Throw away or wash?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Washing dishes in the back of a van is one of my least fav things to do , washing them outside is no problem for me though .
So for now its paper plates until I find a better system , the main problem for me is the thought of splashing greasy/dirty water anywhere near the interior , I have a huge pet peeve about spilling anything in the interior and so thats were part of my paranoia about getting the interior dirty comes from.
When eating outdoors I wash.

I use metal silverware, and try to stick with one pan meals.  

I have a large mug, and a stack of paper plates, a couple pieces of corelle.  My favorite is when I can use paper towels.  

I can go for a week and only generate a small bag of trash.

I use a cast Iron skillet in the oven, and a ceramic non stick on the cooktop My cast Iron gets wiped, never washed, but it still sticks pretty bad on the cooktop
The ceramic skillet usually just needs a wipe, too
I currently can't do normal dishwashing thanks to a bout of contact dermatitis on my hands, so a lot of paper towels get used along with a spray bottle of bleach (take that, germs) and yes, paper plates, though I prefer real ones
I do often just eat out of the pan, saves time and dishes

ArtW said:
I currently can't do normal dishwashing thanks to a bout of contact dermatitis on my hands...

Rubber gloves. Or not.

I just use a larger cooking pot for dishwashing.  Heat it, add detergent, wash, stack, refill pot, rinse.

If you're using vinegar, have a salad someday with a vinegar & oil dressing.  Set the container down and watch the liquid:  the vinegar hits the bottom, the oil floats on top.  That means if you're cooking/eating anything greasy, you're not really cleaning the dishes, you're just spreading the grease around.  Vinegar does not cut grease, nor flush it away.

Eventually, you may acquire a nice case of food poisoning.  In the van.  In a place with no tap water.  And no toilet.  Keep a good supply of Immodium on hand.

(I can't believe how lazy some people are!  WHY let the dog lick the plates???  LICK THEM YOURSELF!  *sheesh!*)

speedhighway46 said:
Hello Tribe:

My wife and I are on the road for ten days in southern Michigan, doing a little camping, wondering, and following the white line to where it may lead us.

During our dinner last night, using paper plates and plastic "silverware" my wife asked, "Do the CRVL folks use throw away stuff to eat their meals,or do they wash and reuse?"

Throw away generates trash at every meal, but certainly conserves water used for washing. But carrying a supply or paper plates, cups, and plastic eating tools takes room and is bulky. Washing uses water, but is efficient in terms of storage taking minimal space.

So what say you; what is your preference?

Thanks.
Both, depending. Usually wash. This is my home. I am not just camping.

I was wondering if the dog prewashes his crotch before he prewashes the dishes.
You dont know were his tongue has been , LoL

I was wondering if the dog prewashes his crotch before he prewashes the dishes , plus my old dog always liked drinking out of the toilet , you don't know were his tongue has been , LoL

^^^ It's not an issue for met.  The pup is PRE-wash, then dishes washed with vinegar water.  Since there are no food bits left, uses much less water and the vinegar disinfects.

-- Spiff

Speedhighway46 wrote 
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] carrying a supply or paper plates, cups, and plastic eating tools takes room and is bulky."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I would add that there expensive[/font]

My cat has his own plate.  He does a poor job of washing dishes.

Attachments

• jp photos 044.jpg
    jp photos 044.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
I wash and I agree with HDR on the paper and plastic, I don't like eating off them, nor do I think it very environmentally friendly, It takes so little time to wash up that it just is not an issue, I do it right after every meal, sometimes I do it as I am preparing so by the time I have eaten all that is left is a plate a cup and couple utensils.

If you have to wash the cooking pot, it doesn't take much more effort to wash the plate and silverware, too.

Besides, if you let the dog lick the plate, they get to EXPECT it. And, by the way, a friend of mine said never set the spaghetti pot on the table to cool while you've got the Great Dane in the house.....

TrainChaser said:
Besides, if you let the dog lick the plate, they get to EXPECT it.
And your point?
re the great dane, probably need to set the spaghetti of top of the fridge

I live in my van and at first I was eating out but that got too expensive and it's not very healthy for me anyway. I am trying to lose weight plus I have high blood pressure so I cook my own meals these days. Since living in my van, I tend to do a lot more walking than I was living in a S&B and as a result, I have lost about 20 pounds so far. Although I tend to go for one pot meals, doing dishes is just not a big deal to me. 

VanGrrl57  :)

I scrubbed anything stuck to my pan, like eggs, with desert sand. The soil bakes in the sun. It's clean. Then a spray with vinegar water then paper towel wipe then leave it in the sun to dry. I use half a roll of paper towels. Then I burn the paper. Feels pretty good environmentally and safe enough hygienically.

towhee said:
I scrubbed anything stuck to my pan, like eggs, with desert sand. The soil bakes in the sun. It's clean. Then a spray with vinegar water then paper towel wipe then leave it in the sun to dry. I use half a roll of paper towels. Then I burn the paper. Feels pretty good environmentally and safe enough hygienically.

I would think water would be cheaper than a half a roll of paper towels ,   I've been through the same thing were I was using paper towels trying to preserve water and in the end I ended up with a some what of a pile of paper towels , big enough that it got me thinking I might as well use water