Thinking of taking out

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacksonricher

Reaction score
I am thinking of taking out the passenger seat for more room. I am single and will have dog travel w me.
. What are the pro's and con's of this? Any comments?

Thanks
Jackson

The pro, more space. The con, you can't take anyone with you. But that may also be a pro! :)

I wouldn't want to remove it only because I like turning the passenger seat around and using it for additional seating. They are usually comfortable, and great for seating at a table and working on the computer, etc. If you don't have a use for it as additional seating, I don't really see any other cons other that wanting to take someone with you for some purpose (ie, dropping off a car somewhere and needing to take the driver back with you, etc). Only you can determine if thats a possibility and how important something like that may be, and whether or not a taxi or other transportation would suffice instead.

With that said, additional storage is always at a premium in a small space, and that might outweigh all the other factors.

I removed mine. I originally put a cabinet there, but now it's where my fridge resides. A fellow camper saw what I did and now wants to do the same.

None it's your comfort. Do what makes you most comfortable and enjoy it. The one thing about having limited space I love is the simplicity of solving design ideas.
Its pretty much go, no go. But we can undo most of the changes quicky so it's never a bad idea to experiment with the idea.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I wanted a swivel seat on the passenger side but the cost was prohibitive. One day I was in the local outlet store and saw some cheap boat seats and a bunch of swivels for them. I removed my passenger seat but left the riser it was bolted to. I bought some aluminum angle and fabricated brackets to mount the boat seat to the riser. Nearly instant swivel seat for under $60. No way would I let anyone ride there but it gives me a fairly comfortable place to sit. The footwell is used for storage.

First I wanted to say that I was touched by your story about how you were gifted the van, congratulations!

Secondly about removing the front seat...

Your dog might like to look out the window when traveling.

Instead of removing the seat maybe turn it backwards and then both you and the dog can use it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

How about a swivel base so you can turn the seat around when you want seating when stopped.

A swivel base cost money and is an option, but turning the seat backwards would only require a little labor that might be a do it yourself kind of job. Then some time later a swivel could be installed if it was desired.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ratfink56 said:
I removed my passenger seat but left the riser it was bolted to. I bought some aluminum angle and fabricated brackets to mount the boat seat to the riser. Nearly instant swivel seat for under $60.

Oh wow, this is so great. The passenger seat in my van is huge, taking up so much space. More art supplies if I did this!

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

Jacksonricher said:
I am thinking of taking out the passenger seat for more room. I am single and will have dog travel w me.

When I was traveling in a Subaru Forester I took out the passenger seat and built a platform to extend my bed so I could stretch out.  The beagle rode there during the day; he much preferred that to a seat (more room to maneuver).  It also made more storage space.  The only downside was the 'seat belt unbuckled ' idiot light stayed on.  I just put a piece of tape over it.

Jacksonricher said:

Thanks
Jackson

I would keep it and make a swivel. Might keep the dog off your lap when he wants to see out. Only you can make the final decision.

I left the seat in and glad I did. Adding a swivel base sounds good and a place for the dog or a rider.
I got most of the lift stuff out and realized how big this back is, nice. Lol nice and big empty, that is until iadd stuff. Lol.
Seat stays!