Tomorrow IS THE DAY

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viewon1

Reaction score
1983 Chevy 20 ft Motorhome 38 thousand Miles --$1000 even if it needs Breaks Tires werel can you get something like this for that price also there was a soft spot on the floor & it has not been used or started in Years

Change all fluids (oil, coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid power steering fluid, differential oil, dump old gasoline), belts, and hoses, along with tires regardless of tread depth. On the sidewall of the tire, there should be a small date code that will show you when they were built (anything over 7 years old, don't use to keep them from having issues on the highway when hot).

For an additional $1000, you could replace all the above listed items if you do the work yourself, and have a pretty reliable unit in the end

viewon1 said:
1983 Chevy 20 ft Motorhome 38 thousand Miles --$1000 even if it needs Breaks Tires werel can you get something like this for that price also there was a soft spot on the floor & it has not been used or started in Years

How many years, personally I would start it before handing over the cash, or at least make sure it is not seized, however I don’t know the condition by this post or where it’s been sitting or for how many years, all those things make a difference. If it has been sitting in a garage in California with 38000 miles maybe I would buy it site on seen however if it’s been sitting in a field by the ocean in the north east I might want a very close look.

I own an eighty seven Chevy half ton. The odometer only counts to 99,999 and rolls over. It reads 02,897 right now. It could have 102, 897; 202, 897 or 303, 897 miles on it.

You would be very wise to disconnect the fuel line to the tank before you crank it.
(Or you can pump the carb full of varnish and add 250+ dollars to your refurb.)

Also, I would remove the plugs, spray inside the plug holes with WD40 or similar...and crank it over with fresh oil and filter till the light goes out...or the pressure gauge comes up...then crank 30 seconds more minimum, before putting the plugs back in and letting it come to life.

If the engine is a 454, it has a while to go before it is in the danger zone.

There is a reason for that soft spot. I would find it.
Sure could use more details. I have seen some similarly described that were utter junk...and others that were amazingly clean.

Latest posts