Diesel Heater Air Intake Pipe

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m at 9000’ right now and I was happy with how my diesel heater was running. Now you got me worried that I should be expecting sooting problems if I keep running it.
I don’t have my heater yet, but where would sooting show up? Is it easily visible. Would you also know by dwindling performance is it is “sooting” up?

How hot does the heater get? Can it be insulated against noise? Or does insulating it cause it to overheat?

One last question…2kw, 5kw, 8kw;
If I want to keep my insulated F-350 w/high roof warm down to 10 degrees Fahrenheit, what would be the kw output I should be looking for!

I know 10 degrees Fahrenheit is pretty cold, but who knows where I’ll be at any given season. January in N. Dakota, 10 degrees might be considered a heat wave!

Thanks much for your input!

Shooting up is a problem when the heater isn't adjusted for altitude. When it happens the first thing you'll notice is lots of white diesel vapor coming from the exhaust pipe when it tries but fails to light. Bad news on a really cold morning.Sooting up isn't a problem if the heater is tuned for altitude using a CO meter.

The heater itself doesn't make a whole lot of noise, mainly just rushing air from the fan. The plastic shell on the heater doesn't get hot because of all the air flowing through it. You could put insulation around it but it wouldn't make a big difference. The clicking fuel pump is what people often find annoying but that can be mounted outside or insulated.

I'd recommend a 5 kw unit because it's the most common and should provide plenty of heat for the coldest nights.

I don’t have my heater yet, but where would sooting show up? Is it easily visible. Would you also know by dwindling performance is it is “sooting” up?

How hot does the heater get? Can it be insulated against noise? Or does insulating it cause it to overheat?

One last question…2kw, 5kw, 8kw;
If I want to keep my insulated F-350 w/high roof warm down to 10 degrees Fahrenheit, what would be the kw output I should be looking for!

I know 10 degrees Fahrenheit is pretty cold, but who knows where I’ll be at any given season. January in N. Dakota, 10 degrees might be considered a heat wave!

Thanks much for your input!
What I have noticed at 9000’ the heater goes through 2 cycles to start but seems to run fine currently. If it soots up on me lesson learned. I have a 2 kw in my van and highly recommend this size. I normally run the heater on low to low/medium all night when the temps are in the mid 30’s. I would not get a bigger heater because it would get to hot. The diesel heaters largest power draw is starting up. Starting up once and running all night uses very little electricity. After running it like this I always turn the heater up to max for 5 minutes before turning off. I had read this can help with soot deposits after running all night on low.

On the install the heater does need airflow. I wouldn’t worry about the heater noise as the fuel pump is a noticeable tick noise. I choose to not bother with the noise. That tick sound means I’m warm and cozy. If it where to bother me I’d just play a podcast or white noise to sleep to.