Trailer frames & towing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carla618

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a very interesting video about the class action lawsuit against Lippert, which makes 70% of all travel trailer frames.

I didn't know that weight distribution hitches can stress the frames, but my trailer is old and not included in the Lippert screwup era.

The video is two years old and has over a million views.

My 51 year sold trailer frame was also starting to bend at that location. Instead of just replicating the original design we strengthened the frame adding in a diagonal brace as well as switching from 2” x 2” tube to a 2” x 3”. You can see the tongue end of the new frame in this photo. Look closely at the area of the bend transition and you will see two smaller diameter tube that were welded in to prevent stain on that transition weld where the tongue pieces are joined to the longer longitudinal frame pieces. That is something a competent welder can do to a trailer if you are conserved about failure and cracking at that area. I was fortunate to have the assistance of two very wise and experienced friends hep me by making a brand new frame. I bought the materials and they donated labor, shop space, specialized tools and brain power. I pitched in where I could but not much as I had recently broken my wrist. Lucky for me the new frame project was their idea of fun activity and I enjoyed it as well. ❤️
IMG_1465.jpeg

I'd still have someone get under it on level concrete with a straight edge, ruler, ice pick & a good light to verify no problems. The ice pick is to poke hard to get to or rusty areas. Better safe than sorry, Good Luck!

My 51 year sold trailer frame was also starting to bend at that location. Instead of just replicating the original design we strengthened the frame adding in a diagonal brace as well as switching from 2” x 2” tube to a 2” x 3”. You can see the tongue end of the new frame in this photo. Look closely at the area of the bend transition and you will see two smaller diameter tube that were welded in to prevent stain on that transition weld where the tongue pieces are joined to the longer longitudinal frame pieces. That is something a competent welder can do to a trailer if you are conserved about failure and cracking at that area. I was fortunate to have the assistance of two very wise and experienced friends hep me by making a brand new frame. I bought the materials and they donated labor, shop space, specialized tools and brain power. I pitched in where I could but not much as I had recently broken my wrist. Lucky for me the new frame project was their idea of fun activity and I enjoyed it as well. ❤️
You have some seriously excellent friends. Good for you!