Trailer crash...what went wrong here?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KroFlite

Reaction score
I've never pulled anything this big, so I don't have much of a feel for what went wrong.  Was it just too much speed?

Unbalanced load and/or speeding. My TT is 30 feet and it fishtails if I go over 70mph. I try to stick to 55 as much as I can, it really is a much safer speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is not enough tongue weight. Once a trailer starts fishtailing like that, you're in a bunch of trouble.

This 27 second video really shows the importance of properly distributing the weight of a trailer

Other videos that linked off the first, and may be something to look at. The last one talks about "yaw inertia".

You will also notice that in both cases, the trailer started fishtailing right when it hit the side-wash from the front of the semi.

unbalanced like others said and also that tractor trailer is pushing a lot of air in front of it.... that camper hit that air wake and really started swerving

The biggest factor that causes swaying is an improperly balanced load. Sway bars, trailer brakes, etc. all help but the best way to prevent sway is proper weight distribution.

Some trailers need their tanks drained before towing to ensure proper tongue weight.

Often it can be too much weight behind the axle, relative to over or in front of the axle.
Then it will easily swing like a pendulum from any side force.
If filled tanks are below and behind the axle, with a light bedroom or dining area only in the front of the trailer, an example of how it could happen.
Then put the generator and a/c as well as gear and supplies in the back, guess what happens?

Best to thing in a case of sway is to apply brakes on the trailer brake controller. Pulls it straight again.then stop and check your loading for proper weight distribution.

the biggest problem is the nut behind the wheel. poor load distribution, unwise combo of TT and TV, both probably played a roll. but in the end that wouldn't have happen if the idiot behind the wheel wasn't driving so fast. the semi was going almost 70 when the other driver decided that wasn't fast enough it appeared the TV and TT where driving at approximately 80. highdesertranger

A terribly unbalanced load will be OK up to about 35 mph then you have to start worrying. After 45 it will get pretty hairy.

I watched countless grousome travel trailer crashes. I was nervous as hell towing my RPod down mountain grades.

I slashed weight and was ruthless about it. I use up consumables before travel, took out the tv, bought backpacker lightweight cooking pots.

Everyone said to keep some freshwater in the tanks . I found out the day I was leaving that my freshwater tank was full to the brim.

I spent an overnight layover pumping out the water, and when I was underway again, it was definitely an improvement to shed the 120 extra pounds.

The idiot was going too fast! No mater what else was wrong, unbalanced load, wrong air pressure in tires, panic when it stated fishtailing, it comes down to speeding.

I disagree about speed. I've whipped down the road with various trailers and have not had a problem. I've also just about wrecked going only 45 miles per hour. My current trailer has zero issues at 80 miles an hour while passing semis. But I can promise you if I didn't have enough tongue weight, it would sway. That is guaranteed. Speed isn't the biggest issue- it is proper weight balance.

Hard to tell, but it looks like several hundred pounds of stuff on the travel trailer bumper, plus high speed, getting too close to the semi and it's bow wake, and possibly driver distraction.

At a certain point, the RV driver became irrelevant. 

Who wants to take a bet that the insurance lawyers blamed it on the truck driver?

so you are trying to say that if Mr. speed would have just stay behind the semi going 68mph he would have wrecked anyway? maybe but I doubt it. why are you guys in such a hurry? slow down. in CA the max speed for a trailer is 55mph. highdesertranger

Watching this video again, I think of two haunting thoughts.
1. I wonder if his wife was in the passenger seat yelling at him to slow down.
2. I wonder if there were any survivors.

waldenbound said:
Watching this video again, I think of two haunting thoughts.
1. I wonder if his wife was in the passenger seat yelling at him to slow down.
2. I wonder if there were any survivors.

In the uploader comments he states that the father and 2 kids were OK. I dont know if a wife or anyone else was on board.