Tiger 4.5 liter thermal slow cooker

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maki2

Reaction score
Today's lucky thrift store find :)

A Tiger brand 4.5 liter, non electric, thermos pot, slow cooker. This is a brand from Japan but sold everywhere. 

I saw a stainless steel pot in a green fabric carrying bag on the bottom shelf. I had no clue what it was but that fabric cover made me think that maybe it was a set of camping cookware so I took a closer look at it. I have of course seen threads here and there on different forums about non electric slow cookers and also seen videos of hay box cooking in England during WWII when fuel was in short supply. But I had never seen one of these cookers in person. I do know they are great for savings on the cost of cooking fuel which is certainly important as it can add up quickly if you want to make something such as a pot roast that needs long slow cooking. Of course there is always pressure cooking, that works too and I do have one of those. 

What a great find this was, as it turned out this brand has a great reputation for being well made with excellent heat retention as the outside surround is a true double layer, stainless steel, vacuum thermos. Other than needed a quick scrub on the interior of the pot it was in perfect condition and had the bonus of the carrying bag too. After using my phone to do a quick search to find out what it was and how much they cost I knew I  could not possibly resist trying out a non electric slow cooker priced at only $12.00 that retails on Amazon for $135.00. Even if I decided not to keep it I could make a very tidy profit by reselling it.

I did some browsing on youtube and found a lot of great tips and recipes from an Australian slow cooker company making all kinds of things, stews, soups, pot roast, slow cooked pulled pork, and even chocolate and carrot cakes.  Here are the keywords for that Aussie cooker if you want to watch some of their videos "shuttle chef thermal cooker"

Looks like I will be having some fun experimenting with it. I am already thinking how great it would be to have for potluck dinners with friends. Everyone contributing a little something to put into the stew, soup or chili, would make a fun and easy to do communal cooking project.

Latest posts