Town and Country Van, What to buy first?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleanheart

Reaction score
Hello again all! I've moved out of the "introduce yourself" to the question mode.&nbsp;<br>I have some lumber for flooring, my bed and some shelving. Should the insulation be the next thing? I haven't actually done anything at all yet just beginning.&nbsp;<br>Seats need to come out, then I will begin. I want to be able to get into the storage area under the stow and go seats so I'll need to modify the flooring for access to that I suppose.&nbsp;<br>I'll be doing all of this myself so I'll be asking a lot of questions here so please bear with me.<br>I guess the first place to begin would be the flooring. I was dreaming about this last night and was thinking that after putting down the plywood I would use Vinyl flooring squares, easier maintenance I think then use rugs that could be shaken.&nbsp;<br>Any suggestions on this will be welcome.&nbsp;<br>Thanks!<br>Marsha<br><br>ETA: Have question about drilling holes in the interior of the van also since I'm still paying on it. I guess I really have to to put plywood up.......is that scarey or what?!<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Hi Marsha,<br><br>Is there some reason you want to put down an additional floor? Are you insulating under it? Do you live in a climate that is so cold you need to insulate?<br><br>Every layer you put down will compromise the interior height which is not much to start with. Also will make it harder to get to the stowage compartments. <br><br>I think I would take a good look at my needs and desires and see if I could just use a removable rug and even an indoor/outdoor type so it can be taken out easily and washed in a diy carwash. Great for spills which I have fairly often..<br><br>Something I learned from John and Kalani at the RTR is that you can get a nice runner type rug at one of the DIY big-box stores. <br><br>Hope that helps a bit....<br>Bri

Last summer, I bought a 2002 Chrysler Town and Country van.&nbsp; It was in such nice shape, and looked like it had good care all of its life.&nbsp; A week later it treated me to a destroyed transmission, which was replaced with a rebuilt one that the transmission shop even beefed up a bit and added a transmission cooler for a hopefully longer life.&nbsp; Now that I'm learning to trust it (and it really does drive like a dream!), I'm designing interior components for converting it to a camper van, which can be removed for when I need to put the seats back in.&nbsp; Consequently, since the interior is basically like new, I don't want to change anything that's there.&nbsp; I've designed storage components that become seats, with a table, and convert to a bed at night.&nbsp; I'm using floor panels so I have something to attach the box units so they don't slide around.&nbsp; If I want to just use the center seat, I can stack the components in the rear compartment while on the road.&nbsp; The seat then just pops out (and can be used as a comfortable camp chair outside or under an awning) and the components will assemble back into a camper interior.&nbsp; Just thought I'd share what I'm doing.&nbsp; I'll post some pics as it gets completed.&nbsp; I'm aiming for versatility, good space usage (since there isn't much of that anyway), and comfort.&nbsp; Because of lack of space, cooking will be outdoors.&nbsp; The back of the bed unit will be a headboard, with a fold-out counter unit hinged to that, under the open hatchback, to provide a convenient place to set up the propane camp stove.&nbsp; Inside the van, I just want a comfortable place to sit, read, eat, use the computer, and maybe watch movies on my flat-screen TV and DVD player, and a comfortable, dry, secure place to sleep.&nbsp; <br><br>If anyone else is doing anything similar with their Dodge Grand Caravans or Town and Countries, I'd love to hear from you!&nbsp; I'm open to ideas, and will gladly share my own, as well.&nbsp; Mine won't be a full-time camper, but will be a "convertible" van I can use to take road trips lasting from a day or two to a couple weeks at a time.&nbsp; With today's gas prices, I felt I couldn't afford a full-sized van with a typical V-8 engine.&nbsp; The Chrysler V-6 seems quite economical on the road, and I'm really pleased with it.&nbsp; However, I might later decide to get something larger sometime in the future.&nbsp; For gas mileage, I was willing to compromise size for economy this time around.

bk2valve, Great idea! I was thinking of putting down flooring so I could have shelves.....can I still put in shelves without flooring? What do I attach them to? I assumed (there we go) that I would need boards on the sides and bottom to put in shelving and to hook my bed to. Maybe not, not sure..... Thanks for the idea of the indoor outdoor rug tho....it is somethhing I'll be looking at! oh,and what is RTR?<br><br>pdxnate, my van is very nice inside too, kinda like yours, one owner like new....I've had it for almost a week now and so far no problems, keeping the prayers going up for that! I can't afford anything to go wrong yet.&nbsp;<br>I like your ideas I will probably do a little cooking inside, depends on the weather but I will also try to keep the cooking outside mostly. I do want to get the seats out and will not use them, will put them in storage along with some keepsakes I cannot bear to part with. My biggest thing is to sleep comfortable since I have a very physical job and at my age now I need all the TLC my old bones can get!!! ha!

Hi Marsha<br><br>I have a 99 RoadTrek for my travels but I have a Town and Country for my daily driver. I have often looked at it as a possible travel van. My thought was to remove the Stow and Go seats and also the covers and use the recessed floor for a small slide out porta toilet with shelving and a sink above it and also have some room to stand up, partially, to make it easier to dress and wash up etc. Just a thought.<br><br>Tinman

After I bought my Town &amp; Country, the next thing I got was a spiral notebook of graph paper.&nbsp; I've almost filled it with plans, dreams and schemes for creating a camper interior for my van.&nbsp;&nbsp; I have a space approximately 4 feet by 7 feet to work with, so graph paper allows me to keep things within scale and realistic.&nbsp; The plans range from the most simplistic to the most complicated.&nbsp; The simplest, of course, is a folding camp cot (which would have room underneath for storage tubs for my stuff), a sort of commode/bedside table that would house a portable toilet, a folding TV table to eat on or use the computer on, and that would really suffice nicely.&nbsp; I used it that way once and found it nice, because the cot also makes a nice inside seating area.&nbsp; Perfect for simple, solo trips.&nbsp; I'm on a budget -- the wooden components I have designed won't cost an arm and a leg, but will take more time to assemble.&nbsp; And I'm still working out ideas before I begin constructing the components.&nbsp; The interior space is small, so real cabinets and such that I'd put into a larger van just aren't all that practical.&nbsp; I MIGHT be able to build a narrow counter along one side, if I cut down the size of my bed to 3 feet wide, which would narrow down to a two-foot-wide seat along the other side.&nbsp; Sitting down, I could set that up for my camp stove and maybe build in a little sink.&nbsp; An ice chest for food would stow under the bed, or become an additional seat during the day.&nbsp; For anyone now in the designing stages, I suggest sketching out all the alternatives you can think of, and figure out whether or not they'll work for you, before committing yourself to any one plan.&nbsp; It's the pits to spend a lot of time and money only to find out that what looked brilliant on paper just isn't going to work well.&nbsp; I've spent a lot of time looking at ideas online, too, from the most primitive (a sheet of plywood on milk crates) to some beautiful ideas.&nbsp; For something the size of a Chrysler or Dodge minivan, it's worth looking over pictures of interiors of the Volkswagen Westphalia campers, because their space usage is brilliant, and is about the same size (minus the pop-top the VWs have).&nbsp; If you love woodwork and designing, the whole project can be really fun and something to be proud of.&nbsp; If you don't mind primitive, though, and use budget plywood, you can still come up with good ideas.&nbsp; For comfort, however, I suggest sanding down rough surfaces, rounding corners, and using a little finesse.&nbsp; If you're living or camping in your vehicle, slivers and snags on rough corners and surfaces will take the fun away quickly.&nbsp; Also, securing stuff is essential, because the last thing you need in an accident is being impaled by something or regaining consciousness with all the contents of the porta-potty dumped all over you!&nbsp; The reason I'm using wooden floor panels is to have a way to secure everything as best I can.&nbsp; So, with planning and at least a little finesse, anyone can come up with something workable and practical as well as aesthetically pleasing to spend time in.&nbsp; And when it comes to actual construction, your most important tools will be your square and your measuring tape, as well as pencil and paper.&nbsp; Something as little as a half-inch off may well turn out not to fit at all as you planned.&nbsp; Every fraction of an inch counts!&nbsp; It's a lot easier to do something right the first time than to try to do it over or make adjustments later.

pdxnate,<br>Thank you for simplifying this for me. I was really confused as to what I was going to do about my bed and shelving. I do have a cot but it's not real comfortable but would do if I get some more padding. I like the idea of drawing up plans, I started that a couple days ago and I think I have a plan now. Looking at as much as possible on the net there are a lot of great ideas out there. I found a VW converted van and liked what they did and I believe it will work for my needs.&nbsp;<br>Being on a budget will hinder me of course but it shouldn't cut down on comfort. Sanding and rounding corners is very smart and I will certainly be taking care of that little annoyance!!!!! I will then paint the wood surfaces just for some color. I don't think I will want to put wood down over the whole floor tho so I can get into the storage areas where the seats stow away. I'll just put the wood down under the bed (if I build a frame) and to attach my shelves to. Once all that is finished I'll start on ways to have electricity with out burning up my battery.&nbsp;<br>I'd like to be able to have my small flat screen mounted so it will swing out of the way. Having a sink would be great but probably not ideal for my space. I'll have to figure something out. I saw where a guy had taken a stainless steel bowl drilled a hole in the bottom and attached a hose to it that emptied into a bucket. Not a bad idea but I dont' know about the space for something like that. Maybe once I get this van paid off I can then think about getting a bigger van and really setting it up right. But for now I'll probably just use a bowl and some water from a bottle. Not sure yet how that's going to work out.&nbsp;<br>Thanks for your ideas, they really help put my mind at ease! Now, if the weather would cooperate I could get started! lol I won't be moving into the van until it's completely outfitted.<br>Oh I also have to make room for my dogs kennel. ~sigh~<div style="text-align: left;">Marsha</div>

Hi, Marsha --<br><br>I've been reading your posts and admire what you are doing -- it's a huge decision, and getting rid of stuff is my biggest dilemma.&nbsp; I am quite a packrat, especially when it comes to books, magazines, etc.&nbsp; I think it's a congenital condition, because it seems to run in my family!&nbsp; While I'm not yet ready to cut my umbilical cord, and am renting a room from a friend in Portland, I want to see how my van works out for weekend road trips, extend them to longer road trips (not necessarily FARTHER, just staying longer in special places around the Northwest).&nbsp; I have a kayak rack for the top, and once the van is set up for such adventures, I can take off and go paddling anywhere, for as long as I wish.&nbsp; Washington and Oregon are full of prime locations for any outdoor recreation, and I want to enjoy all that for as long as I'm able.&nbsp; I'm 67, not getting any younger!&nbsp; I think if I WERE looking for something for full-time living, I might think of a larger conversion van made for that purpose -- there are many out there, for sale at reasonable prices.&nbsp; Cost of fuel is my main consideration, but as I said, I don't have to go far out of town to start enjoying the beauty of Nature!&nbsp; Financially, it sounds like you are in a similar situation to mine, except that I'm fully retired and just living on my Social Security, although I sometimes get in extra cash selling a painting or two or some of my wood carvings.&nbsp; If I lived on the road, I could easily hit street fairs and such to sell my work, and I want to use my van for just getting out and doing plein-aire painting and sketching, as well as my photography.&nbsp; It can function as a studio on the road, too.&nbsp; Just setting up at a scenic overlook along the Oregon Coast, with my easel and paints out and capturing the scene on canvas draws positive attention from other travelers, too.&nbsp; Having a few paintings or drawings along to sell couldn't hurt.&nbsp; Same thing with sitting in a fairly public spot and whittling is also a good way to bring in some extra cash.&nbsp; So living on the road wouldn't be too big a stretch -- it's getting rid of STUFF that haunts me!&nbsp; Especially my precious tools!<br><br>Thanks for all your input.&nbsp; It's nice to communicate with others with similar aspirations!!<br><br>Nate

Hi Nate,<br>I too am a packrat and I have come to believe that it certainly runs in the family. My Mother was also a packrat. lol So, this part of getting rid of things is going to be difficult to say the least! I was able just today to sell my log bed frame that I loved so well, but I had to start somewhere. Every piece of something that I sell will go in a special account so I can buy the best of batteries so I can have electricity as I plan on living full time in this little van. I am going to make double payments so I can have it paid off in half the time, then I will get a bigger van.&nbsp;<br>I am working part-time cleaning houses (on my own) but do pretty good as far as pay, but financially I'm still strapped. I have very little debt other than the van and as soon as I get in the Van the sooner I can be really free.&nbsp;<br>Sounds like you're very talented and are able to help yourself a little financially. That's always a plus. I don't really have any special talents or skills. I do tan deer hides the old way and also the new way which is much easier. I am a horticulturist but there's not much call for that being mobile all the time. I do work in some gardens and yards in the summer months tho. But right now I'm very limited as to where I can go. At least until I get this van paid off.&nbsp;<br>I like your idea of using your van as a studio selling your wares. and it sounds like you're confident enough.&nbsp;<br>I'm finding a lot of comfort in our conversation so I thank you!<br>Marsha

Scored tonight at work! I clean a Salon on Sundays and they have been remodeling and threw out several very nice totes, clear which I got and also the plastic shelves that are the pull out type I see in so many of the conversions that I've looked at. I'm very happy that this will save me a little money. lol I was thrilled to spot them in the trash and I got them out pronto! Never thought I'd be dumpster diving. lol But there I was boosting myself up and over. Was exciting and a little fun. Ha! I am feeling like I'm on my way to freedom finally! I can actually see me doing this. I talked to my best friend tonight who is living in Florida taking care of her parents about it and well, she's not happy about it but didn't try to talk me out of it and was actually a wee bit encouraging. It felt good to talk to someone about it. She knows me well and when she saw my picture of my van she kind of put 2 and 2 together and called me out on it. Ha! Just like a best friend isn't it! Getting more and more exciting! i was going to give myself a year to do this but may just make it much sooner. I figure I have to work for at least 3 more years here and then maybe, just maybe I can hit the road and see some of this beautiful country we live in! I'm very happy tonight. Thanks to all who encourage me!