tool recommendations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorelei072

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this so I put it here.

What tools are good quality for the money? I lost my Craftsman set in my divorce 20 years ago. I don't know if Craftsman is as good today as it used to be, but I especially wary of Sears long decline. I'm leaning towards Walmart tools since they're not going away and if I recall correctly they're guaranteed for life.

What power tools are indispensable for van building?

What multimeters do you like? Is it necessary to go out and buy a Fluke 115 if you don't want to spend money on cheap stuff that doesn't work right?

you can get Craftsman tools at Lowes and I believe Ace Hardware now. if Sears goes under Craftsman will live on, however they are not what they used to be. Walmart tools my guess are made in China, your choice if you want to support them.

as far as power tools a drill/driver is a must, then some type of saw. a jig saw would be the most versatile but straight lines are easier with a circular saw.

well Fluke is top of the line but lesser brands can perform just as well. again with the China stuff.

highdesertranger

I bought the Ridgid lithium powered set consisting of drill, impact driver, circular saw and recip. saw. Add a saber saw, router, miter
and sander and it's possible to make a great build.

The Ridgid lithium batteries were charged about once a week even though they were used daily.

I don't care for Harbor Freight power tools or drill bits, but their sockets and ratchets are good IMHO.

You can buy older Craftsman ratchets, sockets, and other hand tools,etc on Ebay and other online auction sites. I bought a Craftsman 3/4" drive set to go with my 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4" drive sets. Thought I was going to rebuild an old Mercedes Benz, but that fell thorough.

Older quality tools like Snap On bought used and cheap if you have the time to look and can find them are great, especially ratchets and screw drivers. Something quick and cheap especially wrenches, that you are likely not to have room to store Harbor Freight (Pittsburg tools) on sale with coupons are hard to beat with whole sets the price of one quality wrench often less than $10. Most hand tools come with lifetime warranties any more, just ask. I've gone through a lot of Harbor Freight voltmeters giving them to people that want to borrow my Fluke meter but as they were all free with a coupon and purchase I tell them to keep them. Ryobi one 18 volt tools because the batteries and vehicle charger can be used for fans, lights and so much more while traveling.

I am still using my Craftsman 1/2" drive ratchet set that my parents bought me when I was around 13 year old. Gee, that was 50 years ago...

Lorelei072 said:
If I were you and I am not, I would buy a kit of battery tools usually comes with 5 in a set. All the main manufacturers have these and at various prices, often come with a circular, saw a grinder,drill and driver, a multi tool (vibrating saw) reciprocating saw, or a combination of these sometimes with a flashlight. They are often on special if you are patient they are good value. Battery tools are the way to go. You will need a jigsaw, a circular saw, drill and driver, a multi tool is very handy as is a grinder or a small recipricating saw, whichever brand you choose stay with the same voltage and brand so you can use the same batteries and just buy extra tools as you find a need for them. Kits usually come in nice carry bags and you can recharge off your solar or while driving. The batteries are very good these days. Some brands to look at Dewalt Makita, Milwakee some less expensive, Ridgid, Ryobi, if you stay with these brands you can’t go wrong. I wouldn’t buy any tools from Walmart

KI carry a LIUMY multimeter/oscilloscope 2.0 . These are invaluable especially in you care about waveforms etc from your solar or HAM radio gear. Cheap on amazon

If your tools are not making you money go with a Harbor Freight (HF) set of metric ratcheting wrenches, a set of 1/2” deep impact metric sockets and a ratchet. A set of 3/8” metic sockets and a 3/8” ratchet.make sure you have a spark plug socket that fits your spark plugs on your rig and short and long extenders.
A set of HF screw drivers straight, Phillips, Torx and Allen hex you can get all of them in one kit. They are not the greatest but will get you by.

A set of HF pliers, needle nose, end cutters and some type of locking pliers.

One HF adjustable wrench, a hammer, small shovel and a hatchet

Go with the RYOBI power tools. They have so many options including vacuum cleaners, compressors, mitre saw etc that once you are done with the build you can sell off the bigger items and keep the impact driver, drill and jig saw. I started my eldest daughter on these and they are fine for the non pro.

Sell the mitre saw and get the compressor or inflator and coffee maker.

I know someone will complain about not buying USA made but again ....if your tools are not making you professional level money don’t spend the big bucks for them.

I have plenty of USA made tools (recent purchase) so I know what they cost and do my share for USA companies

Edit...use the HF online coupon for 20% off even if you have to buy one tool at a time and come back in 5 minutes to buy another and get another 20% off.

With the RYOBI use the get a free tool with battery and charger purchase promotion going on now

Lorelei072 said:

A jig saw and a drill!

A circular saw is nice if you can handle it but keep in mind that the lumber yards (H/D, Lowes etc) will all do straight cuts for you, usually for free, sometimes a small charge.

I chose corded tools because they were lighter and way cheaper. I always found that the battery packs ran down about a 1/2 hour before I wanted to quit for the day.. :rolleyes:

Complete build thread link in my signature and if you  have any questions just ask!

You don't need all that many tools to do a basic build in a van. The place to start is to figure out what you want to build and then buy the tools that are needed. Don't do it the other way around. That will prevent you from over buying on an overly tight budget.

But if your money is tight then buy your tools on craigslist, Facebook Market place or other from other local buy and sell internet sites. Take advantage of the discounted prices. Then when you are done you can sell them for the price you paid if you were careful to know that what you paid was a reasonable price for that item. That way you will essentially have a free, long term "rental". If you fall in love with some of the tools then you can keep them knowing that they are good tools that were a wise investment. The basic tools you need are very frequently found for sale on craigslist and other selling sites. Don't worry too much about the brand name, just make sure they are in good condition when you purchase them. You are not going to be using them to earn your living so they don't have to be super durable or high quality.

Yep agree, buy what you need as and when you need it.
One of the best tools I ever bought and used to convert a wooden boat while It was on a mooring was a double bladed Japanese hand saw, it is perfect for cutting very fine edges used in cabinet making and fitting out below decks.
Later bought a Power8 work station which is all driven by 12v battery packs, has a built in table saw and drill press. Don't even know if they still make them but was great for wood working projects. Bound to be a modern equivalent available.

As for engine mechanical tools, I still use a very old Toledo tools 1/2 and 3/4 drive socket sets, torque wrenches and old Sidchrome spanners.

Craftsman is not what it use to be. The last few years I have had great luck with Kobalt from Lowes. I use them every day and have yet to bust one socket. Use to bust plenty of Craftsman.
If you have plenty of money then Snap On. :D

You can find out many tools from Walmart tools most of them are made in China you can also buy on discounted price as far as power tools a drill/driver is a must, then some type of saw. a jig saw would be the most versatile but straight lines are easier with a circular saw.

well Fluke is top of the line but lesser brands can perform just as well. again with the China stuff.

Snap on tools are my fave, but expensive. My SK ratchet still works after many years of abuse. I love those multitool sets. 

Power tools I went with the green line- Ryobi rechargable battery powered stuff. Also a jig saw in the Black & Decker box. I did not need a skil saw on the build. 

For your finishes, I prefer the disposable foam brushes and foam rollers.

-crofter

Latest posts