Tire options for 15 inch wheels (Chevy G20)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

incomsarable

Reaction score
I found a van and it needs new tires. Badly. It's a 1995 hightop G20, stock/current size is 225/75r15. 

From my research, Standard Load light truck tires aren't good enough. Using trailer tires wouldn't be safe or have the right tread. But I can't find E or even D load range tires. The van I found was already converted with a heavier build than I would have done myself, using several 2 X 6s for the bed slats and a large 7 foot box that is built from solid 2 X 12s  :s I do not intend to load it with all my earthly possessions at this time, but it's still a lot of weight.

I have some time to look. Does anyone have any specific tire recommendations for these elusive, "basically impossible to find" heavy duty tires that I might be able to order? How do I know if my wheels can handle them even if I do find them? I don't want to skimp on my van, but are there any light truck tires that would be ok? I need appropriate treads for mud and snow. 

There are a lot of loaded up G20 campers out there. What are people using?

You might need to go up to 16" wheels. Plenty of tire options there. Sigh, another expense.

I never really understood the logic of putting 1/2 ton rims and tires on a 3/4 ton. if it was me I would look for 16 inch rims. highdesertranger

I put the Falken Wildpeak AT3W 235/75R15 on my 94 G20 and after 10K miles I am very happy with them.
They are rated for. half ton trucks with 6 ply tread.

I have not Weighed my build out plus a fully loaded rig but I am probably less than 1.2K lbs with water and fuel.

They rub a bit on the left front rubber splash guard when in hard right turn but it is not a problem.

Thanks all.

I read your review from a year ago PECVD2, nice to hear they're

But ugh. I suspected 16 inch wheels. I won't lie, I'm very tempted to go cheap now, mainly because I'll be doing mostly paved roads in a suburban environment for the next year.

Thanks for the replies :) 16 inch tire upgrade was my fear.

Thanks for the update PECDV2. I saw your thread from a year ago, nice to hear that they're still treating you well after 10K miles. However, why do you think they rub? Are they the stock size? while I was searching, I looked at one van with tires that rubbed because the owner got bigger wheels, and if you're having this problem with 15 inch it makes me wonder if I should go up. I really don't want thin tires or to spend extra $$ if I don't have to.

Also, now I want to find a way to weigh my van...

they rub because they are the wrong size and/or the front end has issues. you don't have to stick to a factory size but what ever you choose they must fit correctly. if they rub at any time they don't fit correctly or you have warn out front end components. others might blow it off like it's no big deal but we cannot condone it. highdesertranger

incomsarable said:
“why do you think they rub? Are they the stock size? “

stock size is per plate on door 225/75/R15 at 28.3” in diameter

the 235/75/R15 which I have are 28.9” in diameter

a 225/75 /R16 is 29.3” in diameter so larger diameter than the 235/75/R15 and increased cost for tires and wheels. “

So I checked my owner's manual and it said to never go over 85 mph if you have 16 inch wheels, even if it is legal  :huh: Is this because the speedometer would be off? It's the only reason I can think of, but I'm by no means a mechanic.

Also, I weighed my van and a scrap yard today. Total weight 5,445 pounds. Weight with just the back tires on the scale was 2760. My GVWR is 6600, GAWR for rear is 3406.

I have no idea how GVWR/GAWR relates to tire load, but...  I will admit that I am tempted to go with the best 15 inch tires I can afford. G20s have been rolling around in them for decades and right now I have 1155 pounds to go before I hit my max weight and I'm just vacationing with the van at this time. I also don't want to deal with my speedometer/odometer being inaccurate.

What is the worst case scenario for the smaller/lighter rated tires? A blowout? Or vehicle damage (if so, what kind)?

lots of stuff in one post,

"it said to never go over 85 mph if you have 16 inch wheels"

what?????? I have never heard of such a thing.

"Is this because the speedometer would be off?"

the diameter of the wheel has absolutely nothing to do with the accuracy of the speedometer. the diameter of the tire does.

your tires have a weight rating, do not exceed that number.

if you are going to full time that 1155 is going to go fast. remember to add your weight and a full tank of gas and water to that weight you got. plus anything else you are planning on.

"What is the worst case scenario for the smaller/lighter rated tires? A blowout? Or vehicle damage (if so, what kind)?"

uh death. well you asked for worst case.

also if you plan on driving off road this adds tremendously to the stress of your tires. you don't want to be anywhere close to GVWR.

highdesertranger

Old post but since there's still a lot of peeps buying G20's, if you don't spring for 16" wheels then ask the tire shop for P XL (extra load). Here's a Firestone example:

PRIMEWELL VALERA A/T
P235/75R15 XL
Primewell Valera A/T
$90.99 ea.
$363.96 for 4 tires, taxes and fees not included
50k Mileage Warranty
All-Season Tires

Otherwise the conversion to 16's, while not simple, may be the only answer.

Have done tires for 30+yrs.look for used ones if you have a budget.they are out there just gotta look.my 2 cents.

I prefer buying tires and wheels online since they are usually on sale. I got my Cooper Discoverer from 4wheelonline last year.