Tool Survey

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Saw Do You Carry in Your Rig?

• Circular Saw

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Jig Saw

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lopicma

Reaction score
I am looking for people's opinions (as dangerous as that is) on POWER tools you carry on your rig.  I am not interested in the brands.  I am already committed to the Ryobi system.

1 - Circular Saw
2 - Jig Saw

Thanks for your valuable time and opinions.

Small electric chainsaw with a short bar. Great for making firewood. Got mine from a pole trimmer.

Why do you want to know what people carry if you have already decided what to buy?

If you are you going to be making long straight cuts, then it's a circular saw.
If you're going to be making shorter curved cuts then the jigsaw.

If you know how to use the tools and what you are going to use them for, you know which tool you need. What everybody else uses seems irrelevant.

I can make crude cuts with my chainsaw and if I was talented, I could carve logs.

I would advise you to re-consider the Ryobi brand.Do you have access to Consumer Reports?

Shemp while I agree about Ryobi tools, remember they are very popular with the non professional people. for occasional use they seem to work ok. highdesertranger

My main reason for using the Ryobi One 18 volt system is the batteries can be used for any of their products so one vehicle charger (DC to DC) can be used efficiently with my vehicle or solar to keep the up to 9 AH lithium batteries charged. They run all my lighting, wet/dry vacuum, fan, mister fan, air compressor for tires, as well as a 1/2" impact, drill, saws and grinder. They do not run as cool as higher quality tools and therefore do not last as long but by buying on sale with a warranty using a Home Depot credit card I can get a free replacement at any Home Depot anytime. As long as you don't run them constantly for several hours at a time and over heat them they last. I have only had to replace 2 tools in the last 4 years and by buying during the fall/Christmas sales spent substantially less than I would have for quality tools that I had to use multiple chargers or battery adaptors for as they change battery voltages and styles. I used Dewalt tools previously but found the replacement tools and batteries seemed to be becoming less durable than the newer higher voltage tools. I felt the newer style Ryobi tools were much improved over the old blue Ryobi tools, that they preformed close to the way my older Dewalt tools had and many new products were available that Dewalt didn't offer. I basically got lithium battery tech to run everything in my little camper for a fraction of the cost at the time (4 years ago). I felt the other manufactures were intentionally creating a market for their new improved tools unlike Ryobi which created new products for their One batteries. Would I use Ryobi tools commercially? Probably but I would have to warranty them every month. Would I buy the new high priced Dewalt tools? Only if I were rich and didn't care about the bottom line in a situation where I couldn't get replacements like the South Pole. A circle saw with both wood and metal blades for straight cuts is what I use most times. A reciprocating saw or jig saw works better for materials you can't lay flat on a bench and can cut curves but requires more control as the blade is much more likely to flex.

I don't carry a power saw. The few times I've needed one in the past six years -- and the need has never been urgent -- I've managed to borrow one. Jigsaw, reciprocating saw, circular saw, compound mitre saw, table saw, chain saw... You'd be surprised how many nomads travel with a crap-ton of power tools. I let them provide what I need.

Besides, there's no job so huge in our rigs that it can't be done with non-powered tools. A hand saw is cheap, rugged, easy to store, doesn't need electricity, and can be used to play music.

Harbor Freight sells a 12" flush cut Portland saw for less than $9. I have used it to cut 2x4 lumber and thin aluminum. It is about the size of a butcher knife.

lopicma said:
I'm tight for space and only have room for one type.
A jig saw is smaller so if space is tight then do that. Also carry a long straight edge to guide it for making more accurate cuts. But if I need long cuts I have the lumberyard make them. But I make sure my design has some leeway in it case they are off by an 1/8" or so.

I do travel with a jig saw, it is corded but I also travel with a small generator so that is not an issue. I bought my Bosch jigsaw the first year they started making the ones that are nicely counterbalanced. Jigsaw design is critical for how smoothly they will cut. The cheap ones will vibrate like crazy and the cuts are a mess as a result.

But jigsaw or circular saw the key to getting a terrific straight cut is having the saw guided against a good stiff, straight edge that is firmly clamped in place.

A Worx 4-1/2" trim saw and a jigsaw for me. Both corded and usually used with an inverter. Also a 15" toolbox saw.

I carry a folding pruning saw and have used it for simple projects. The Ryobi kits are on my wish list.

In the interest of keeping the weight down and also for space saving I do carry a Japanese hand saw and a guide for it. The guide allows me to make very precise compound miter cuts. Perfect for making cabinets while out on the road. You can also do guided rip cuts on sheets of plywood with it. The Japanese saws cut very quickly, I have one that is fine toothed for very smooth cuts and also a coarse toothed one for doing cuts for framing lumber such as on a house.

So with this saw I don't need a power miter saw or a circular saw. I just carry the jig saw because it is handy for making curved cuts such as the cutout for a round sink.

Here is a link to the Japanese saw and the miter guide. Not inexpensive but less expensive than many power tools.
https://z-saw.co.jp/en/Sawguide.html

Have you considered a recip saw? It can harvest firewood, build furniture, and cut into sheet metal with the right set of blades.

Latest posts