Timing Belts and Timing Chains ..Know before you buy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van Vliet

Reaction score
In my short time here on the CRVL forums, I've seen no mention of timing belts or timing chains and thought that I'd put a little bit of info out there for others to consider. In my search for vehicles (currently looking at mini-vans) ..I always make a point to to steer clear of vehicles that use timing belts as opposed to timing chains because timing chains generally never need to be replaced whereas timing belts need to be changed out every 60 to 80k miles (and the job is never cheap) ..In my years of finding vehicles for myself or others, I've noticed that a lot of people tend to trade in or put their timing-belted vehicles up for sale right about the same time that a belt replacement is due. Dealers don't usually replace timing belts prior to resale and they're in no hurry to let this be known so if you're looking for a vehicle it's always good to ask if the belt has been replaced and how long ago the service was completed. Having said that much, I'll leave it up to you to google 'timing belt vs. timing chain'  to further broaden your knowledge on what I consider to be one of the more important things to consider when making a purchase. For the record, I've settled on seeking out a Kia Sedona due to the fact that Kia used timing chains for every year of production. It's really easy to find out if your vehicle has a chain or belt by simply searching the name of your vehicle along with 'timing belt or timing chain?'. Anyway, I just thought I'd throw that out there. Good luck!

Timing belts are no bueno. If you have timing belts, change them when you have to! They will break and destroy your engine!!! Timing chains are much better. Chains do stretch, and the tensioners could fail. Chains rarely need replacement, but annual checkups don't hurt. I had a Jeep with the famous 4.0L engine and the timing chain guide broke off and very bad things happened inside the head. Now I only buy vehicles with timing gears. They are good way past the life of the vehicle...

I was once told that it is much cheaper to replace the belt on schedule than it is to have your car towed to a shop to rebuild the engine.  It made sense to me at the time.
MG

I agree timing belts are YUK. But IMO front wheel drive vehicles are use once and throw away, In other words disposable. Highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I agree timing belts are YUK.  But IMO front wheel drive vehicles are use once and throw away,  In other words disposable.  Highdesertranger

PlethoraOfGuns said:
Timing belts are no bueno. If you have timing belts, change them when you have to! They will break and destroy your engine!!! Timing chains are much better. Chains do stretch, and the tensioners could fail. Chains rarely need replacement, but annual checkups don't hurt. I had a Jeep with the famous 4.0L engine and the timing chain guide broke off and very bad things happened inside the head. Now I only buy vehicles with timing gears. They are good way past the life of the vehicle...

This only applies to Interference engines.

If you have a non interference engine, it makes no difference if the belt breaks.  You won't damage anything.

It's one of the reasons  I :heart: older cars.

Also, I have never paid to have a timing belt replaced.   They are not that hard to do so and I've gone well over 100K miles with no problem.
Buy the best timing belt you can get and stop worrying.

Timing belt replacement isn't necessarily a difficult job, just a time consuming one. Parts can be about $25-50 to get it done. Some engines you'll need to remove the water pump to complete job. Might as well replace that and some other components while your elbows deep in the thing. Take it to a mechanic or oh no, the dealer, it could run you $500-1000 to get it done. Again, it's pretty much all labor. Still cheaper than replacing an engine. And there is no "if" with timing belts, it's "when" the timing belt breaks.

Yes, on non interface engines you won't have piston and valve contact. I'm not sure which engines are interfaced like that. But say the belt or chain is going and the timing is messed up and you keep driving it, you can cook some components. Older, rear wheel drive vehicles, yes!

Van Vliet said:
In my short time here on the CRVL forums, I've seen no mention of timing belts or timing chains and thought that I'd put a little bit of info out there for others to consider. In my search for vehicles (currently looking at mini-vans) ..I always make a point to to steer clear of vehicles that use timing belts as opposed to timing chains because timing chains generally never need to be replaced whereas timing belts need to be changed out every 60 to 80k miles (and the job is never cheap) ..In my years of finding vehicles for myself or others, I've noticed that a lot of people tend to trade in or put their timing-belted vehicles up for sale right about the same time that a belt replacement is due. Dealers don't usually replace timing belts prior to resale and they're in no hurry to let this be known so if you're looking for a vehicle it's always good to ask if the belt has been replaced and how long ago the service was completed. Having said that much, I'll leave it up to you to google 'timing belt vs. timing chain'  to further broaden your knowledge on what I consider to be one of the more important things to consider when making a purchase. For the record, I've settled on seeking out a Kia Sedona due to the fact that Kia used timing chains for every year of production. It's really easy to find out if your vehicle has a chain or belt by simply searching the name of your vehicle along with 'timing belt or timing chain?'. Anyway, I just thought I'd throw that out there. Good luck!

PlethoraOfGuns said:
Timing belt replacement isn't necessarily a difficult job, just a time consuming one. Parts can be about $25-50 to get it done. Some engines you'll need to remove the water pump to complete job. Might as well replace that and some other components while your elbows deep in the thing. Take it to a mechanic or oh no, the dealer, it could run you $500-1000 to get it done. Again, it's pretty much all labor. Still cheaper than replacing an engine. And there is no "if" with timing belts, it's "when" the timing belt breaks.

Yes, on non interface engines you won't have piston and valve contact. I'm not sure which engines are interfaced like that. But say the belt or chain is going and the timing is messed up and you keep driving it, you can cook some components. Older, rear wheel drive vehicles, yes!

You cannot keep driving it with a broken belt.

If the timing belts breaks, and you have a non interference engine, nothing else will break, the car will just stop running.
I carry a spare Goodyear or Gates timing belt with me (and the tools to replace it) routinely on long road trips if I have over 60,000 miles on a belt.

Even older front wheel drive.   But some of the older rear wheel drive cars are a blast :p

its not too big a job and they usually change out water pump while they are at it. i've paid maybe $5-600 in the past but certainly wouldnt rule out an otherwise good vehicle because it uses belts. prevention is the name of the game anyway...