Thinking and Planning, Hello everyone

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Singe810

Reaction score
Hello,

I have long considered vandwelling, but I tend to be overly cautious when it comes to new things. I have spent countless hours here on the forum and blogs trying to get the plans 'just right'. My biggest worry comes down to money. In the near future, I would have no problem working seasonal and probably lowish paying jobs while roaming the country. But I worry this will not leave me enough to have some form of savings when I 'retire'

I currently work a decent paying job in IT, but the 40 hour grind is not really what I signed up for. :p It has taken me the last few years to get out of a hole I dug myself, and I don't want to fall back in when I leave a steady income...

Sorry for the rambling introduction, just trying to work things out. Let the journey begin! :)

Singe810, Welcome to the CRVL forums! The mobile life is very fluid. That makes a change of plans much easier to accept than other lifestyles. I'm sure reading through the blogs and forums you've noticed that change is a part of the lifestyle. It might take awhile to embrace.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Singe810,

Hello & welcome. I'm interested in hearing about your journey.

Cheers,

GypsyChic

Singe810, that is probably the single most difficult question we all have to face. You have two choices:

1) Give up the best years of your life when you are most energetic and in best health for your old age, in poorest health, and possibly going to get sick and die at any time.
2) Live life fully in your younger years while you are in your best health and sacrifice your old age.

Ideally you can find a middle-ground. So far I haven't been able to find it.

Only you can decide which is right for you. My general advice is to think ahead to your death bed, which will you most regret?
Bob

Singe810 -- am in the same exact situation. What you can do instead is to look at temporary contracted jobs only. You can do work for three months then take off three months. Am thinking about being a substitute teacher at college and high school and junior high myself. Then just work for the term that the full timer is out. After my contract is up I live off my savings. Considering Obama is trying to make community college free, someone has to pay for the teachers.

Thank you everybody for the encouragement. I think the plan right now is to get the van and work on it to get it livable. I have a lease on an apartment that is good through August, so that should give me plenty of time. Once I get moved into the van, I have found a friend who will let me park at their house, so I don't have to worry so much about stealth at the moment. I will keep my current job for a while to get some savings built up :) Hopefully quite a bit once I shed the rent payment.

The nice thing is I work a 4 day work week, so I will have plenty of opportunities to test my van set up and explore the state. 3 hours to the beach, 4 to the mountains... I see lots of weekend trips in the future...

Hanging on to the in is a good plan. A 4 day work week is great.

Latest posts