Transit conversion with kids?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneshotveth

Reaction score
Hello.  I'm wondering if anyone has some insight as to my problem.

I want to convert a Ford Transit so that I can take it camping with my two kids.  They are both young 7, 10, so they need to be buckled in the back, but then I won't have much room to fit much in a way of a bed/storage etc.  Does anyone know if the seats fold down or have any ideas, like what you have done with your kids?

Thanks! 
Oneshot

What about a jackknife sofa with seatbelts run lengthwise in the van?

Some of the eurovans have a bench passenger seat option. Negates the passthrough but would let you belt three across up front without taking any precious cargo/living area.

Welcome to the CRVL forums oneshotveth!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Or put in an approved folding two-seater, some even fold up sideways/vertical into the door opening space, or tuck it into the back corner.

Fact is as long as there are seatbelts and the anchoring to the floor is at least as strong as original, no one's going to care more than you about your kids' lives.

I grew up bouncing around back of a open pickup all my childhood, parents took turns doing the 2+ hour school run long before anyone thought seatbelts were needed.

And my kids are balanced on their mom's motorbike all over the place when we go visit her every couple years.

Just sayin'. . .

This is my conundrum as well.  

I'm still in the middle of researching but RVtrek's suggestion makes sense.  That's the set up in my parents' Class B.  

Isn't 10 old enough to sit in the front seat?  Then you could maybe add a jump seat in the cargo area for the 7 year old?  

This was what I originally thought about doing but probably won't work for your needs (plus not sure this is viable in a transit):

[img=414x479]https://i.pinimg.com/474x/af/df/02/afdf024f3eac9dd31ad22cdf89223a56--sprinter-van-van-life.jpg[/img]

I don't remember the names but there are a few families with videos (that include tour-type videos of their set-ups) on youtube that are traveling in transit or sprinter type vans. Sorry I can't remember the names-I would have looked them up for you but I don't have easy or regular internet access. Not real familiar with how to search on there but would think family van travel would be good key words. I would have loved to done it myself when my daughter was young.

Best wishes to you!