Thoughts on this 1996 Dodge maxi cargo 2500

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobBob

Reaction score
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/5021982378.html

There are not many pictures, but I am thinking about taking a look.  I realize the price is over KBB, but this is the second time it has been listed, so I'm figuring I have some room to bargain.

Are there any particular pitfalls with this make/model/year van?  You all seem so knowledgeable, and I can't find many reviews or much info about this when I search online.  I know almost nothing about mechanical stuff...wish I did.  Should the fact that it just passed inspection give me some peace of mind?

Thanks!
RobBob

RobBob said:
  Should the fact that it just passed inspection give me some peace of mind?

Thanks!
RobBob

That depends - check with the specific state website and do some searching to find out what that state inspection actually consists of.

Most don't require mechanical inspection but rather concentrate on safety equipment - windshield wipers work, seat belts functional, all lights working, windshield intact etc.

Here a mechanical fitness certificate means it runs, it stops, there's no holes into the interior and the tires have enough tread to pass as well as the safety stuff. Mine passed with 13 year old OEM tires that were cracked and way past their safe driving years - they had enough tread though... :rolleyes:

In most cases the state mandated inspection has nothing to do with the actual mechanical parts.

That is only a 3/4 ton, and the back is already sagging.  

Just saying.  

Says 6 cylinder. Better check that. Looks like some rust on the right side middle. Check all underneath on frame!

If it was an 8 cylinder (318 or 360) that would be preferable. If it isn't rusted very much, like only surface, that's important. know it's "over book") but really? Just how many long wheelbase vans that are "clean" with (suspiciously) low mileage are going to be like $2,000?

The deal breaker for me is the 6 cylinder. Confirm that, pull a carfax to verify (or try to) the miles, verify mechanical driving condition and working air, ps, suspension, steering, shifting of the trains, fluid conditions, braking, all that. Then if the interior is ok, offer say 3$. Everyone thinks they can get vans all day long for a grand or so. Not likely. In your neck of the woods, rusts kills more vehicles than everything else combined. If you find one without much of any rust, that's rare and should be considered as a big plus. Ever fought with rust repairs? It takes materials and lots of time! Take a small magnet and check all the lower body panels for bondo.

A poster said its sagging. Considering the age, that's fairly common with the long body overhang on original worn out springs. Consider a helper spring, re arching the existing springs, replacing with new springs, installing some junkyard 1 ton springs, or buying air bags.

Again, verify that motor. Maybe it was swapped out. Don't quite know how you could tell. The important thing is does the engine have enough grunt to get you around knowing that you may add 1,000 pounds of stuff? An empty van will drive differently. That's my .03.

First and foremost I would give a lot of serious consideration to whether you can be happy living in a box with no windows. When I had a cargo van it was the most miserable experience I ever had. Besides all of the Cops/Thieves/Parking problems I had with it, the lack of windows brought on depression, fear, and claustrophobia issues that I never had either before or since with anything that had adequate windows.

A lot of people, myself included, don't make for happy cave dwellers.

If you like the van you can cut a window in and won't have all the glass that window vans have.
Here's some reference info for you on the Dodge B body van...
From the Dodge Allpar.com website:

Throughout their life, the B-vans had rear leaf springs and shock absorbers, with an independent coil front suspension. Steering was power recirculating ball, with a tight turning radius for most of the B-vans’ lifespan (ending with the 1998 changes).

Chris Coleman added, “The B-van was a unibody design that used two full-length open U-channels welded to the floorpan to reinforce the body structure. Although the B-van shared components with the Dodge truck line, such as suspension, brakes, driveline, and steering components, it never used a true frame. Like most unibody vehicles, it had a separate bolt-on front K-member to carry the front suspension, steering, and engine.”

In 1993, the 360 got the same treatment for 230 hp and 325 lb-ft of torque; it also got returnless fuel injection, which was added to the other engines in 1994. Other 1994 changes included revised camshafts to broaden the torque curve of the 3.9 and increase the torque of the 5.2 (by 10 lb-ft); non-CFC refrigerant; optional four-wheel antilock brakes; front side door beams; better roof crush protection; new body panels; and standard automatic transmissions. For 1995 a driver-side airbag and knee bolster were made standard, and four-wheel antilock brakes were available on heavy-duty 3500 models up to 9,000 pounds GVWR; a CNG (natural gas) engine was available on 3500 Maxi-Van and Wagon (this would continue through 2000 at least). Then, for 1996, an electronic-control four-speed automatic was added; ventilation was improved for vehicles without air conditioning; and the base GVWR was raised to 6,010 pounds.

1994 Engine Vehicles

5.9 (360) Ram 1500 and 2500, Van, Wagon. 230 hp @4,000. 330 torque @3200

5.2 (318) Dakota, Ram Van, Ram Wagon. 220 hp @4400. 295 torque @3200

3.9 V6 Dakota, Ram Van, Ram Wagon. 175 hp @4800. 225 torque @3200

Antitheft protection was increased, the side and rear cargo doors opened wider, a power connector was added for easier van conversions, and underhood service points were marked more clearly. Cloth reclining bucket seats were available as an option; a redesigned Rear Plumbing Group with underhood quick disconnects was added; door check straps were redesigned; and a cassette stereo was made standard.

Gas mileage in 1997 ranged from 15/17 with the 3.9 to 11/14 with the 360 3500 Wagon (the 1500 or 2500 wagon were rated at 12/17 with the 360). The 318’s dizzying variety of powertrains and models varied mileage from 12/14 to 13/17. Automatic transmissions in 1997 were the 32RH and 36RH three-speed automatics and the 46RE four-speed overdrive automatic. The alternator was now 117 amps for the van and 136 amps for the wagon, and a 35 gallon tank was standard."

I've driven three B-series vans at work for extended periods of time: a 1984 Dodge Royal 350 extended length with all of the seats taken out for cargo, a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 Cargo Van, and a 1998 Dodge Ram 3500 Passenger Van of extended length with the seats removed for cargo. I've also driven a smattering of other Dodges that we have at work, along with other American brands, and they each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Having driven the 1984 and the 1997 B-van, it's clear that they didn't really change a lot other than the front frascia. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Both vans still shared the same interior design, with the same dashboard/gauges/radio placement, the same seat designs that still went back through the seventies, and the same interior door and window frame paneling.

These vans were incredible in traffic ;) as they could U-turn in the same space as your average modern mid-size sedan. The smallest engine of the bunch was in the 1997, which had a 318 mated to a 727 Torqueflite (that's right, no overdrive), but as a Magnum motor, probably outperformed the 360 with the Quadrajet in the 1984. The 1998 has a 360 with an A518, and easily moves itself plus a cargohold full of equipment."

So there's some info.

Cracked windshield too, I tend to take a look, make a low offer, walk away if they won't take it and let them have another couple weeks of craigslist therapy before re-offering. Seems like a $2,500 van all day long in my area but we have a lot of vans here. I would go offer low two thousands and see what happen, you know the urgency and how easy they are to find in your area. I have personally not loved the Dodge vans I have had but can't really say I hated them either, I'm just open to something different so I'm going with the Chevy Express this time around.

Oh and the V6 would make that thing either a $1,500 van or flat out deal breaker for me.

Thanks so much for all the great information!  From the responses, it sounds like the 6 cylinder engine may be underpowered, which didn't occur to me, as it is a 2500 model, which I understand usually means a bit larger engine, heavier suspension, etc.  I didn't see a crack in the windshield, but what looks like reflections.  I guess I'd have to see it in person to really tell.

The lack of windows is something I view as a blank canvas, to perhaps add a couple larger windows from a conversion van, but not the full set all around.  I like privacy.  :)  

Rust is definitely a problem here, and would be one of the first things I check for.  All of you in the southern states whose vehicles are not plagued by this are soooo lucky!

Decent, relatively inexpensive vans seem to be pretty rare in my area.  Fortunately, I have the luxury of waiting for the right one, and my limited funds mean that I can't afford to jump on the wrong one.  I am hoping/planning to retire in a year, but could do that a bit earlier if circumstances allowed.  

Again, thanks for your feedback!  I think I will wait for this ad to come up again before contacting the seller.

RobBob

What would this do for you? Has the power and room... In your Pittsburg area too...

2004 GMC 3500 Savana box van - $3750 (Belle Vernon)

See your Pittsburg craigslist. 6.0 liter gas, 1 ton, van body with nice straight walls and flat roof, did I mention standing room? Yea a few rust spots but this is probably minor for a Pittsburg vehicle. 160K miles, these trucks will go over 200 easy... Just trying to help you out...

Or this: same location, same craigslist, about 3 more ads later on...

Great deal! Dodge Ram Van - $2800 (Pittsburgh)

Can't tell if it's a 2500 or not. Has windows. No details...

Geez, what's up with Pittsburg? In about 10 ads I've seen 4 that I'd look at...

1992 Chevy Conversion Van - $1600 (Upper St Clair). approx 135,000 miles on it. Van is in good shape. just needs a few minor repairs. Minimal rust on the under body, Not inspected, Very nice interior. 10' TV with surround sound, wood trim and new tires.
Looking for $1600.
If you have any questions or would like to take a look at it, feel free to shoot me a email.
Thanks for looking!!

I'd need 40-400 ads to find this in Phoenix... Too bad it's so stinkin far away...

And a 2007 sprinter for 8995... Geez... In New Eagle Pa:

SPRINTER odometer: 265000 VIN: WD0PE746275133662 paint color : white size : full-size type : van drive : rwd fuel : gas transmission : automatic title status : clean cylinders : 6 cylinder

VERY NICE TWO OWNER WELL MAINTAINED 2500 SPRINTER VAN!! WHITE EXTERIOR WITH GRAY INTERIOR. MOTOR REPLACED AT LITTLE OVER 200K. CURRENT PA EMISSIONS AND INSPECTION STICKERS. TIRES CLOSE TO NEW. THIS SPRINTER IS NOT BEAT UP AND HAS NO RUST ISSUES. GIVE US CALL AT 724-258-5933

You've got tons to look at there. I'm jealous...

LeeRevell said:
How does one fit a ten foot TV inside a van?  That would be worth seeing just for curiosity!

It does say "conversion van"  ;)

So OP, did any of these sound interesting or doable? I'm not a concierge but I'm open to poking around and looking for you if you need help. Course I can't go see anything...

Thanks for all the suggestions, Dusty!  I like the room of a box van, but don't want to drive anything bigger than an extended van.  There are some financial limitations (about $3000 max. available right now, but am saving), so don't want to settle for something iffy now when I will have more choices in a few months, hopefully.  The Sprinter is nice, but too expensive right now, and it attracts more attention than a regular van.  I really liked the van with the rust, but I didn't like the body rust (wonder what the frame looks like!), as I have no welding skills and would have to pay to have it fixed.  It must seem like I'm being pretty picky, but at my age, I am hoping this will be the last vehicle I will need to buy, so am looking for a fairly solid vehicle that will last a while.  I am leaning towards a conversion van, and while I am keeping my eye on Craigslist now, in case an amazing deal pops up, I'm thinking that when the summer is over, more decent conversion vans will be available in my price range.

I get what everyone is saying about trade-offs.  With every vehicle I look at, there seem to be compromises.  I very much appreciate the different viewpoints of all of the kind folks here who take the time to share their perspectives and their wisdom.  It is much better to learn from the mistakes or hindsight of others than to have to make all the mistakes yourself!   :)

RobBob

You're quite welcome. If you want or need any more "bird dogging" then shout out. Since you seem to know what you want, I'll let you keep looking. I did like that $1600 conversion van... You can get basic body work done for not a whole lot if you check around, references from friends etc...

It's true that in the fall prices will often soften, right now sellers are optimistic. This November they'll want Xmas money...