Thinking about allowing leave no trace camping on my land

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freedomquest

Reaction score
We have been thinking about allowing no trace camping on our land for one, no more than two boondockers, we were thinking to do this with donations if one can.  It seems to be the only answer to becoming owners of our own rig.  Any suggestions on this idea would be greatly appreciated.

It's something we have toyed with for over 5 years but haven't known where to begin.

I have heard a number of conversations about this as a way to support the community while receiving reasonable compensation.

I’m currently in Western Washington where I spend some summers. I sit on a 2 acre secluded plot surrounded but tall cedars. No services, and I pay $100 month.

I am considering purchasing acreage in the southwest and sharing it with other like minded nomads myself.

Your idea sounds good for both you and those needing a camping spot in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out hipcamp and boondocking welcome. I'm sure there are others

Those are pricy options that might not fit most in the nomad community.

The first place that came up in hipcamp in my area was $80 a night.

Mrcap said:
I have heard a number of conversations about this as a way to support the community while receiving reasonable compensation.

I’m currently in Western Washington where I spend some summers. I sit on a 2 acre secluded plot surrounded but tall cedars. No services, and I pay $100 month.

I am considering purchasing acreage in the southwest and sharing it with other like minded nomads myself.

Your idea sounds good for both you and those needing a camping spot in your area.

Your area sounds beautiful.  I have been binge watching Bob Wells.  Years back it was several other youtube nomads.  We have always loved hitting the road and just seeing where it takes us, and want to do it more. 

I would never give up my land though, we have worked very hard putting in the orchard and greenhouse, and we love our little home.  I know others would enjoy the peace we have as well.

I think people are generous to others who are giving, and think that this may be our only chance to get out and explore before we get to old. 

We are very friendly yet private people.  If you have any suggestions as to how we could network with others who wish to do this, we might be able to start something amazing.

Mrcap said:
Those are pricy options that might not fit most in the nomad community.

The first place that came up in hipcamp in my area was $80 a night.

WOW, I think the Red Roof in is less.

No one says you need to charge more than what you think is fair.

Be wary of liability issues, certainly want to charge enough to cover the cost of good insurance.

Your jurisdiction may have regulatory requirements as well.

Bobflhtc said:
Check out hipcamp and boondocking welcome. I'm sure there are others

Thank you Bobflhtc for that information.  I just looked at their site, I will consider it.  

John61CT said:
No one says you need to charge more than what you think is fair.

Be wary of liability issues, certainly want to charge enough to cover the cost of good insurance.

Your jurisdiction may have regulatory requirements as well.

All true statements, I once looked into this extensively a few years back and our State encourages private land owners to open up to the public.  I need to revisit my old research and see what's possible now.

Heck, my property is on a lake in the foothills of the cascades in eastern Wa. Looks like a Dutch Masters painting out my window and probably couldn't get 80.00 a night.

How about renting the house and taking off for the winter?