Time to paint the exterior ..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clan, so sorry to hear.. My prayers are with you both and your family...

Hmm ... does anyone have a suggestion how many gallons of paint I should buy for everything below the windows, and also everything above the windows ?

I was thinking two gallons for the roof and windows area, and two or three for below the windows.

Clan, your estimate sounds pretty close, if the paint is a stock color, and not custom mixed, you should be able to return any unopened cans. I think I would start with 3 gallons and be sure the store had more in stock. A little Penetrol will do wonders to help it flow as you do the brush painting part especially.

Good luck, Its not really all that hard to do. Duane

Also Important, You want to add the penetrol to the paint you can use soon, you don't want to add to the whole gallon if you cant use the whole gallon that day. It can make your paint gel up a little.

I used XO rust. I think it was a chain hardware store brand, like True-Value. I used brushes and also rattle cans. I remember it as better paint than Rustolium. We also used the brush to paint fire hydrants. Wire brush loose paint and dirt, then paint. If you knock down the loose paint on the bus, XO will cover and look good. Not showroom paint job, but very acceptable. you can touch up once a year if needed. Unless you want to do auto shop preparation, just use the XO right from the can and don't over think the process. It will be good!

Hello again ... I need help please. I have a tough choice to make. I wanted to paint my bus before we leave for parts West. I have only ONE set of days I could do this even ... That would be the upcoming 13th through 16th. Those days will only have a high of 65 degrees though .... and it sill not likely get any warmer while we are here.

The other option is to wait and paint the bus when we get to Southern Cali ....... BUT,

But the bus looks like this : and I am not sure if we would be able to make it, without being hassled and pulled over a lot !~

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Time-to-paint-the-exterior

Please advise if you can ...

Trying to get paint to cure in cool temps, no thanks.

I rolled on some rustoleum yacht enamel but the directions were to wait 24 hours between coats, and I needed 3, and looking at it now, some needed 4.

I just did small sections when the weather allowed, like one cargo door then the next, then the front quarter panel.

My van has 1/10 the surface area to paint, and it was an overwhelming task to finish in one day, which led to improper surface prep, and putting on too many layers too quickly, and it never seems to cure, and smells like paint for months, and starts bubbling and peeling in little time, and is twice the effort for thenext attempt.

I'm no pro, mines a 25 foot paint job, and needs touching up. But I can wax it, the water beads off, and sheds dirt to a small degree, and looks ok, from 25 feet away

SternWake said:
Trying to get paint to cure in cool temps, no thanks.

I rolled on some rustoleum yacht enamel but the directions were to wait 24 hours between coats, and I needed 3, and looking at it now, some needed 4.

I just did small sections when the weather allowed, like one cargo door then the next, then the front quarter panel.

My van has 1/10 the surface area to paint, and it was an overwhelming task to finish in one day, which led to improper surface prep, and putting on too many layers too quickly, and it never seems to cure, and smells like paint for months, and starts bubbling and peeling in little time, and is twice the effort for thenext attempt.

I'm no pro, mines a 25 foot paint job, and needs touching up. But I can wax it, the water beads off, and sheds dirt to a small degree, and looks ok, from 25 feet away

So mixing it with a paint hardener/dryer will not overcome the temps ? Thanks

Clan,
I feel your pain. Ever since I bought my bus it has been to cold to paint so I've just been working on the inside.
Mine looked like this when I drove it 900 miles in December. Not one hassle. Maybe a few weird looks but no hassles. I had some young teen age girl working at a station ask me why I was driving a pink bus :-/???
Other than that; no worries:cool:
For some reason I can't add a picture. Oh well!!!!

Clan Graham said:
Hello again ... I need help please. I have a tough choice to make. I wanted to paint my bus before we leave for parts West. I have only ONE set of days I could do this even ... That would be the upcoming 13th through 16th. Those days will only have a high of 65 degrees though .... and it sill not likely get any warmer while we are here.

The other option is to wait and paint the bus when we get to Southern Cali ....... BUT,

But the bus looks like this : and I am not sure if we would be able to make it, without being hassled and pulled over a lot !~

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Time-to-paint-the-exterior

Please advise if you can ...

Clan Graham said:
So mixing it with a paint hardener/dryer will not overcome the temps ? Thanks

I do not have the expertise to advise on this point. My intentions in posting in this thread were to indicate the consequences of applying paint in too cool a temp, and not following the manufacturer's instructions as to minimum temperature, humidity, and recoat times.

When I did finally follow them, as best as possible, I achieved an acceptable (to me) result. When hoping for the best yet not following the instructions, and seeing a solid layer of paint ( too thick) being applied, the amount of work, later required to achieve a half buttocked result, was increased, by a significant factor.

Easier to do it right, the first time. If you can't do it correctly, right now, perhaps some judicious use of some rattlecan in some direct sunlight can make you comfortable enough to travel where you want to travel, where conditions might allow you to achieve the results you expect now.

If confronted in route, your personal appearance and attitude will impress and influence any confronters, more so than the multi hued paint job.

Good greif!!

Forget the paintjob!!

But make darn sure that the rest of the bus is in good mechanical working order...EVERYTHING! and that's whats important anyways...not what the paint looks like. LEO's watch for safety issues, and things that look like they're not maintained...not how they're painted. (unless you've got something nasty written on the side!!) :p

and if you're worried about being pulled over, then I'd make it a rule to use your 'meds' OUTSIDE the bus! If the cops smell that, then that's where you're gonna get hassled, and searched.

LOL ... Ok then. I will wait to paint until I get to Cali. I just figured an old half painted school bus which is peeling and half painted mess, would get pulled over a lot. As far as meds .... only in the evenings. Never while driving.

Clan Graham said:
I just figured an old half painted school bus which is peeling and half painted mess, would get pulled over a lot.

OK...well then pressure wash that junk offa there. (have yer kid do it!!)
Rent a machine for half a day and blast it off...just not down to bare metal.

It would sure look better, and would clean the bus up too!!

Patrick,
Just curious. Do you think a commercial pressure washer will take that white paint off? Not much experience with them myself.
Patrick46 said:
OK...well then pressure wash that junk offa there. (have yer kid do it!!)
Rent a machine for half a day and blast it off...just not down to bare metal.

It would sure look better, and would clean the bus up too!!

My experience with pressure washers is they will remove lose paint and rust and may remove some of the white paint. Most likely will not hurt the automotive paint. In a ideal world, Clan would have access to a sand blaster.

a sand blaster will take all the paint off down to the bare metal, and we don't want that. B'sides, sandblasting will heat up the metal and can make it warp, which is bad!! :(

Yeah, that stuff looks like crap paint over an uncleaned and improperly prepared surface, so I think it'll likely pressure wash off with relative ease.

If you find spots that are stubborn and don't wanna come off, then leave 'em on there, but I doubt this will give you much issue.

If you get in a pinch and the tough spots are getting to you, head to the Dollar Store and get some of their oven cleaner. It works like paint remover!!! Just wear gloves please and hopefully some wind :)

Patrick. It depends on the hand of the sandblaster and the medium used. iili

As an experienced sandblaster, The prep involved before and after and not being experienced with the process is a recipe for disaster. You can create way more work for yourself. You must mask all areas not to be blasted, you must get all the sand out of everywhere after blasting, you must prime all areas blasted to the metal, you cant stop before you hit base metal. The chance of warping panels with little experience is very real, like its going to happen. Duane

Malibusurfer said:
If you get in a pinch and the tough spots are getting to you, head to the Dollar Store and get some of their oven cleaner. It works like paint remover!!! Just wear gloves please and hopefully some wind :)

Man, I have been soooooooooo tempted to use oven cleaner. But I am afraid it would also remove or compromise the original yellow paint below the white spray crap. I tried a COMPLETELY USELESS $8 can of Grafitti Remover from Home Depot ..... useless !!!

Did you try a $30 electric hand sander? Then roll or brush your XO Rust.

Latest posts