Time for a Van Heater

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axel

Reaction score
Just got this in the mail. It's a Dickinson Marine Newport sailboat heater. Burns coal, peat, charcoal, presto logs, and wood. Not sure why the picture is sideways, it's straight on my computer.) My van will really be a "cabin on wheels" after this is installed.

image0 5.jpeg

Attachments

• image0 5.jpeg
    image0 5.jpeg
    793.1 KB · Views: 20
Make sure you build in a protective shield/distancing from any flammable objects, also consider your ventilation requirements. Looks neat, let us know how it works out for you.

I take it you are not in a burn ban area(western US) or never plan on being there? highdesertranger

I'd like to know more about these burn ban areas. I live(d) in an area where burning is banned most of the summer. But during winter, burning is not a problem.. which is when the heater would most likely be used. We have wood stoves in most of the homes.

I'd also like to know about the stove pipe. How do you plan to install that? My daughter had a similar little woodstove in her skoolie, but I'm not sure how this would work in a van. Are you putting it out the roof or a window? I'd like to see a picture of that.

the BLM, Forest Service, and Cal-Fire all have info on the burn bans. your local community fire department should also have the info. where I am right now(central Nevada) it is 32° and there is a burn ban. the bans are lifted when there has been enough rain. highdesertranger

travelaround said:
I'd also like to know about the stove pipe. How do you plan to install that? 
One of my favorite youtubers did a video on how all of the fittings work together on a stove pipe in a cargo  camper. Look up "Gonagain"   https://www.youtube.com/c/Gonagain/search?query=stove pipe Rick shows in detail how he vented his stove/heater in his 6x10 cargo trailer.  I also enjoy "SlimPotatohead" checkout his trip to the artic circle via the Dempster Highway, very entertaining.

I've been using wood stoves for many, many years, and have installed one in my house. The heater comes with detailed instructions on how to install it in a boat which translates well to a van, but I always take it a step further in terms of safety. Nothing magic about it.

I'll likely burn charcoal briquettes 90% of the time, so it shouldn't produce much smoke or odor. I don't think burn bans are an issue when it gets cold, and the USFS/BLM burn bans are for open flames such as a campfire - not an enclosed flame in a heater. If that were the case, then nobody could run their propane heaters.

highdesertranger said:
I take it you are not in a burn ban area(western US) or never plan on being there?  highdesertranger
I don't believe it is an issue for use in a burn ban areas as it is a wood stove that is being used inside a cabin. It is not an open flame being used outside. I is designed for use on boats and is used on both wood and fiberglass boats. It has spark arrest features on the chimney fitting as obviously no one wants to catch their boat on fire and you can't use a tall chimney on a boat.

But of course you can always double check such things with the governing authorities for the lands you intend to camp on.

Axel said:
............... USFS/BLM burn bans are for open flames such as a campfire - not an enclosed flame in a heater. If that were the case, then nobody could run their propane heaters.

You've got more reading to do.........................Propane is allowed BECAUSE it has an OFF knob

Who "Certifies" an installation in a vehicle ?

Same people who certify installation in a boat. Geez... have a little faith! 

Managing risk has always been a part of my life. Was a jet mechanic for 21 years, a pilot, been riding motorcycles for more than 40 years, and in my last career (hydrogeologist), oversaw multimillion dollar well drilling/construction projects. I'm certainly not some clueless kid that's still wet behind the ears!

I'm not sure why some are so afraid of solid fuel heaters. Humans have been using them for centuries!

In my experience Nervous Nellie's have never accomplished anything in their dull sad lives.

I camped in two New Mexico National Forests in the last month and campfires were blazing - including camp hosts. Maybe you got hold of some old info there, or maybe people were simply evaluating the conditions and using common sense.

Anyway, I don't see a problem.  :D

That article is from April - old news.

You missed the point.........WOOD STOVES are INCLUDED as BANNED in any Stage Fire Ban

You were in a Campground w/camp host.....Stage 1 Fire Restrictions Exception......campfires allowed......

The New Mexico ban was lifted OCT 4, 2020

See, it's not a problem. We'll be in in Santa Fe NF this weekend - can't wait!

Probably wouldn't have been a problem anyway unless some troublemaker manufactured an issue about it.

Don't forget to check on your 'biomass fuel tax credit'.....$300 off of your federal taxes if you bought and installed a certified 75% efficient wood burning heater before December 31 of this year (whether that applies to an RV is for you and your tax person to figure out)

Having said that, and I've said this before, if I see smoke coming out of the top of a parked van I'm calling 911! It's ON FIRE!

:p

I did the EPA certified tax thing with the wood burner in my house, but don't know it qualifies in an RV since I don't live in it. And the only small stove I know that's been EPA "certified" is the Kimberly, which is made for people who have more money than brains (>$4000 just for the stove!).

I hope you look a little closer to see if the smoke is coming from a chimney before calling 911! Hate to see you charged for a frivolous 911 call!  :D

Status
Not open for further replies.