Thoughts on an old Chinook

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I'm thinking a short Chinook might be the right rig for me (single, older lady who will start out just taking trips, but hopes to transition into full timing at some point).

I like the layout and the purported quality of these rigs, however I can really only afford an older one.  I found a 1989 with 96K miles on it for 
$12, 500.  Is it possible to drop a *new* engine into these?  I'm assuming because they are so well built that the other parts of the RV would still have some life left in them?

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1989-Chinook-CONCOURSE-5002714756

As you can tell, I'm a complete newbie so I thank you in advance for your advice and guidance!

yes, you can replace the engine and transmission or any of the other mechanical parts. however I would not automatically assume the RV parts are going to be trouble-free on a 29 year old RV. highdesertranger

A Chevy platform would be preferable to a Dodge.

Engine's the least of your worries, and if needed (unlikely) usually a reconditioning cheaper than full replacement.

Get any candidate's mechanicals thoroughly checked out by an independent shop that **you** trust.

That last is worth putting just as much time & energy identifying as the candidate vehicle.

I like the Chinook RV's. My opinion is also a Chevy chassis is better. As far as the RV components like refrigerator, heater, water pump, and all that stuff goes, yes they can fail. They do all the time on brand new RV's as well. The refrigerator would be the most expensive thing to replace but it would still cost less than two monthly payments on a new RV of that same type. You could even add solar and replace it with a 12 volt compressor refrigerator.
If a reputable mechanic says it is in good shape, go for it.

John61CT said:
A Chevy platform would be preferable to a Dodge.

Rather a left-field comment considering the OP's post is about a Ford.  :s

I totally love the layout of that Chinook for a single person that is the perfect RV I have wanted one for a while now but I can't afford them but if you got the money you should get it, engine parts are easy to get and the 22r engine is Bulletproof Toyota did a hell of a job. good luck and happy camping.

Sometimes outstanding in left-field's the place to be.

That's a lot of money for a very old Ford. I have seen several very nice Toyota based RVs for that price and their drivelines are much more reliable, especially the 4 cylinder (22R engine). They are slow but rarely break.

Those older Chinook/Fords are cool. Full frames. Only problem I see? Big Block engine. 8mpg.

I have a Dodge-based Chinook and love it. The only problem is fending off people who want to buy it.

I just bought an 1978 class A Dodge, I love it!

However it’s a bit big so I may downsize to something like the chinook in the future. I think the chinook is pretty damn perfect. Negotiate the best price you can because it WILL need work, I bought the older rig knowing I’ll have to put money into it regularly but for me it was better to have something now than waiting and saving. Plus, I have a truly unique rig that I love!

I had one that was on a Datsun chassis. More of a large sized van body with rear table bed. It was great as the Datsun had more power than the Toyota I could pull an aluminum car trailer with a rally car highway speeds and have a place to sleep. The only problem I had was the camper door hinge breaking loose one time.