Tips for Cutting Your Own Hair?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastTense

Reaction score
I was reading Van-Tramps post on his 2013 expenditures and noticed he spent $157 on haircuts.
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=5892

While I have zero costs for haircuts (I cut my own hair), the results leave something (or maybe even a great deal) to be desired. So perhaps those of you who cut your own hair could give some tips as to how you get nice results.

Get your partner to cut it for you, that is what I do, however it is still hit and miss, thankfully I have plan b, I own a buzzer and if it turns out unbearable I just buzz it off clean and in three weeks it looks great again.

Any one else had any experience with a Flo-Be, hair cutting outfit that uses a vacuum cleaner ?
My 1 time use, it tangled and pulled and got stuck in my hair, very bad experience. Could have done better with a dull hatchet. Duane

Since Cathy passed, there isn't anyone that I'm comfortable allowing them to touch me, so no one cuts my hair but me. I have a spacer for a set of dog grooming clippers and used to just cut everything to that length. About 1/2 inch and just guess about cleaning up the back of my neck, Now, I'm wanting to just let it grow.

As soon as I retired I stopped cutting mine. Eventually it got long enough to put into a pony tail and with it pulled back that way it doesn't look like you have long hair at all, it's neat and tight against your scalp. Once it's all into the pony tail it's easy to cut to the length you want to keep it at that length. You just grab it and cut it yourself or anybody can do that for you and not mess it up.

Unless you just hate the look of a pony tail it is by far the EASIEST way to take care of your hair.
Bob

signman said:
Any one else had any experience with a Flo-Be, hair cutting outfit that uses a vacuum cleaner ?

Duane,
I tried a Flo-Be for a while. It worked OK, but took forever with my thick hair. So, I sold it to a friend who just loves it for the men in her family.
Now, I use a rechargeable razor that leaves about 1.5" of length (Philips Norelco Do-It-Yourself Hair Clipper). I let my hair grow during the fall/winter for warmth. But, I do use thinning shears to take some of the weight off, especially the top. And, I trim my bangs.
I have been known to go to Great Clips (or some other inexpensive place) to get it professionally shaped up when it's longer.
I'm about ready to head south and will be bringing my rechargeable razor with me in case I want to go shorter as the weather gets warmer.

Suanne ... whose hair is almost long enough for a pony tail :)

akrvbob said:
Unless you just hate the look of a pony tail it is by far the EASIEST way to take care of your hair.
Bob

I have a ponytail as well. Very easy to maintain, can still look sharp if I throw on a suit.

I can go several months between cuts, and then I can just go to an inexpensive barber to cut it back and clean up the neckline

Boo Hoo Hoo I have no one to cut/badly cut my hair. Is there any one out there????trade hair cuts?? I am pretty good.

akrvbob said:
As soon as I retired I stopped cutting mine. Eventually it got long enough to put into a pony tail and with it pulled back that way it doesn't look like you have long hair at all, it's neat and tight against your scalp. Once it's all into the pony tail it's easy to cut to the length you want to keep it at that length. You just grab it and cut it yourself or anybody can do that for you and not mess it up.

Bob

Bob, I agree. Longer hair is much easier to manage than short. Maybe not as comfortable but more economical and versatile.

I've cut my own hair for over 20 years, I have longish hair usually and I usually wear it up so if it isn't perfect it won't matter. I found a technique called Feye's Self Trimming instructions and it's just the same as I've been doing! Here's the link http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/ Scroll down to see how to get a straight hemline, V or U shaped.

I've had short hair once in my adult life and it was so annoying to get my hair cut and needing another cut a few weeks later, and dealing with growing out awkwardness was a drag too. Long hair is much easier.

I posted somewhere here that i just clip mine with clippers and attachment. For the back, i put a knit hat (toque) on and use the edge as a guide. I also took string and made a loop that went around my head and rested on my upper lip, and cut along it in the back. I would cut completely, move up line, then add a comb for a smoother transition. Hand held mirrors help too.

I used to keep mine a little long in my younger days. The first time I had it cut, it scared my two boys so bad they started crying. But, even as an iron worker (normaly a job where all they want is a warm body and two capable hands) it made a difference what I looked like to get the foreman jobs I wanted so I SOLD OUT. Now days, I think it will be easier after its longer and won't have to bother trying to find someone I'm not too uncomfortable with to get a hair cut, and I don't have to whack it all off anymore. No more selling my soul to get something I want.

I buzz cut my own hair with electric clippers. Just keep it 1/4 to 1/2 inch long. Easy to wash. No need for comb. I cut with a no. 2 guide every 4 weeks. I have a battery hair clipper I got off amazon that uses AA batteries. If I wasn't losing my hair I'd let it grow out.

vagary. That's what I have done for god knows how long. Although I have a rather expensive hair cutter that we bought when we were raising poodles. But I really don't like being short haired. Even though I getting a little thin on top, I will let mine grow out anyway. I definitely won't shave for the bald look. I tried shaving my mustache once and didn't leave the house except for had to things for over two weeks and it would take longer for my hair to come back.

I've learned to cut my hair with a BIC disposable razer. It's passable, not great. I think with practice I'll get better. The advantage of the razer is you can cut a small amount of hair at once, then sort of "back off" and see if you did ok. You can also "slash scrape" an area, which might have more of a feathering effect if done right. I just use my car's rearview mirror. Thinking of adding nasal safety scissors to my repertoirem, the kind that are small with rounded points. Again the idea is to cut very little hair at a time. Your mistakes will sort of fluff out and become ok in time, so again that argues for trimming a little bit at a time, rather than cutting a whole lot and making it obvious that you butchered yourself.

I'm getting bald on top. I have the kind of hair that grows sideways over time, like Bozo the Clown. :)

I don't worry about the back very much. I sort of guesstimate it, based on how it looks in the rearview mirror when my turn my head as far to one side as I can and still see things. It's probably enough.

I had long hair. On the road too hard to stay clean. Now I use conair clippers with short or next longer guard between 1/2 inch and a little longer. Just keep going over my head from all directions till no hair gets cut. if i let it go too long it take 30 minutes or a bit. If I cut it often just needs a few minutes. so much easier to wash with a flooded basin then when hair was long flowing locks.

Ilyana: the link

Me: wish I could have long hair and do that. However, I have a small face, dark hair, a head full of cowlicks and dark areas under my eyes. I look old and evil in long hair. I'd look good bald, but can't pull that off because I am female. So, I am stuck with professional cuts every few weeks, the shorter, the better. Short hair is not as forgiving as long hair when a cut is not good. Even going to professionals, it can take a new hairdresser a few months to get used to working with all the cowlicks. I may get a wig on the road.

ccbreder said:
so much easier to wash with a flooded basin then when hair was long flowing locks.

I don't believe in shampooing. I spent years with frizzy hair until I finally realized the shampoos were all bull-oney, they were what was making my hair frizzy. I allowed the natural oils of my scalp to weigh down my hair and everything has been fine since. I won't use shampoo even if I have access to a proper shower in civilization. I rinse with water every once in a blue moon and looking in the mirror day by day, I'm not seeing any problem. My hair is short and I am balding on top, but I'm not crew cut short by any means. Just a few inches.

We've had decades of corporate brainwashing about "the greasies" to get us to buy shampoo. Maybe it really is a problem for some people but I sure doubt it is for most.

PastTense said:
I was reading Van-Tramps post on his 2013 expenditures and noticed he spent $157 on haircuts.
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=5892

While I have zero costs for haircuts (I cut my own hair), the results leave something (or maybe even a great deal) to be desired. So perhaps those of you who cut your own hair could give some tips as to how you get nice results.

I use one of these kits: http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/wahl-performer-20-piece-home-cut-kit/6000051734999 pretty easy after a few tries. For the back of my neck i used to use two mirrors to see and would place my hand straight across as a guide for the clipper blades. Takes me about 10 minutes but since the hair gets down my shirt I have a shower and change of clothes afterwards. 

Can get them rechargable too http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/wahl-complete-hair-cutting-kit/6000142540795