Thoughts on Preparing for Winter.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We aren't going off-topic, this thread is about staying warm in winter.

If you want to start a new thread about how horrible I am for censoring Off Grid, you are welcome to do so, as long as you are civil.

But it must be on a new thread.
Bob

The only suggestion I have is in line with your decision to keep as much damp fabric out of your van as possible. Instead of using a terry cloth towel, look in the kitchen linens section at Target for flour sack dish towels. They are a bit more than twice the size of regular dish towels, but much smaller than a bath towel, so it might take two of them to dry off after a shower. However, they will hold far less moisture and dry much faster than a regular towel.

Hiking pants rather than jeans would help, too--they dry faster and they will keep you warm even when wet. In most, but not all, cases, synthetics dry faster than cotton.

Keep us posted!

thank you Bob, I finally responded to his insulation theory the other day. highdesertranger

Jana said:
The only suggestion I have is in line with your decision to keep as much damp fabric out of your van as possible. Instead of using a terry cloth towel, look in the kitchen linens section at Target for flour sack dish towels. They are a bit more than twice the size of regular dish towels, but much smaller than a bath towel, so it might take two of them to dry off after a shower. However, they will hold far less moisture and dry much faster than a regular towel.

Hiking pants rather than jeans would help, too--they dry faster and they will keep you warm even when wet. In most, but not all, cases, synthetics dry faster than cotton.

Keep us posted!

Yeah I have thought of getting one of those 'hitech' synthetic travel towels. Put a grommet in each corner then pin it to my backpack. I'd get  smaller sized black one. It will certainly be dry by the time I'm 'home' and no moisture release in the van.

when you are running your vehicle crank that heat up and let it circulate through the van to help dry things out,im in a similar climate just west of portland,or and trap moisture will not only rust but play havoc with your electrical systems as i am dealing with in my 85 k10,i only use it to haul firewood spring and fall and then it sits and i have developed a nice short somewhere draining my battery and i just had to take the instrument cluster out and clean corroded connection

in vancouver barring a couple arctic blasts a pair of thermal socks and light coat will get you by