Toads

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gcal said:
 OMG! If our grandsons got their hands on that, we'd never get it back!
I guess you will have to get two.<g>  Note that power steering and air conditioning were not common but they could be added.

I once got back at an old boss.  My wife had made some no bake cookies.  

I was in my jeep with my kids, and called him over.

"Hey Arnie, try these new cookies"!

He took a bite, and asked what was new about them.

"They are Toad Stool cookies"!

"Arn't toadstools poison"?

Not if you don't feed the toad anything poisonous!

:p

BC Guy said:
I guess you will have to get two.<g>  Note that power steering and air conditioning were not common but they could be added.

Two. Yes. They boys could chase each other around the ranch they go to, but we could probably get one of the vehicles back.

BC Guy said:

There is a place in Q that usually has a bunch in the back of his lot.

BC Guy said:
Here is a link.  http://www.zukioffroad.com/index.html
The Tracker/Sidekick/Sunrunner were basically the same.

BTW, one of the kids out at the ranch has one of these - or something like it. It is known as The Suicide Death Machine. The only time any of the adults will get near it is when it is stopped dead in a muddy ditch and needs to be hauled out with a truck.

well, you can tow a Vette 4 flat, just as you can most any RWD car...after you remove the driveshaft
and HDR is right
Willys, CJs and Wranglers are Jeeps, everything else the company makes is not :D

gcal said:
Went to the site, but it did not seem to be a car site.

The only link was my blog in my signature. There is an article or two about my toad somewhere in there.

I've got the larger 4-door hardtop with AC and power steering and the larger 4-cylinder engine. (Smaller was only offered in Canada in 2003.) Ground clearence is an issue, it's not set up for off-roading like those on that site.

He is narrowing his focus to the Ford Edge. I was kind of hoping for the jeep, but the Edge is ok. He's also looking at the Escape.

Thank goodness the Corvette was all pipedream and talk. It would have blown up our insurance cost. No problem in our salad days. A definite problem, now.

gcal said:
Will be looking for a new toad this winter. We will be taking a beating on our manual transmission Fiesta, but the car that seemed so perfect when we bought it is just too small. Plus, neither of us like having the manual transmission. It is just one more distraction on hills or in strange areas.

Our towing limit is 5000 lbs, which means that we want to keep it at 4000 lbs or (preferably) under so we use the storage space and not strain the rv in the mountains. Automatic transmission, preferably flat tow.

DH likes a small pick up with a cap and extended cab for dog. I like a mini van that we can pull the back seats out of and make custom storage (plus dog area). A larger car might do, but we absolutely don't want a deep trunk that would make storage inconvenient and get dinged up dragging lawn chairs and BBQ's in and out. Also, this time, we will be looking in the used market instead of buying new.

Any thoughts about what has worked for you? What has not worked for you?

Look at the Chevrolet HHR.  They quit making them in 2011, but there are plenty of low mileage ones around.    They can be flat towed with the automatic, have tons of storage in the back, plus the added bonus of being totally flat (no deep trunk like you wanted to avoid).   They don't get fantastic mileage compared to the newer small cars, but still average over 30 mpg on the highway.

you will have more fun with a Jeep. lol. get whatever you guys want. but I still say you will have more fun in a Jeep. highdesertranger