded by mountains on all sides the whole way, and those mountains have a lot trees on them. Look at the map of AZ for instance. Much of the state north of I-10 is mountains. One reason I like Prescott. Too high though and you get snow, but there is a middle ground.

So, a good plan would be to get a vehicle that you can camp in, and then travel around the west, and who knows, maybe some place will attract you. And also remember, a lot of women have done it.

Qxxx said:
*SNIP*
So, a good plan would be to get a vehicle that you can camp in, and then travel around the west, and who knows, maybe some place will attract you. And also remember, a lot of women have done it.
I really do want to travel at some point as I just haven't seen much of the world - if I'd moved from my small coastal Oregon town directly to San Diego, CA, I would have suffered tremendous culture shock and might never have gotten over the trauma /chuckle - but I have commitments here for awhile and would like to get used to vanlife here and traveling up to Oregon to see my son and best friend for a bit before I do anything else. Use that as a springboard if you will. I've really never been alone in my life and it's going to be a bit daunting for me to get used to I think - even if I am an introvert and enjoy my solitude.
JAD

Let's hear it for springboards .... Changes in life are best made one step at a time. Get the vehicle, start traveling part time on trips, and then see how it goes. Too many people I think who come to this forum are down to a single option, but gradual transitions are a heck of a lot easier, and you get to be more the creator of your course rather than the createe (note, I just invented that word).

Just a head's up. My housemate has asked me to move out the first of December. No idea where I'm going or how I'm getting there (no vehicle) but I didn't want anyone to worry if you don't hear from me or see me posting anywhere (here or FB or such).

I'll let you know where I land and when. Until then, I hope all of you weather the winter well and have good and positive things happening for you.

JAD