Tips for Cutting Your Own Hair?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using CombPal for the last year.

It's not very easy for me to get the back of my head with it, so spouse will start doing that part.
It does a good job of getting the right length and I can do a better job than the pros have done.
I used to have long hair and that was easy, until my scalp got too sensitive for the weight.

I used to spend $140-$190 on cut and color and got fed up with wasting that kind of money on my hair.  I stopped going to "salons" about a year ago and now I don't do much with my hair but let grow and once a month or so I cut my own bangs, but I'm thinking of letting them grow out now too.  I wear my hair in a ponytail a lot so it looks nice and neat.  But I also have a "long mohawk" which means I shave my sides (myself) and when I put my hair up in a scrunchie it looks fun and funky but when I wear it down you can't even tell.  One of these days I'm going to shave it just to shave it.......why can't I shave my head just because I'm a girl?  hahahaha

I've also considered growing out my long hawk into dreads, like this picture.  I love it and easy maintenance.  hahaha

Attachments

• 8bc04277867241320deb01b4c969f2ae.jpg
    8bc04277867241320deb01b4c969f2ae.jpg
    36.3 KB
I must say Cheli, the pic is certainly badass. I say go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nothing personal, but all of the women around here (W.WA) who have dreadlocks look like meth tweekers.

Did some one say 'badass'?
th

I've tried growing out my hair several times (though in the 70's it was long enough for a ponytail) and I can never get past the in-between period when it becomes a crazy bush and I end up cutting it again. For a while there I used to shave it to 1/4 inch and went bald for a while too (way too much work if you're not naturally that way). A very timely question for me as I'm wondering what direction to go, myself.

VanLifeCrisis said:
I posted somewhere here that i just clip mine with clippers and attachment.  For the back, i put a knit hat (toque) on and use the edge as a guide.  I also took string and made a loop that went around my head and rested on my upper lip, and cut along it in the back.  I would cut completely, move up line, then add a comb for a smoother transition.  Hand held mirrors help too.

A strip of masking tape does the trick too

bvanevery said:
I don't believe in shampooing.  I spent years with frizzy hair until I finally realized the shampoos were all bull-oney, they were what was making my hair frizzy.  I allowed the natural oils of my scalp to weigh down my hair and everything has been fine since.  I won't use shampoo even if I have access to a proper shower in civilization.  I rinse with water every once in a blue moon and looking in the mirror day by day, I'm not seeing any problem.  My hair is short and I am balding on top, but I'm not crew cut short by any means.  Just a few inches.

We've had decades of corporate brainwashing about "the greasies" to get us to buy shampoo.  Maybe it really is a problem for some people but I sure doubt it is for most.

Here's a video about a woman who never washes her hair

Wild animals never wash their hair beyond getting caught in the rain and their coats are pretty sleek - that's something to think about

Hadn't even thought of this issue.
I learned from my dad how to cut men's hair...and ended up with his old clippers (which reminds me I haven't found them in the sorting through stuff to give away yet)... I cut my son's hair their whole prepuberty life and also did some military cuts, buzz cuts and the like. Once you get the hang of the clippers it's easy! Use guides for length. If you come the hair UP and slice off the top evenly against the comb it will fall back down and feather out (if you can cut the same amount off each move/clip --like 1/4 inch etc).... and just shaving the neck or around the ears makes it looks like a planned cut too hahaha

The pics the other member shows works for long hair on women and men!

I cut my Poodle's hair most of the time...taking him to the groomer only every so often ... wanting to make it less than 4 times a year though as it can be $100 each time! (fainting).

I think the main thing is keep after your hair... when it begins to fray/split ends and fly away it needs that part cut off imo.

As for shampoos, yeah too many chemicals! I think being OTR will allow me to catch rain water still... a wonderful change from even the filtered water at a house.. my dad always caught rain water to wash his head! (Might be the Cherokee part?)

IanC said:
Here's a video about a woman who never washes her hair

Wild animals never wash their hair beyond getting caught in the rain and their coats are pretty sleek - that's something to think about

I used to wash my hair with shampoo every day, if I didn't I felt dirty.  But my hair always looked damaged and frizzy unless I then used all sorts of styling products when drying it and styling it.  If  I didn't have the time to do all that I ended up just putting it up in a ponytail.

Recently (like in the last year) I decided to finally listen to my friends and hairdresser and stopped washing it daily, I to only shampoo every other day.  And even more recently in the last couple of months, I now only use shampoo once maybe twice a week.  But I do wet it down every time I shower, I really rinse it out with the hot water and that's it.  My hair feels better and looks healthier.

We really do get consumed with societies "norm" and get hung up on being made to feel dirty if you don't wash daily.  But I'm sick of putting a gazillion chemicals on my body every day so definitely going to a simpler and healthier lifestyle.

All that washing stuff is Victorian BS when your diet is natural and you are able to smell yourself you are also able to alter your body odor. One of the main reasons my x is distanced away is her transition was soo tough her sense of smell so intense it drove me out of the bedroom ( a blessing in disguise like sleeping in a rr station) Menopause is no joke. You go girl! I love you

mockturtle said:
Bob, I agree.  Longer hair is much easier to manage than short.  Maybe not as comfortable but more economical and versatile.

I have no problems with men having long hair, and ponytails, as long as they are clean.
I think clean is good, looks better and no matte what your clothes are, as long as they are all clean.
I know keeping clean while RVing  is a bit hard, but Bob, I have seen you on YouTube, and you never look dirty.
You don't have to shower every day to be looking like you do.

Time to get this thread back on track folks!

It's not about cleanliness, it's about tips for cutting your own hair.

If you have any, let's hear them.

arctic cat said:
I'm pretty lucky that right after I got in the Army I started cutting other people hairs, and then I was brave enough to cut my own by using mirrors.  Now and 32 years later I can actually take some clipper and cut my own hair and taper it in about 7 to 10 minutes without using any mirrors, by just feeling my head, I do so every 2 to 3 weeks.  What ever you do used a good set of clipper and keep them well oil.  Spare parts are readily available online.
I do the same thing with clippers and don't have to use a mirror, I use the red attachment which is about a quarter inch. I clean my scalp with warm water on a washcloth and a few squirts of hand sanitizer. The hand sanitizer removes the scalp oil and dirt, the small amount of hair left on my head after buzzing it, is soft and shiny. A couple of years ago I let my hair grow out a couple of inches and then buzzed it off.. it wasn't worth the effort to maintain it. You would be surprised how handy hand sanitizer is to maintain cleanliness. A few squirts on a damp washcloth does wonders.

yup, those buzz cuts are the easiest by far to maintain, discovered that by accident after buzzing mine to avoid 'helmet head' when i ride my bike

At one time these things were quite common,  but I haven't seen these mentioned here.   It's a thick plastic double sided comb with a double edged razor blades embedded in the center.  They can be taken apart to change blades when necessary.   They are inexpensive and require no batteries.

91j8ZPFdwcL._SY550_.jpg

Amazon sells one like I'm speaking of.  

https://www.amazon.com/Trimmer-Blades-Trimming-Sideburns-Grooming/dp/B0067M9WAE

I've used one of those, they don't work well for my wavy hair, giving me that buzz cut + tails look
But, I never tried using it 'backward' either, cutting against the grain, they might work better

As far as haircuts go..... I've been a hairstylist for 26+ years. I'll happily cut anyone's hair for VERY reduced rates, or trade. Men or women....all I ask is that it's clean when you come see me. Dirty hair can dull the blades of my clippers, or shears. I'm very good at what I do. ;)

Poopiehead71 said:
As far as haircuts go..... I've been a hairstylist for 26+ years. I'll happily cut anyone's hair for VERY reduced rates, or trade. Men or women....all I ask is that it's clean when you come see me. Dirty hair can dull the blades of my clippers, or shears. I'm very good at what I do. ;)

Um.... poopiehead doesn't seem like the best name for a hair stylist.. [emoji15]. But, if I ever cross paths with you I'll buy the cut anyway. Do you do dyes too? I like to wash the gray right out of my hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cammalu said:
Um....  poopiehead doesn't seem like the best name for a hair stylist..  [emoji15].  But, if I ever cross paths with you I'll buy the cut anyway. Do you do dyes too?  I like to wash the gray right out of my hair.  
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. Poopiehead. Lol. Got that compliments of my children some years back. It just stuck.
Yes, I color too. I don't have as much access to the products I'd need out here, but I'll happily do it!

Latest posts