Trailer section?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, maybe I am changing my mind. I just went through an exercise of the search function for specific bits of information and came away frustrated. Maybe what I was looking for isn't anything yet posted to this forum, or maybe the search function doesn't work that well. If the search function fails us, maybe a more organized forum might help. I am still not entirely convinced but I can see a better solution might be in order.

I've met a quite a few folks making do with a passenger car and converted utility trailer.
With the van market red hot right now, people are going to go to whatever works. Trailers aren't as glamorous as vans I guess. But they are more practical in a couple ways.
Remember a senior woman in Alabama who was on a fixed income and had busted her car towing a trailer. So she was working at the campground until her money came through.
Wish I could have dug deep in my pockets and helped her out, but she needed a different vehicle. Some cars just don't have the guts to tow anything. I can't afford to go buying strangers entire cars.

I entered the Cargo trailer camper phase 6x12. So far the build has been fun but too costly now, the days of $2.00 for a 2x4 is gone and the price of wiring is ridiculous. I did find a New old stock sleep number queen bed for sale , everything but the frame. So now it is like sleeping on a cloud. I used etrack for the bed supports using the 2x4 brackets. installed a window ac that will run on the dc power for 1 hour with the sun up. otherwise generator power etc.. I did install a couple windows . Heat is from a Chinese diesel heater

Attachments

• painted ctc2.jpg
    painted ctc2.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 17
  • ctc conversion.jpg
    ctc conversion.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 18
  • cargo hooked to minivan no gennerator mount yet.jpg
    cargo hooked to minivan no gennerator mount yet.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 17
  • window in cargo trailer.jpg
    window in cargo trailer.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 15
  • heater ctc.jpg
    heater ctc.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 14
FYI to all those who buy expensive trailer locks.Drill a 1/2. Inch hole in the receiver and put a padlock in it! Works for me!

No, people on this forum would just be crashing into my build to giving a ton of irrelevant advice because they think they know it all. when in fact my trailer is a rare fiberglass, 50 year old vintage with not even half a dozen of them left on the road. Of course not even the people on the fiberglass trailer forum knew it's particular issues. Fortunately I had a professional background with skills that enabled me to figure out how to repair and rebuild, replace, modify etc. Then I documented it all for their archives with photos and measurements. But doing that in the van iving forum would be a waste of my time as it would disappear into the chaos of dissimilar builds that have nothing in common with my trailer.

Dude, it looks like you've got your heater exhaust right below the fresh air intake?
heater ctc.jpg
Bruce

What about a towed/toad section dealing with trailers, toads, etc.?

Well, I typed trailer into the search box and then scrolled down the first 2 pages of responses. It seems that trailers are usually discussed as Miscellaneous Vehicles or VanLiving topics that don't fit in other areas. I'm sure that trailers are a significant part of the our fleet, especially when you consider that many RVs, vans, cars and trucks have trailers behind them. So yeah, If we can distinguish between cars, trucks and vans, then maybe a topic for trailers wouldn't be too extreme.

I am more inclined to suggest merging the various vehicle types and builds into one large mega-thread...that way you get a lot of participation and input.

Compartmentalizing the discussion groups and dividing the vehicle types even more than they are now seems to me would increase frustration when searching for ideas and solutions and reduce the number of readers who will see any questions or answers one might post.

Just my 2c.