Towels towels towels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iggy

Reaction score
Alright, I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problem as me. I carry 3 towels in my van. One is a beach towel, the other 2 I alternate for when I shower. If I'm close to Anytime Fitness, I generally shower every day. The towel gets hung up to be air-dried after. I do laundry every two weeks. My problem is that eventually(after 2-4 months) the towels start smelling musty and no amount of laundry soap seems to cut it. So I have to ditch them and buy new. I've switched up detergents and tried both thick and thin towels, with no change.
This isn't a big expense and maybe it's TMI. But it's kind of annoying to have to throw away my favorite Muppets towel, you know! Any advice?

I use yoga towels. Not the padded yoga mats, just the thin microfiber kind. They're absorbent, bigger than a normal bath towel, and they dry so quickly that I've never experienced a mildew smell. If the sun is out I hang one of these in the sun and it's dry in minutes. Today was a cloudy rainy day and I took a shower anyway, and hung the yoga towel inside the van after, and it still air dried within a couple hours.

The first one I bought at Walmart for ~$10. When I wanted another I couldn't find one at Walmart so I bought one at a sporting store for $40. It is identical to the Walmart one.

The first one I've had since my first stint in a car before buying the van, so, I've been using it regularly for a couple years. No musty smell.

I'll have to look for one of those, just hopefully for less than $40. That's a lot of money to me right now. Thanks for the tip!

Your towels are not really clean. You can add 2 to 4 tbsp white vinegar to rinse water. I use Downy softener dispenser ball I found with liquid fabric softeners at Wal-Mart. I also make my own laundry soap. Works much better than store bought

Iggy said:
I'll have to look for one of those, just hopefully for  less than $40. That's a lot of money to me right now. Thanks for the tip!

I agree, I wouldn't suggest spending $40 on a towel if avoidable. The day I bought that one I was on a mission to have a 2nd towel.

I'm not a full timer, but I did spend 2 weeks living out of a not-converted cargo trailer while on a trip through Utah. We stayed at rv parks with showers.

The people we met up with, and were with us the whole time, and the bf had big regular towels. I took a cue from Vanlifecrisis and took the smaller square microfiber towels (same material as the yoga towel, but the size of a paper towel). Since we were gone most of the day, the bf's towel hung inside the cargo trailer to air dry, or had to hang up outside while at camp. A few times his weren't all the way dry before the next shower. I know everyone else had to do laundry midway and included their towels, not sure if that was because of funkiness or just threw them into the pile. (I packed smart and didn't need laundry service)

Me, I took 2 of my small microfiber towels with me to the shower. They packed nicely in my bathroom backpack. One got me dry enough to dress, the other helped get most of the water out of my shoulder length hair. I wrung them out, then hung them on the outside of my bathroom backpack to dry and were dry fairly quick. Certainly completely dry by the next shower time.

Bought a pack of them I think from the auto department at Walmart fairly cheap. I took about 6 of them, wound up only needing the two for the two weeks. Took up way less space than bigger towels, added bonus.

Just a thought.

(thank you Vanlifecrisis for the tip, it worked well! I'm keeping the 6 of them packed and ready in my van)

Bacteria mold yeast all are growing in your slightly damp towels, then hibernating in the fiber. Vinegar may work, but nothing beats an oxidizer. Oxy clean, or Clorox. You got to kill the spores.

The problem with the microfiber towels (I have one in my overnight kit) is they don't get you dry dry. You are still damp. Not a problem in the summer but not so great in the winter when it is cold.

The basic fact is this. Your towels, as well as the rest of your clothes, is still dirty. Most laundry detergents suck. So you add highly fragranced fabric softener that covers the "dirty" smell of your supposedly clean clothes. Clean clothes should smell clean until you get them dirty. They should not smell stale or funky. Even when using a dryer.

I have only used two detergents that TRULY get your clothes clean. One is SA8 from Amway. Wonderful stuff but you either have to know an Amway distributor or become an Amway distributor (I once was years ago). Wonderful stuff! The other detergent is the one I have been making. The recipe I use makes a lot. I have mine stored in small plastic buckets with snap on lids. You can buy buckets and paint cans with lids at the big box home improvement stores. You need to keep this stuff dry, just like any powdered laundry detergent. My washer is a top loader and I put it in first then add the clothes on top (cold wash/cold rinse). In the winter time when the incoming water is so cold the soap won't dissolve, I start with hot water (my 10 gallon water heater runs out fast) on the smallest load setting. I put the detergent in the bottom of the tub and add the hot water (it will run cold) until the washer starts agitating. I let it agitate a few minutes then add the dirty clothes and fill the washer on up. I'm currently using to front loader at my daughter's house (I hate front loaders). I put a scoop in the bottom of the tub, not the detergent dispenser, and the plop the dirties on top and start it up (warm wash/cold rinse). Sometimes I use the white vinegar (diluted with water) in the Downey ball. But most of the time I forget. It doesn't seem to be needed as much with the homemade detergent I'm using. My clothes smell clean. I do not use fabric softener (I keep 3 tennis balls in my dryer, none in my daughter's dryer) so I do have a little static (mostly with fuzzy sweaters). I very rarely add additional bleach as the recipe gets out most stains as is. My sheets, towels, blankets smell clean for weeks, months. I just pulled the blankets out of storage. They were washed, dried and folded. I store them in those big vacuum storage bags. They smell as clean and fresh as when I laundered them back in the spring. You might be able to get the price down lower by using a store brand of Oxyclean but it's not that expensive. But a single batch of detergent lasts me several months. I've only made two batches. My first batch was made at the end of May 2014.

I use Ivory and my daughter uses Zote white. She likes the fragrance of the Zote white. I'm also lazy and like that the Ivory can be 'waved making it able to be crumbled up with my hands. My directions call for putting it in the food processor but the last batch I made, I didn't even bother doing that. I was watching TV while mixing the detergent in a tall kitchen trash bag. I just crushed it with my hands. Only takes a few minutes. Making the big batch means you don't have to store the excess ingredients although you do have to store the detergent. I've heard most folks put it in a 5 gallon bucket with a Gamma lid on it. They do make Gamma lids for the smaller buckets too. You can also store it in multiple 1 gallon ziplock bags. Just keep it protected from moisture.

Recipe with pictures And don't use more than the little scoop, even with big loads. My daughter said that her first few washings really pulled the left in soap out of her clothes, they sudsed a lot. She was using laundromat machines. This is a low sudsing detergent. As in only a few bubbles. Don't freak and add more detergent. It's supposed to be like that. The suds are not what cleans your clothes.

Microfiber towels [like they sell in the automotive department] are the most practical because they dry more quickly. It's best not to put them into a dryer, as they lose their absorbency. Depending on where I am, my cotton towels may stay damp until I can use a commercial laundry because they simply don't air dry.

mockturtle said:
Microfiber towels [like they sell in the automotive department] are the most practical because they dry more quickly.
Do they dry YOU more quickly or themselves? The one I have is from an automotive dept. It leaves me damp. That is just icky. Then I'm both damp and cold. Maybe some towels are different. Or it's a personal thing.

I will stick with my bath sheets (yep, I have oversized towels). But my towels don't stink. I seriously think far too many of you have been using dirty towels. Which means your undies are dirty too. Ick!

I use a bit of chlorine bleach in my wash to keep the funky smell down.   Especially when away from home and doing laundry by the bucket method.  I like air drying out in the Florida sun, but this past summer was rainy.  Weather is dry now.
Vinegar is a good idea, if chlorine bothers you.

out west here with our low humidity line dry in the sun works fine even on heavy cotton. the UV will take care of the funk. I actually prefer line drying to regular dryers, you get that fresh smell and feel with no additives. highdesertranger

i switched to microfiber towels (rags). Like 3 bucks for pack of four. It absorbs a lot for small cloth, ring most out. drives in sun in less than hour. even inside van i toss it over something and it dries, no smell.

My brother found some larger ones for a few more bucks.

highdesertranger said:
out west here with our low humidity line dry in the sun works fine even on heavy cotton.  the UV will take care of the funk.  I actually prefer line drying to regular dryers,  you get that fresh smell and feel with no additives.  highdesertranger

And in NM, you end up with dirty clothes from the dust! I tried that when we first moved to NM (Socorro, which is a few miles north of Highdesert ranger). Got tired of having to rewash my recently clean clothes.

I ordered a microfiber bath towel from Amazon a few weeks ago. It was $25 with shipping costs. I love it! It does dry quickly and without leftover odors. Rather expensive for a piece of cloth, but I expect to get a lot of use out of it. So the cost will probably be mere pennies per use. I'm happy with my investment!

We have two types of "camp" towels and I don't care that much for any of them yet we still use them since they take up little space and dry quickly. What we have at home is the thinner ribbed-cotton towels and they do dry so much quicker than your standard solid towels and you get dry using them. In humid climates, wet fabric is tough to deal with. I agree that anything with "Oxy" works nicely in getting rid of odors that can hide in synthetic fabrics.

Anyone use linen towels/sheets/bath sheets?
I've been thinking of picking some up on Amazon when I see them on sale.  Seems like a good multipurpose item, and would pack smaller as well as dry faster than terry cloth towels.
I can't stand the feel of microfiber anything - sheets, towels, etc.  I don't know why, but something about it just sets my teeth on edge.

I agree about the microfiber sheets. They are awful, cheapo type cloth. But I took a chance on the towel and I do like it! It doesn't slide across the skin like cotton but seems to vacuum the water off. And my towel is usually dry in 2-4 hours even in high humidity or cold temperatures. My cotton towels would take a day or two in Oregon's winter climate, if they dried at all. So I'm a convert.

mayble said:
Anyone use linen towels/sheets/bath sheets?
I've been thinking of picking some up on Amazon when I see them on sale.  Seems like a good multipurpose item, and would pack smaller as well as dry faster than terry cloth towels.
I can't stand the feel of microfiber anything - sheets, towels, etc.  I don't know why, but something about it just sets my teeth on edge.

I like linen because it drys quick, absorbs well, smells good from sun and wind, is thin, can be used as blanket without picking up sand.
I like to use soap nuts for laundry, doesn't leave fabric with any detergent odor.

LeeRevell said:
I like air drying out in the Florida sun...
Given the humidity there, it must take days to dry.  :sleepy:

Latest posts