Toyota dolphin 1986

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanvanvanvan123

Reaction score
It is being checked as I write this
93,000 mileage
Starts up just the way you would expect a Toyota to start

I have a place to park with electric and water
Question is whether to sell my low mileage ( 41,000 miles ) Camry and only drive this 35 year rv
I’m considering ONLY having the old rv
I’m in San Diego
I’ve seen parking of Rv’s in Kearny mesa
Rosecrans. Even shelter island
North county where I work on weekends as musician is pretty uptight with the police
Looking for opinions about parking , from those with this kind of experience in San Diego
Thank you

Lots of bits and pieces are now aging out. Mostly rubber or synthetic bushings, seals, hoses, sealants around windows, doors, etc. Internal washers O rings and things not visible in pumps, faucets, the toilet seals etc. It will keep you busy for the next few years playing catch-up on various RV type of fittings inside the coach area. So for a while having a second vehicle as a parts runner will be useful. Once you have that stuff sorted out it should be reliable enough.

I've always loved those Toyota RVs - ever since they were new in the 70s! I try to talk to owners of them when I have a chance (getting few and far in between) because I still entertain ideas of coming across a decent condition example to buy. To a person though, the folks I've spoken to list sheer age as the biggest impediment to finding one that's worth restoring. You might have gotten one of those. Good luck! I've found this site (one of several I've come across) that's dedicated to them. Might be a good resource...

https://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php
Cheers!

I
It is being checked as I write this
93,000 mileage
Starts up just the way you would expect a Toyota to start

I have a place to park with electric and water
Question is whether to sell my low mileage ( 41,000 miles ) Camry and only drive this 35 year rv
I’m considering ONLY having the old rv
I’m in San Diego
I’ve seen parking of Rv’s in Kearny mesa
Rosecrans. Even shelter island
North county where I work on weekends as musician is pretty uptight with the police
Looking for opinions about parking , from those with this kind of experience in San Diego
Thank you
I live in Oceanside and the parking here is pretty easy going.

Everything inside a Toyota Dolphin in the way of components is replaceable.You might have to do some adapting of cabinet openings for a different fridge. All the RV companies did catalog shopping for components including windows, doors, sinks, faucets, lights, appliances.

I'm told many also have an issue with leaks in the forward areas of the camper which are in the wind blast - leaky seals with moisture getting forced through I suppose...

Cheers.

The nice thing about the dolphin is they it can park in a regular parking spot. So you can drive it daily if needed.

Parking does seem to be stingy in San Diego. My daughter went to college there and lives there still. I agree with Maki that you should keep the Camry while getting the dolphin up to speed.

Most likely has a 22r, which is a pretty darn good and reliable engine. That said, you'll want to make certain it's ready to take care of you. I have known a lot of people with those engines that abuse them because they know they can. Do the basics (oil, plugs, wires, cap and rotor), and I would also do a compression test.

As mentioned previously, you will have to replace seals and whatnot as they age out. But once you've done what you need to do, then you can truly consider selling your car.

Another thing that comes to mind as I write this. So you have AAA? And if so, is towing the dolphin considered a car or RV to tow? Another reason to do the work up front before giving the Camry up.

Sadly. Inspector said a few things that mixed it . He said them to my friend who knows the inspector Leaky roof was a biggie
No AC. Refrigerator was down I believe
I’m having second thoughts

Just somehow someway live in Camry !!
Should I place further Camry question in a new thread under cars ?
Thanks so much

I’m reconsidering the dolphin

It has leaks. But where they are is not known. Caulking is on seams
Windows around roof
No inverter
Needs batteries
It’s a 50 50 deal. Working and not working
Question: where do you have free parking in San Diego ??? I guess that’s a whole other chapter in the life on the road

I DO have a hookup till the end of October
The inspector says $7000 way too much
I actually like it though !
I don’t think seller wishes lowballing
Finding the right vehicle in this market is difficult

Living in car is so exposed It’s a great car. But goodness ! The Toyotas is tempting I’m spite of

No motorhome of that era came with an inverter. They do generally have converters.

Just remember, there's always another one out there. Don't get emotionally attached to it. If it's gonna be a money pit then, it's not worth sinking your finite resources into it. Just keep looking!

Cheers!

It's old. This past Feb. there was a five week backup in Parker to even get a shop to look at a vehicle. And, if it was even a 19XX they didn't even want to look at it. You will have to find a salvage yard that has several of them, that haven't been picked clean. The 20/22R was a great engine series, but it's old and there's no mechanics today. All a shop does is read the codes and throw chunks at it until the codes clear. Some of the early 22Rs still had carbs. I don't think there are any mechanics that have seen a carb that haven't retired.

Ouch no. DOUBLE OUCH!
Thanks for sobering words
I’m in San Diego and soon to be living in a car ! May we assume, I start a new thread under CARS ? I am sure questions will be coming
Thanks again

If you are trying to do urban camping then a car, van, box truck or even a truck with a camper on it will draw a lot less attention than a motorhome. In Seattle it is not illegal to sleep in a car but there is a restriction on vehicles over 80inches wide parking in a residential neighborhood at night time. That law is strictly about being able to get fire trucks and ambulances down the older residential streets which mostly have lots of cars parked on both sides while people are at home asleep.

So choose your vehicle accordingly so that you do not send up red flags to the local patrols be they police or neighborhood watch crews. A motorhome will send up more red flags than a van. A box truck is pretty wide, of course so is an ambulance camper, a school bus, some step vans, etc. Construction vans get targeted for break-ins as they might contain tools that are easy to resell. No one wants a minivan, they have that association of being driven by moms who fill them up with kids. But they are roomy enough to sleep in.

Ouch no. DOUBLE OUCH!
Thanks for sobering words
I’m in San Diego and soon to be living in a car ! May we assume, I start a new thread under CARS ? I am sure questions will be coming
Thanks againt
I would respond with the same warnings of older vehicles. Pieces and people to fix them are rare. And parts prices are STUPID high. I wanted some 3/8' fuel line for a project, not auto related. I went to Auto Zone. The girl came back with a piece of fuel line and started poking around on the keyboard then said "25 dollars and" before she got to the cents I had turned to leave.

I’m reconsidering the dolphin

It has leaks. But where they are is not known. Caulking is on seams
Windows around roof
No inverter
Needs batteries
It’s a 50 50 deal. Working and not working
Question: where do you have free parking in San Diego ??? I guess that’s a whole other chapter in the life on the road

I DO have a hookup till the end of October
The inspector says $7000 way too much
I actually like it though !
I don’t think seller wishes lowballing
Finding the right vehicle in this market is difficult

Living in car is so exposed It’s a great car. But goodness ! The Toyotas is tempting I’m spite of
i love those Dolphins as well. you won't find many w/o leaks for sure and if they have been repaired they want big bucks!
i doubt if you will have much trouble with the engine but many other "little" things start going out at that age. it really pays
to be handy which i am not :( good luck and happy trails!
jim

I’ve switched my attention to A toyota Sunrader.
It’s 5k more but very little wrong with it
My concern remains police and tickets when not hooked up.
My friend who is out of state is saying I’m making a big deal about police and parking.
If it’s a daily driver - a big if- I would sell my car for a profit
So it’s tempting
I need more info on the “atmosphere “ in Sam diego
To me, it feels less inviting than it did 6 years ago. Some about the vibe in the air.
To buy this 85 rv I need more info about parking
This forum is a huge service to so many

You might contact the SDPD if you have concerns and just ask to clarify any questions and concerns you have. I've found that most PDs are perfectly happy to answer questions from people who are just trying to stay on the right side and out of trouble... Best of luck on your search for that RV!

Cheers!