Towels towels towels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
out west here with our low humidity line dry in the sun works fine even on heavy cotton. the UV will take care of the funk. I actually prefer line drying to regular dryers, you get that fresh smell and feel with no additives. highdesertranger

The only thing that happens with clothes, or towels, that hang outside in the city of Los Angeles to dry involves an unusual odor and dirt :dodgy: .

yeah but Los Angeles is in Kalifornia. Kalifornia is a ugly place. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
yeah but Los Angeles is in Kalifornia.  Kalifornia is a ugly place.  highdesertranger

I know I've only been there 5 times but I would sworn it's spelled California.  :)

Like everywhere there are not so nice places and otherwise incredibly beautiful places.

For instance the red woods are a wonder to see.  Big Sur is an astounding place.  The Brea Tar pits were pretty freaking cool.

I do understand that some might complain about the strict environmental regulations but it seems that year after year they are shown to be ahead of their times in terms of identifying some truly horrible products and ingredients in many a manufactured item, such as lead, copper and zink.

It seems odd that as a moderator of this board it would somehow be OK to disparage an entire state just for some petty political purpose of your own.

sorry if spelling California with a K offended you it was not meant to offend you or anybody, and I was not a mod at the time. I agree CA has some beautiful places. highdesertranger

You can spell it with a C or a K.
I live here in The Peoples State of California.

I put used towels into a grocery bag and then I get em out of the van asap , I put them in my storage dirty laundry , I wash laundry once a week.

When I lived in China, the towels and summer clothing sold were always much thinner than American towels.  It took me a while to figure out that's because nobody there has a clothes dryer.   Right now, I live in Arizona, where it's so dry that it's hard to imagine the possibility of funky towels. When I move into my van, I will avoid heavy, thick cotton clothes and towels, and look for the thin, cheap looking, quickly dry sort.  (Does dollar store sell towels?  That's the sort I will want.)   I am also planning to build good ventilation into the van.   Moving air is essential to avoid funkiness of all sorts.  

Has anybody done anything clever about designing a clothesline for their van?  i'm thinking about maybe having a couple of hooks on opposite walls with an elastic travel line strung between, but I'd like to come up with something that doesn't block the back windows and is maybe a little cleverer.  Also, if I'm boondocked, then I'd definitely prefer to hang laundry outside when possible.

I just purchased a Nina Soft spinner from Amazon, and it really does remove tons of water.  At this point, I don't know whether I will have space for it in my build, because it's fairly large, and requires about 24 inches of vertical clearance.  But I am sure that if I'm washing clothes by hand, it will be amazingly convenient for getting nearly all of the water out of my laundry before I hang it up to dry.  I believe that the same company also has a smaller model, but I'm not sure how much smaller it is.  

Just want to share one more tip from my China life.   Over there, bedding is always aired out in the morning, then the comforter folded neatly up and out of the way so that the mattress also can air dry thoroughly.  I've always thought that was much more sensible than quickly making a bed back up, American style, first thing in the morning, which is bound to trap lots of moisture.

I've been spending a few weeks along the Pacific coast. The fog rolls in every evening and stays until late morning, yet people hang their towels and swimwear outside, hoping their stuff will somehow dry.

Tussah said:
I've always thought that was much more sensible than quickly making a bed back up, American style, first thing in the morning, which is bound to trap lots of moisture.

That's why I never made my bed once I left home and got away from Mom's insistence upon bed making.

TMG51 said:
I agree, I wouldn't suggest spending $40 on a towel if avoidable. The day I bought that one I was on a mission to have a 2nd towel.

I found a large microfiber towel intended as a "miracle dog drying towel" at a discount store for $5, I've been using it for several years now! It has an outline of a bone on it too! Dries quickly and lightweight.  :heart:

Tussah said:
When I lived in China, the towels and summer clothing sold were always much thinner than American towels.  It took me a while to figure out that's because nobody there has a clothes dryer.   Right now, I live in Arizona, where it's so dry that it's hard to imagine the possibility of funky towels. When I move into my van, I will avoid heavy, thick cotton clothes and towels, and look for the thin, cheap looking, quickly dry sort.  (Does dollar store sell towels?  That's the sort I will want.)   I am also planning to build good ventilation into the van.   Moving air is essential to avoid funkiness of all sorts.  

Has anybody done anything clever about designing a clothesline for their van?  i'm thinking about maybe having a couple of hooks on opposite walls with an elastic travel line strung between, but I'd like to come up with something that doesn't block the back windows and is maybe a little cleverer.  Also, if I'm boondocked, then I'd definitely prefer to hang laundry outside when possible.

I just purchased a Nina Soft spinner from Amazon, and it really does remove tons of water.  At this point, I don't know whether I will have space for it in my build, because it's fairly large, and requires about 24 inches of vertical clearance.  But I am sure that if I'm washing clothes by hand, it will be amazingly convenient for getting nearly all of the water out of my laundry before I hang it up to dry.  I believe that the same company also has a smaller model, but I'm not sure how much smaller it is.  

Just want to share one more tip from my China life.   Over there, bedding is always aired out in the morning, then the comforter folded neatly up and out of the way so that the mattress also can air dry thoroughly.  I've always thought that was much more sensible than quickly making a bed back up, American style, first thing in the morning, which is bound to trap lots of moisture.

Tussah, check this out: I have one in my house and plan to bring it along when I go mobile! It comes with 2 sets of brackets so you can mount one set inside and one set outside or whatever you wish, then pop the expanding rack off the bracket to relocate! It's nomadic perfection.

https://www.amazon.com/Polder-Wall-Mount-24-Inch-Accordion-Clothes/dp/B000GBK2WO

And you can't beat the old-fashioned folding clothes dryer rack -- very easy to store as well.

Solved this issue long ago after dealing with dirty boys taking 2 showers daily and surfing. I buy only turkish towels, like these on Amazon. They dry very fast and are 100% cotton, also big enough to double as a beach towel or wrap. I have an RV washer made by LG and use the steam/sanitary cycle at 180 degrees to clean them. The steam cycle always gets the funky smell out/kills germs & uses hardly any water. Love my soft turkish towels!

My steam cycle in the van always leads to loud unacceptable noise from the engine.

ccbreder said:
My steam cycle in the van always leads to loud unacceptable noise from the engine.

:huh:  Sounds like a problem :s  I obviously don't live in a van anymore. Upon the discovery of this washer I'm not sure I want to go without it. Although hanging your clothes in the direct sun should kill the germs too. UV radiation ya know.

I'm going to look like Ma Ingalls when I'm boondocking, because I plan on setting up a clothesline and washing my things by hand then hanging them up to dry.  Line dried clothes, with the sun and the wind in them, are a luxury, not a hardship.
Having quick drying fabrics helps too.

I have a wooden stick towel... easily scrapes the water right off your body, dry!
I think microfiber towels are really good at drying you off, and in a breeze dry very fast.

A note of caution to buying cheap towels: many have a high nylon or other other polyester content and do not dry you off at all!

With that said, I am alas having to part with the nearly worn towels that my mom bought for our "new" house in 1966! They were of the highest cotton you could buy then (certainly not the 400 or 600 thread counts you get today!) and went to the beach and the pool often...7 of us.. And just NOW are they showing the wear. Mom knew how to buy stuff that lasted, but then, most things did back then if you paid a little bit more.

Actual flax/linen is the best. Health benefits, fast drying, lasts forever, antimicrobial. I just inherited a few pieces and wow, much better than any cotton towel hands down.

Latest posts