To Stealth or Not to Stealth...that is the question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdog101101

Reaction score
I'm starting up a new job after being laid off from my regular full-time gig.&nbsp; I'm working for an IT consulting firm and will be in the Irving Texas area for about six months on a contract.&nbsp; I'm thinking of finding alternative living instead spending big $$$ on a hotel during my contract.&nbsp; (There is no stipend for food or hotel.&nbsp; I'm on my own.)<br><br>I've been interested in stealth rv for sometime.&nbsp; But I've also read that sometimes it can be better to not be in a stealth vehicle (i.e white cargo van).&nbsp; Someone mentioned that using a traditional conversion van that a family would use and parking in a residential neighborhood works good.&nbsp; He said that if your found living in a vehicle that's registered as an RV (Class B or C) that it will cause more problems.<br><br>Here are a few more details regarding my plans to consider...<br>1. I will be working 9-5, M-F, in a nice office complex.<br>2. I really only need a place to sleep.<br>3. I thought I could join the YMCA for showering<br>4. I will be driving home on weekends to be with my family.<br><br>I don't want to spend a ton of $$$ (if possible) thinking that I could resale the vehicle after the contract if I went back to a full-time regular job.<br><br>Thoughts, Comments?<br><br>

That's what I do, only difference is I found Planet Fitness is cheaper than dirt and are all over. I use a Coleman stove and cook most nights, but I work all day and eat and keep some food in my offices fridge, and make extra ice for my cooler as well. I sleep about a mile away on the same street so I look like I live there, apartment and townhouses around me. Have fun and save money!

Be careful in residential areas, the law checks some more than others. I was in Phild pa and would drive out of town to a interstate rest stop or truck stop and sleep there. then back the next am.

Scott-<br>Is your vehicle stealth or non-stealth (or somewhere in-between)

Always expect your tags to be run every time you park at night. Legal or not. <br><br>It is a good idea to go down to your local police station and have&nbsp; a quick background check done just in case that parking ticket blew off. I was coming back from the Bahamas and this happened to somebody and passport control would not release him until he paid $ 1000.<br><br>James AKA Lynx

I had a mini van. Right now, I'm couch surfing and shopping for a low mileage conversion. So it was and will be stealth, this time I'm going for full electric, sink, fridge, but keeping it very low key. The residential area I use, no one knows anybody, a lot of coming and going, I don't park until after dark and stay at work, surfing the web or cooking sometimes if everyone gone, usually by 7. When I go to my "spot" it's to sleep, sometimes I go to the gym to kill time, watch TV there, or use free WiFi sitting at McDonald's, or Panera, same if I'm cooking. The mini was dark tinted, and I had crappy curtains for some privacy, but it was mostly just a bedroom, then home (3 hrs away) Friday through Monday morning to wife. I think the thing I want now is a little more comfort and amenities, mostly because it might very well be my permanent home soon.

Latest posts