To dometic or not

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chogger

Reaction score
:huh:
I am putting my schoolie together and I am going with a 400 watt solar system. 
I cannot make a decision on which fridge to buy.
Please give me your opinion. 
I plan on boondocking and want a larger fridge but am limited on my budget. 
These fridges range from 400 to well over 1 thousand dollars. 
Thanks guys !

I Just bought 2 Costway 52 Qt fridges on amazon. The 2 of them cost 2 thirds what a Dometiic 85 qt costs. I am going to use one as a fridge the other as a freezer. Has fantastic reviews. Dometic not so much.

Also check out Whynter refrigerator/freezers on Amazon. I got a small one and have been very happy with it. All steel quality construction.

In all fairness, I do have a Dometic mid-size r/f in my 18 year old TT which still runs great. Over the years have only used it on 12vdc and 120vac; never used it on propane.

I plan on boondocking and want a larger fridge but am limited on my budget.
I've heard of people having success finding great used ones on Craigslist for around $200.

As a new guy to van life, and still in the planning stages, I'm starting to believe certain name brands, like Dometic and Nature's Head, are like Apple - great products with egotistical prices.  I'm glad I'm still in the researching phase while saving to buy a van because it's giving me plenty of time to search out cheaper alternatives that are just as reliable.  Instead of spending $1,800 on a toilet and a fridge, I can spend a fraction of that on those things and use the rest as an emergency fund, or on better solar, etc.,

My Dometic 65DZ was about $670 two years ago now it's $875. The new model is $947. Crazy. I wonder what the justification is? There's tons of new manufacturers for 12 volt fridges now. Seems to me the price would be going down due to competition, but that certainly isn't the case. I'm the type of guy that has no problem spending good money on a good product, but now that fridges are approaching $1000, I'm not willing to spend that.

There are several options out there. I have been looking for several months and just gotten to the point were the road is near. Thanks for all of your help. Think costway will be the way to go.
Schoolie paid 4 = check
Emergency fund = check
Solar ordered from Amazon = check
Fried next
Fantastic fan next
Road to Az 4 wks out
P.S. never can have a big enough emergency fund !

The Costway doesn't have a Danfoss compressor. Probably a Domus or something similar. What that means is instead of operating at up to 30 degrees out of level, it can go safely only to about 7 degrees. It also probably isn't made to handle the bumps of the road as well. Just so you know.

The new Dometic CFX line of fridges do not use the Danfoss Compressor. They use a new compressor HMMM: Made in China. Costway Uses a new style of compressor guess from where?

HalfShadows said:
The new Dometic CFX line of fridges do not use the Danfoss Compressor. They use a new compressor HMMM: Made in China. Costway Uses a new style of compressor guess from where?
I see now that Danfoss is no longer in the Dometic CFXs. But just because the compressor is from China like the Costway doesn't mean both are cheap. The CFX reliability has been good. It does bug me that Dometic doesn't say on its website which compressor they use other than stating, "...A powerful and uncompromising compressor...."

It is a typical shift of a well known company to eventually out source their traditional quality product components to save $. You are fortunate to have gain possession of an original Dometic. I was seriously interested in a New Dometic for my van build. After looking at recent reviews from people I had to say no. I wanted Fridge that had good substantial reviews. Check out the Costway reviews on Amazon. Most of the issues that were frequently reported with Dometics had nothing to do with compressor. Dometics sure look snazzy though. :D

Since the Dometic is moving toward the price of an Engel and the Dometic has a mystery compressor that has yet to prove itself, I'm starting to lean towards Engel. Unfortunately, not all Engels have a bung in the bottom for easy cleaning. I am so bummed to hear this new information, but am glad to have learned it.

I am pretty sure with Waeco / Dometic covering such a large % of the global market with many brands and OEM deals

that they make their own compressors by now, or have a "captive" supplier

I have a 52qt ARB fridge/freezer in the truck.

It has a Danfoss compressor and a bung hole for cleaning/draining.

Only had it 6 months or so, but so far, so good.

I have a 52qt ARB fridge/freezer in my cargo trailer. Very happy with it. Pricey ya, hopefully will never have to buy another. Bite the bullet and enjoy it.