Toads

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcal

Reaction score
Will be looking for a new toad this winter. We will be taking a beating on our manual transmission Fiesta, but the car that seemed so perfect when we bought it is just too small. Plus, neither of us like having the manual transmission. It is just one more distraction on hills or in strange areas.

Our towing limit is 5000 lbs, which means that we want to keep it at 4000 lbs or (preferably) under so we use the storage space and not strain the rv in the mountains. Automatic transmission, preferably flat tow.

DH likes a small pick up with a cap and extended cab for dog. I like a mini van that we can pull the back seats out of and make custom storage (plus dog area). A larger car might do, but we absolutely don't want a deep trunk that would make storage inconvenient and get dinged up dragging lawn chairs and BBQ's in and out. Also, this time, we will be looking in the used market instead of buying new.

Any thoughts about what has worked for you? What has not worked for you?

No luck so far finding flat towable automatic minivans, but some info indicating that the Ford Ranger automatic can be flat towed if it is a 4x4. Looks like this decision is going to be made for us. Really don't want the extra expense and fuss of a dolly if we can avoid it.

It looks like small and mid size SUV's are really popular in this category, have you looked at any of them? I found this thread on another forum and they discuss quite a few different models. Seems like a lot of the models they mentioned are pretty popular, probably a decent used market, and I'd have to guess a lot are at or under your 4k desired weight.

In some places the towed vehicle has to have it's own ACTIVE brake system. I had my truck converted so that I could tow it behind my RV. When I put on the brakes in the RV, the brakes in the truck come on. There is a separate vacuum pump and air compressor that power the truck brakes.
In hindsight, I should have bought a car trailer with electric brakes. It cost about as much. The advantage to the system I have is no trailer to deal with when I get to destination. The disadvantage is it will only work with the one vehicle. There is still wear and tear on the towed vehicle. More so than would be on a trailer. One more point is you can back up with a trailer, backing up with a toad puts things into a bind real quick.

highdesertranger said:
how about a good ole Jeep.  highdesertranger

Would love a jeep. DH and I are old, but not so old we would not like a little off roading. But whatever we get has to provide secure storage for the pricey remote breaking system as well as lawn chairs and a BBQ and plant stand, etc, too. Of course, if DH decides to sll his12 yr old Helix, which is beging to need more TLC than he wants to give it, he can build a storage bin on the scooter rack and get any toad that manages to turn his head.

gcal said:
I was rooting for the minivan. I guess you can take me out of the Soccer Mom Suburbs, but you can't take the Soccer Mom Suburbs out of me. Since the minivan won't work, DH can get whatever he wants as long as it meets my basic specs. It has to be an automatic. He has been doing most of the driving for the last 3 years and I am finding that a I am loosing my driving edge. A manual transmission is an annoyance when I am already in strange territory and trying to watch the road and pay attention to the Garmin. It has to be bigger than the Fiesta. We are both big people and the Fiesta is tight. It has to have cup holders and map pockets that are convenient and a good place to mount the garmin, a secure place for the mutt where he can look out the window. Unless DH sells the Helix and frees the scooter rack up for secure storage, it has to have that storage space. AM/FM radio, heater, A/C, seats, tires, doors and a roof.

I'm not a car person. I am no more impressed by a Mercedes than I am by a Chevy. But I want the features I want.I will suggest SUV's to him. I think that might be almost as good as a minivan.

I really liked the sound of a minivan for the added storage but as soon as you mentioned it I thought the FWD wouldn't work with 4 on the ground, as it looks like you confirmed already. Bummer

EDIT** I did a quick search and someone said he is pretty sure the Honda Oddessey's 05 and prior can be towed with four down. Another said someone added a Remco pump to tow their 99 Caravan with all 4 down.
http://www.rvamerica.com/TownTalk/R...umid/1/postid/365566/scope/posts/Default.aspx

jeeps are common toads all the accessories are available. get one with a hardtop. highdesertranger

If you go the jeep route you could look for the unlimited models made between 04 and 06, they had a 10" longer wheel base so it has a bit more interior space as well. Or the newer four doors for lots of interior space but they might be closer to your max weight limit.

Walked by the computer screen while he was searching for used cars. Does anyone know if you can flat tow a Corvette?

highdesertranger said:
ha ha ha.  a red one I bet.  highdesertranger

He already had a red one. He wore it well. He had to trade it in when I bought him a surprise boat. How was I supposed to know he could not tow it with the 'Vette? 30 years later, I still haven't lived that one down.

It might be smaller than you want, but I like my 4wd tracker. (chevy, but geo is the same) Auto transmission and 4-down tow, in Oregon does not need braking system.

Don't forget to check for ground clearance on Jeeps. I was just looking at an ad for a Liberty 4X4. When I checked, the ground clearance was 6.4".

BC Guy said:
Don't forget to check for ground clearance on Jeeps.  I was just looking at an ad for a Liberty 4X4.  When I checked, the ground clearance was 6.4".

Wow. 6.4" isn't much. I think our Fiesta may be better than that.

blars said:
It might be smaller than you want, but I like my 4wd tracker.  (chevy, but geo is the same)  Auto transmission and 4-down tow, in Oregon does not need braking system.

Went to the site, but it did not seem to be a car site.