Tow capacity of Ford E350

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catalekid

Reaction score
Do van towing capacities equal that of a pickup with the same rating?

In other words, can I expect a Ford E350 to tow a 29 ft travel trailer as well as a F350 pickup will?

Thanks if you can help.

"Do van towing capacities equal that of a pickup with the same rating?"

I don't know, what does the sticker in the door jamb say?

tow ratings vary from year to year even vehicle to vehicle. it's very much a individual vehicle basis, just because one vehicle has an xxx tow rating doesn't mean they all have that exact same rating. also what's loaded in the tow vehicle has a lot to do with it.

highdesertranger

catalekid said:

In other words, can I expect a Ford E350 to tow a 29 ft travel trailer as well as a F350 pickup will?

Thanks if you can help.
no on the first cause a van is not a pickup and not built the same for 'driving and, oh, that pull type different feature' we might need from that vehicle over whatever terrain............but each vehicle is 'rated' on weight to pull etc so yes one can pull the same weight but at what diff. in driving ya know?  diesel vs gas etc.

and then it is put the F E350 year etc against the F350 but a 'truck' will not drive the same' as a van ya know cause of the fact they are built different etc. and wind resistance when driving and all that jazz....  Not sure if a truck or van to pull is right for your 29 ft travel trailer, in the end it is ALL about the rating for that vehicle against a LOADED rv you are pulling so?

it is 100% about the vehicle and its rating and what you need but in the end, don't ever over tax your tow vehicle against what you are hauling cause ALL LIFE is about that tow vehicle ya know.  More tow vehicle is the best way to roll all the time when hauling.

just what I am thinking on what ya asked :)  year make, model, your rv loaded, your terrain, your size requirements and more all come into play.

I have used both pick ups and vans to tow our 26 ft 6000lb travel trailer. The e350 van tows it fine. The e250 diesel pick up does not even know it is back there. I have towed a 11,000 lb trailer with the van from job to storage in Albuquerque and I was never so glad to get something unhooked. Using the pick up is alot easier with that 11,000lb trailer. Still prefer the van because we leave travel trailer in town when we go way out in van.

catalekid said:
Thanks if you can help.
On my 2013 E350 passenger, it does not have a factory tow pkg, and is only rated to tow 5000 lb. A factory tow pkg, it would add a different rear end, & be rated at 6700. I'm guessing you can get an F350 rated to tow much more.

I wanted a diesel truck for towing, but getting a diesel van was cheaper.

Mine is a 2006 Chevy Express 2500 with the Duramax 6.6 liter.

But turbodiesels in vans have little room for airflow in the cramped engine bays. Heat is the killer of diesels, so these models were detuned slightly and don't put out as much power as the ones found in trucks for the same model year. Also, industrial purchasers usually didn't seek towing power out of diesel vans as much as they did miles per gallon, which the detuned models certainly supplied.

The Chevy 2006 truck model produced 360hp and 650 torque,...my 2006 van puts out 250hp/440tq. That might seem low performance, but by comparrison, the Ram Cummins combo just 6 years earlier was doing nearly the exact same numbers. And no one is calling those trucks wimps. They've towed plenty of heavy loads. Also consider that the 6.0 gas motor put out only 380tq. Yeah, it had 345hp, but torque is what moves heavy stuff off the line. And while a 6.0 might be able to tow the same trailer or load at X number of pounds, its gonna use a LOT of gas doing it and crawl off the line until it gets enough rpm.

I tow a 24ft cargo trailer with mine. I also recently hauled my buddy's 8800 lb. Suburban on a tow dolly from Phoenix up to Flagstaff over some steep grades. It doesn't do it as nimbly as the pickup with more powerful version of the Duramax would, but it didn't really struggle at all except the steepest stretches.